More ramblings from a madman

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

More ramblings from a madman

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Today's random topic that came into my head...

Superchargers. I've heard of it being done to several SVXs as well as at least one Impreza. This is again just me thinking but what kind of horsepower gains do you think you'd get? Do they even sell kits like this for subarus or is this a one-off thing that people do?

Haha and yes a turbo would offer more power.. I'm just curious though.

(you can always count on me to come up with the bizzare ideas)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've never seen a SC for a "modern" Subaru (or any Subaru for that matter).
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

There's only been one supercharger I've seen was on a Leggy - and it was completely homebrew. The guy took an Eaton "Roots-Style" blower and fabbed all of the ductwork, pulleys, manifold adapters, etc by hand. He's been at it for over a year now, and he's still fighting with EM issues. You can check out the thread in the Aftermarket Forced Induction Powertrain section of nabisco. Thread found hmah.

In short... don't even think about it... unless you have more money than brains. In which case, give some money to me. kthxbye.

8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

This reminded me of a topic that I saw a long time ago :)

A turbo'ed and SC'ed STI.

Looks like the guy has taken it to the next level and TT/SC :shock:

They sell the kit for 10k :shock: They only made 443WHP/443lbs/ft. The thing is, they had over 250lbs/ft by ~2800RPM!

BTW Dave, the idea behind this is that you use the SC to help the low end and put a larger turbo to deal with the high end of the RPM range. The SC will also help spool the big turbo.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

With the intake on the H4 taking up so much room and another set of heads to worry about, there is not much room to mount a SC that could be belt driven. You could get a "shaker" hood to get some more room under there and mount it.

Thinking about it, it would be probably be easiest to get a crank pully extension and a long belt system to put the SC in the battery, fuse, windshield tank area, after relocating all of them. Or you could reverse the intake manifold and try to squeeze it between the engine and the firewall.

I did hear of a turboed and SC's Impreza a while back, but it was a nightmare to configure.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

yeah i hadn't planned on doing this. it wouldnt be worth it. but very neat to see it has been done though
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I completely forgot about the "twin charged" STi... :oops:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:This reminded me of a topic that I saw a long time ago :)

A turbo'ed and SC'ed STI.
They sell the kit for 10k :shock: They only made 443WHP/443lbs/ft. The thing is, they had over 250lbs/ft by ~2800RPM!
That is just nuts. The air intake is an a semi-optimal spot for ingesting cold air from the hood scoop but when it rains...wonder how he gets around that or even cares...over 250lbs/ft by ~2800RPM that would be nice.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
cheshirecat
Unicycle

Post by cheshirecat »

IIRC, there is a SC kit for the H6 tribeca motor
Brandon

05 WRX STI
03 WRX Wagon

Racing, because all other sports require only 1 ball.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Do you mean the Cobb one? I was surprised that they didn't get more out of it, then again that motor isn't built to take boost.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.