800-Horsepower Hybrid to Race the 24 Hours of Nurburgring

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The guys behind the Gumpert Apollo supercar hope to prove that "green" and "performance" aren't mutually exclusive when they line up at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring endurance race in a hybrid producing 800 horsepower.

It will compete alongside gasoline-powered cars from the likes of Porsche, Audi and BMW on one of the most famous tracks in motor racing, and it opens another front in the campaign to make auto racing more environmentally responsible. The Indy Racing League runs 100 percent ethanol and Formula 1 teams must use kinetic energy recovery systems beginning next year, and German boutique automaker Gumpert wants to see more gas-electric drivetrains on the grid.

"Motorsports cannot ignore the necessity to save energy," says former F1 driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen, who with Dirk Müller will drive the Apollo. "I see a chance that our sport will go back to the forefront of technical development, making cars outside the race track more energy efficient."

Full Post on WIRED.com

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 800-Horsepower Hybrid to Race the 24 Hours of Nurburgring

Post by complacent »

intrigue, i has.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hmmm... I has 5 days to devise a plan to get to Germany without paying for it...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

zaxrex wrote:Hmmm... I has 5 days to devise a plan to get to Germany without paying for it...
don't forget your large, pressurized suitcase...
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

zaxrex wrote:Hmmm... I has 5 days to devise a plan to get to Germany without paying for it...
I vote for Cannon Travel. :mrgreen:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."