Potential Drag Strip Rental - Gauging Interest

Meets/events for other car clubs in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Warrtalon
I'm a n000b

Potential Drag Strip Rental - Gauging Interest

Post by Warrtalon »

Hello DCAWD members,

I drive an Evo and am the President of DSMCA. We do our own events throughout the year, including get-togethers and dyno days, but I'm looking to do a big track event this year that will include several local car clubs. I'd like to rent out MIR, Mason Dixon, or some other 1/4-mile track in the area for a full day while keeping it at a low price per racer, so that we can all have a blast while tuning, practicing, and racing. It should allow for grudge matches galore: Evo vs STi, Evo/STi vs SRT-4, GTi vs A4, etc etc etc.

If there is any interest here, let me know. I would look to schedule this well in advance (Sep/Oct), and it will most likely be DURING A WEEKDAY, since nothing on the weekend will be affordable. That will understandably negate many people from being able to participate, but that's just how it goes. I have a normal M-F job, but I would take a day off to do this...
05 GG MR
12.22@109.19 (S-AFC, K&N, MBC, MR DV, 3" Cat-Back)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Potential Drag Strip Rental - Gauging Interest

Post by Sabre »

Warrtalon wrote:Hello DCAWD members,

I drive an Evo and am the President of DSMCA. We do our own events throughout the year, including get-togethers and dyno days, but I'm looking to do a big track event this year that will include several local car clubs....
I'm sure some of us might be interested. Please keep us informed of when/where it will be. If you would like input on the above, feel free to post a poll or ask :) Looking forward to hearing more!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I agree w/ Julian. Personally I'm not much of a drag racer, but I do make it out to MIR just to watch. Your idea does sound like a lot of fun and I think it would be a great way to meet other like minded individuals. Thanks much for posting this idea and let us know if/when details start to firm up.

colin

(PS Welcome to the boards!)
Warrtalon
I'm a n000b

Post by Warrtalon »

bluscooby23 wrote:I agree w/ Julian. Personally I'm not much of a drag racer, but I do make it out to MIR just to watch. Your idea does sound like a lot of fun and I think it would be a great way to meet other like minded individuals. Thanks much for posting this idea and let us know if/when details start to firm up.
(PS Welcome to the boards!)
Thanks for the welcome. I am only looking for true enthusiast clubs, but that doesn't seem to be up your alley here at DCAWD. I'm always seeing meets you guys do, so I guess it's more of a hang-out crowd. This event will be for people who USE their cars. EastCoastBoost jumped all over it, so I think they are more in line with what I'm looking for...
05 GG MR
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Warrtalon wrote: This event will be for people who USE their cars. EastCoastBoost jumped all over it, so I think they are more in line with what I'm looking for...

Ouch man!!! :shock: I think you are being a little presumptuous with that one.

I guess you didn't notice the AutoX classes we do with Brian Garfield... Or the Weekend drives.... Or the trips to Summit Point. Personally I do as many FATT's as I can and I never miss events like Hyperfest.

Trust me dude, we USE our cars as well. There is no shortage of enthusiasts here. But, to each his own. :roll: Good luck with your drag event and do keep us posted.

Colin
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Warrtalon wrote: Thanks for the welcome. I am only looking for true enthusiast clubs, but that doesn't seem to be up your alley here at DCAWD. I'm always seeing meets you guys do, so I guess it's more of a hang-out crowd. This event will be for people who USE their cars. EastCoastBoost jumped all over it, so I think they are more in line with what I'm looking for...
If you read above, you'd see that I wanted you to keep us informed of updates since we have some people that would probably interested. Do realize that some of us are not the dragster type, but rather take the time to learn more one way to drive our car. All of us enjoy somt straight line fun, but we also learn about curves, slopes and more on road corses. That is why we are sponsoring a AutoX class with a certified teacher from the SCCA. We also have memebers that regularly go to the likes of VIR, Summit Point and other corses to compete, not for 10-13 seconds, but hours, where the true test of a drivers skill comes into play, and not just his reaction time.

ECB is a awesome group that we hang out with. I'm glad that they are responsive to your posts and hopefully you both will benefit from the meet. Feel free to keep posting about the meet in the Other Club Meets section, but after saying the above, don't be suprised if you get your ass handed to you by some of our memebers at the track.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I live my life a quarter mile at a time
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

i'm a car enthusiast.
Warrtalon
I'm a n000b

Post by Warrtalon »

bluscooby23 wrote:Ouch man!!! :shock: I think you are being a little presumptuous with that one.

I guess you didn't notice the AutoX classes we do with Brian Garfield... Or the Weekend drives.... Or the trips to Summit Point. Personally I do as many FATT's as I can and I never miss events like Hyperfest.

Trust me dude, we USE our cars as well. There is no shortage of enthusiasts here. But, to each his own. :roll: Good luck with your drag event and do keep us posted.
I definitely saw the AutoX classes, but having gone to my first auto-x last week with no experience, training, instructing, or previous interest, I managed to place 5th on stock tires and suspension. This led me to believe there is no need to take an auto-x class except for those of a less aggressive nature. It is good that there were 60 posts in that one thread, so I think you are doing a great job of INSTILLING interest in some real racing (braking and turning), but I also saw that the most recent thread in the auto-x forum was in April, with only 3 total from 2005, so I didn't get the idea many people were participating with regularity.

There isn't a drag forum strangely, but in the Braggin Rights forum, there are only 2 threads, and both are by a DcEvo club guy, so again, I got the idea people didn't do much racing here.

After re-reading my post above, it sounds very abrasive and condescending, so I apologize. I LOVE racing and LOVE cars, and have just recently been bitten by the auto-x bug. I'm sure that after I go to the MachV event at Summit, I will be bitten by that bug, too, and not even want to auto-x anymore. This is the sort of passion/interest I was searching for, but did not see during my perusing of the site. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just not my style, and that's what I was trying to convey.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I apologize for the comments, and I will definitely keep you updated on the tentatively-named Capitol Area Drag War. As for your comment, Julian, I would love nothing more than for some members here to hand me my ass on both the drag strip and tarmac! I don't mind losing...I just love competing at a high level. If someone smokes me, I know they have a fast car and can drive like a maniac, so they get my immediate respect.
05 GG MR
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

well spoken. i figured i'd give you a chance before opening both barrels per se... It's very easy to hold a strong opinion about any of one's passions. I can appreciate as well as understand your opinions now. Thank you for taking the time to post again.

[flamesuit]Actual roadcourse > AutoX > Drag (IMHO) My logic being this:

I bought a car with five gears. I want to use all five. I bought a car with great handling capabilities and brakes, I want to use those as well. I bought a car with a steering wheel that turns in two directions. Again, I want to use that too. There is a very good reason I have a four point harness bar and four point harnesses. I feel that actual road course seat time is the most exhilarating driving experience available to us (unless you rally ;) ) I promise you will LOVE Summit Point. There's nothing like smokin' the brakes at the bottom of the chute, then almost drifting your way through the carousel and then pedal down, fifth gear full boost 150+MPH on the back stretch. I LOVE racing too. I have mad respect for all types of racers. That's why I go to the events at MIR. I can appreciate the rush a great ET can provide. But I want a little more than that. :) [/flamesuit]

as far as the autox placing is concerned, congrats on your fifth place. that is a great result for a first time driver. But you were in a STOCK CLASS. Believe me, that makes a huge difference. And I would also strongly recommend, if you are ever presented with the chance, LET BRIAN GARFIELD DRIVE YOUR CAR. I have raced with and ridden with many drivers in many cars. He is unbelievably comfortable with ANY car at 9/10ths pace. It's a very humbling experience to have someone take your car and beat your best time by 2 or three whole seconds.... on a 35 second course! I think AutoX is a great way to build up your skill set in a relatively consequence free environment. No walls, trees, other cars, etc. I'm sure you can understand what I mean.

If drag is your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.
If autoX is your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.
If track days are your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.

Everybody's preferences are different. Some can't afford to break things in an all out quest for speed. Some aren't happy until it takes a week of tuning to get your ride to limp across the emissions sniffer once every two years. I love it all, and that will never change. Like I said, welcome to the boards. :)

cheers,
colin
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Um, what ^ said...

Damn Colin, you just about read my mind on that one. As Colin said, everyone get's their thrills from different things, wether it's slaming your head against the back of the seat.... or the window ;)

"Bragging right's" is an intersting section... I really debated putting it up. I can tell you, most of our members, including myself, like to keep a low profile. Some of our fastest WRX's have no spoiler one them, I myself bought the quietest exhaust I could etc. So you could think of us as the silent but deadly type ;)

Thank you for apologizing, it does make a big difference. I hope there are no hard feelings and that we do someday meet each other, either at a meet or the track. Either way, I'm sure it will be good times. Take care,
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Warrtalon
I'm a n000b

Post by Warrtalon »

sabre wrote:"Bragging right's" is an intersting section... I really debated putting it up. I can tell you, most of our members, including myself, like to keep a low profile. Some of our fastest WRX's have no spoiler one them, I myself bought the quietest exhaust I could etc. So you could think of us as the silent but deadly type ;)
Actually, this is my favorite type of all. My Talon that could never quite hit 11s looked plain as day. I had no cosmetic mods, but the trained eye would notice the FMIC. Since most don't have trained eyes, especially in relation to 10+ year old Talons, I had quite a lot of fun.

With the Evo, I have more of a target on my back, but I still try to keep the mods simple and effective. I've done only basics, but each one has been for a specific purpose and to add the most HP without being noticeable. The only thing I can't hide is my nice exhaust, but it's getting dirtier by the day, so that should make it more stealthy in due time. :lol:

In fact, if I don't tell people my mods, they won't know what I have without a detailed and close inspection, including a peek into my glove box. :wink:
05 GG MR
Warrtalon
I'm a n000b

Post by Warrtalon »

bluscooby23 wrote: as far as the autox placing is concerned, congrats on your fifth place. that is a great result for a first time driver. But you were in a STOCK CLASS. Believe me, that makes a huge difference. And I would also strongly recommend, if you are ever presented with the chance, LET BRIAN GARFIELD DRIVE YOUR CAR. I have raced with and ridden with many drivers in many cars. He is unbelievably comfortable with ANY car at 9/10ths pace. It's a very humbling experience to have someone take your car and beat your best time by 2 or three whole seconds.... on a 35 second course! I think AutoX is a great way to build up your skill set in a relatively consequence free environment. No walls, trees, other cars, etc. I'm sure you can understand what I mean.

If drag is your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.
If autoX is your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.
If track days are your primary thing, AWESOME. It's an addictive rush.
No flamesuit needed for the road course opinions. After doing the auto-x, I was forever changed, since I had only ever drag raced before. As I mentioned above, I can only ASSUME that going to Summit will have a similar effect in that it will be exhilirating while making auto-x seem not as fun. I just think that in this case, road racing will be much more expensive in terms of initial cost (entry fees), in terms of time (longer drive/whole weekend), in terms of maintenance (more tires, more brakes), and in terms of danger (obviously). Since this is my daily driver, and I am trying to keep it looking and feeling stock while maintaining the warranty, I probably won't be able to do the road racing with frequency, whereas I can do auto-x every 2 weeks without much problem. I just hope I don't get too hooked on road racing after going to Summit. :shock:

In my auto-x, I wasn't in a stock class. It was just one field with no classes...they called it "run what ya brung," so there were all sorts of cars with any level of modification, whether it be power, handling, or braking. As I mentioned, the 4 who beat me were all on racing tires (R compounds or slicks). The guy who came in first had a stripped '92 civic hatch with an RSX K20 engine swap, slicks on all 4s protruding from the wheelwells, race seats, and the standard power mods (intake/exhaust). Another example would be the 2 or 3 supercharged S2000s, one of which had a frontmount. They were making huge power, but they weren't as fast through the cones. If this is still considered STOCK CLASS, then I probably am not keen on what the different classes are in standard auto-x. This wasn't an SCCA event, so it wasn't broken down like normal.

I don't disagree that Brian could probably jump right in and cut a few seconds off of my time, but I was happy to only finish .9s slower than the aforementioned K20 Civic in my first event. This week, I will be racing with the same group but with Kumho R Compounds...we'll see how much of a difference that makes.
05 GG MR
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

personally i feel auto x is more challenging than circuit, because auto x is always changing, there is no way to set your car up for it like the track. it also can involve a barrage of different turns in shorter radiuses, so what if you don't get to use 4th and 5th.

but personally i find mountain roads to be the hardest driving conditions, especially two ways, and i am just generalizing mountain roads as twisty curvy and twitchy.