lowering?

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

25rsfun
I'm a n000b

lowering?

Post by 25rsfun »

i wanna lower my car to give it a more aggressive look, any ideas where to begin, or suggestions/product reviews?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

What year RS do you have? And older GC8(99-01) style? Or a newer GD(04-05)?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
25rsfun
I'm a n000b

Post by 25rsfun »

its an 05
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I may know someone with a set of H-Techs from a WRX that will be for sale soon...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

well chit man... you've got literally tons of options.

If you want to lower it slightly and maintain the smoothness of the stock struts - I'd probably recommend either the STi pink springs (about an inch lower than stock wrx/rs springs) or the Tein H-Tech springs. Both offer increased spring rates, a decent drop without going too low, and will work with your stock struts well.

If you reeeely wanted to killer handling package, I would say grab a set of STi (04 only) struts (look for take-offs), pair those with STi pink springs, and throw in some STi hardened top-hats and you would have the beginning of a killer suspension setup.

I guess I'd need more info before making the call. I'm being totally serious here, so please don't take offense... What kinda driver are you? Are you a ricer? Do you only want the slammed look, regardless of how poorly it might handle?

Are you a "I'll take the twisty way home from work" kinda person? Do you like to take a "spirited" run through the turns on your favorite road?

Are you an Auto-X fiend? Do you like carving some cones every weekend?

Are you a track-head (rhymes w/ crack-head for a reason)? Do you live to do nothing more than practice your lines and leave lesser drivers in the grass at the end of turn 10?

What are your goals? I know you said you want a more aggressive look, but what about handling and comfort? Which are more important to you. Out of handling, looks and comfort, you can really only pick two.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
25rsfun
I'm a n000b

Post by 25rsfun »

i'm definetly going for the best of both worlds, not only do i want it to look good but i have to have great handling too.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

25rsfun wrote:i'm definetly going for the best of both worlds, not only do i want it to look good but i have to have great handling too.
ah, another knight in search of the holy grail. I too am on this quest... :wink: I have an 04 WRX with h-tech springs and stock struts. she looks great but I'm just not happy with the total package, now I'm looking elsewhere. Darrin just upgraded his waggon suspension with some take-offs, but I don't know the exact set-up off the top of my head. I'll research his setup and maybe he'll chime in.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Darrin has Spec C take-offs. They rawk

If you are comfortable with a somewhat stiff ride, I would highly recommend STi struts with Tanabe GF210 or STi JDM pink springs. serious grip.

But while you're at it, don't ignore your swaybars! :)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Mr Kleen wrote:Darrin just upgraded his waggon suspension
Wagon specific Koni inserts with top-hats, and I think KYB springs.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

To set the record straight, mine is the 4 way adjustable STi wagon struts, STi pink springs and STi hardened tophats. Yep, I got a whole lot of pink going on under my wheel wells now.

Here are my thoughts on my set-up so far:
The ride height is a bit "off" in my opinion (The front sits a bit high and the rear a bit low.)

The struts are currently set at 2 out of 4, 1 being soft 4 being stiff.
I have to say it is one of the best balanced set-ups I've ever had. The ride is significantly stiffer than stock, but not at all unbearable. The initial pitch of the front over a bump or into a turn is very slight but is just enough not to be jarring. The rear is now spot-on. In the past I hated the way the rear rotated it always seemed too "floaty" and the tail would wag a bit too much. The rear never felt "connected" and it always felt as though the front was always pulling the car through the turn, not the rear pushing it. Now the tail sits just a bit, and I can feel the rears really "push" under throttle. Before the swap I feared oversteer, now I can't get enough.

To give you an example: Before the 495 on ramp from 395 N. was converted I would never go round it at more than 40-45 mph on my stock set-up. Just beofre it was shut down for good I made a run at over 60 mph and felt I could have even pushed further.

My tires are now the limiting aspect of the suspension. I'm currently looking to pick-up another set of wheels with some "summer only" tires and see what this set-up can 'really" do.

There is another set of these from the same guy I got my set-up here:
www.jdmpartstx.com

If your looking for less expensive options, I'd look into a set of tein, swift, eibach or tanabe springs and a set of KYB AGX or tokico D-Spec struts.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Oops, I had read the last PM from you and that was the route that you were thinking of.

Sowwy.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

it would appear i'm off as well. oops...
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

hmm i am now interested in this thread as well. I didnt notice he had an 05 RS! im not alone!

I'm still looking into buying thsoe maddads from SW but would i have a better ride with something else? personalyl id ont care about the look. I dont want a slammed ride. I drive offroad daily (i live on a poorly maintained unpaved road for starters... we're talking 4-6 inch deep potholes)

I've already scraped a bit in on my stock suspension. I cant drop more than an inch wihtout risking my fenders.

So should i make will happy and buy his maddads or keep looking for something more suited to what i want
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Cereb Daithi wrote:hmm i am now interested in this thread as well. I didnt notice he had an 05 RS! im not alone!

I'm still looking into buying thsoe maddads from SW but would i have a better ride with something else? personalyl id ont care about the look. I dont want a slammed ride. I drive offroad daily (i live on a poorly maintained unpaved road for starters... we're talking 4-6 inch deep potholes)

I've already scraped a bit in on my stock suspension. I cant drop more than an inch wihtout risking my fenders.

So should i make will happy and buy his maddads or keep looking for something more suited to what i want
You can always find something better than the maddad's...basically a nice coilover system but that will be $1000+. For the money vs. performance gain, you can't beat the maddad springs for $100 BRAND NEW! :shock:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer