2012 Ford Focus ST Unveiled in Hatchback and Wagon Versions

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2012 Ford Focus ST Unveiled in Hatchback and Wagon Versions

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report

Ford has officially unveiled the high-performance version of the new Focus that we've been waiting for. The 2012 Ford Focus ST is set to have its official world debut this week at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.

The 2012 Ford Focus ST will be available in over 40 markets and is powered by Ford's 2.0L EcoBoost engine that packs 247 horsepower and 265 lb-ft. of torque. The 2.0L engine is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. The previous Focus ST was powered by a five-cylinder engine that had a distinct sound. The five-cylinder engine may be gone, but Ford's engineers have worked hard to make sure the sounds from the new four-cylinder are equally as satisfying.

For buyers that love everything about the Focus ST, Ford has also unveiled a new wagon version of the Focus ST. Unfortunately only the Focus ST hatchback will be available in the U.S.

"The new Focus is a fantastic car to develop an ST model from," said Matthias Tonn, chief program engineer for the Focus ST. "It's a solid shell with precise handling as standard, as customers around the world have already found out. It doesn't compromise on any area in any region of the world, and Focus ST builds upon that strength to give our global performance customers the car they want, the car they have been asking for."
I bet these cars are a blast to drive :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2012 Ford Focus ST Unveiled in Hatchback and Wagon Versi

Post by drwrx »

I have been waiting for this car for 20 years.
I am currently out of the market, but I hope it sells well anyhow.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

has ford found a way to mitigate torque steer? i'd hate for this to become another mazdaspeed3.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Actually, they have found a way to minimize it. I know I saw the article on it. I'll search for it tonight and post up.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

yes....they did some excellent engineering with the suspension design and packaging of the drivetrain (to get close to equal length driveshafts).
The ST uses a new variable-ratio steering rack that decreases sensitivity in a straight line and increases sensitivity during cornering, according to Ford's engineers. The new steering rack is paired with an electric power steering system and a torque steer compensation system (TSC). When TSC detects torque steer, it communicates to the power steering system, which counteracts the effect to eliminate torque steer feel for the driver.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hmm, while I have never been a fan of adaptive or speed sensitive steering, maybe this time the benefits outweigh the effects.
The engineers designed around the problem. Problem still exists.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

No....see the first half of my post. There's a mechanical design to the suspension too...intended to limit torque steer
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:No....see the first half of my post. There's a mechanical design to the suspension too...intended to limit torque steer
Indeed it is. They call it the "revo-knuckle" or some such. They learned about mitigating torque steer on the Focus RS 500.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I wish they had brought that state side :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:I wish they had brought that state side
+1111111111111111111

There is a long list of Ford products that I wish were available in the states for the past 20+ years.

It's nice to see we are FINALLY getting at least a sample of what has been available to the rest of the world for so long.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

But Americans would never buy it. When it comes to Ford all Americans want are Mustangs and pickups.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Libra Monkee wrote:But Americans would never buy it. When it comes to Ford all Americans want are Mustangs and pickups.
This is a sad truth.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Would you pay STi money for a FWD Ford? The RS 500 is great but only makes sense here in Europe.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:Would you pay STi money for a FWD Ford? The RS 500 is great but only makes sense here in Europe.
Point taken, but would you pay sub Civic Si money for a Focus ST?

Yes! Yes I would!
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I'd pay up to $35K for: sporty hatch with >100mph 1/4 time, crisp handling, 35+mpg. AWD would be nice but I'm not picky.

An Audi A3 quattro with APR Stage II+ would fit this nicely (but I'm over modding...at least for now). The upcoming Veloster Turbo might be interesting as well the 1.5T is reported to be VERY stout)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:...would you pay sub Civic Si money for a Focus ST?
The ST would be at the top of my list. The Si wouldn't be on the list. :(
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:The Si wouldn't be on the list. :(
Pretty shocking coming from you, I know you loved your Si.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Shocking? Have you seen a Honda showroom lately??? They don't sell my Si any more... :notcool:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Sabre wrote:I wish they had brought that state side :(
the ST? It is coming. Front page of ford.com has it on there
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I think he was talking about the RS500.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Just got a chance to respond. Gabe is right :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

2013 Ford Focus ST Packs 252-HP and Starts at $24,495

Ford has announced the pricing for the high-performance 2013 Ford Focus ST, which has a starting price at $24,495. The Ford Focus ST is powered by a 2.0L turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder engine with 252 horsepower and 270 lb-ft. of torque.

The Focus ST is Ford's first global performance car and will integrate a collection of advanced and sport-oriented technologies previously unavailable to North American customers. The Focus ST is powered by a reworked EcoBoost 2.0L engine. "The power delivery has no weak spots, there's no way to be left flat-footed," said Lisa Schoder, Ford Focus ST Marketing manager.. "At the same time, drivers wanting to spin this motor into the upper octaves will be rewarded."

The Focus ST gets a unique sport suspension with a variable-ratio steering rack and electric power-assisted steering with torque steer compensation. The torque steer system detects the torque steer and counteracts the effect to help the driver feel in complete control.

The 2013 Focus ST also gets Recaro sport seats, unique 18-inch Y-spoke ST wheels, dual-zone climate control, Xenon headlights and leather appointments throughout the cabin. The instrument cluster features ST-unique sport gauges with red needle pointers to monitor turbo boost, oil pressure and oil temperature levels.

To enhance the full experience for the driver, Focus ST is equipped with a sound symposer box that enriches the natural sounds of the motor by capturing internal engine oscillations and piping them through the interior under throttle. In part-throttle driving, the car's power is felt more than heard; under full throttle, the engine music is naturally amplified through the symposer box.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

it would make a great DD
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Agreed :) I'm not sure how I feel about the "The torque steer system detects the torque steer and counteracts the effect to help the driver feel in complete control.". Does that mean it's going to use braking? Booooooooooo.

I find it funny that a lot of car companies are now using the radio to "pipe" in the engine sound too. I think that the new M5 was one of the first.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

As long as you can hack the sound file and load an F1 soundtrack. :-P