Lotus to Stop Production of US-Spec Exige and Elise in Aug.

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Lotus to Stop Production of US-Spec Exige and Elise in Aug.

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report
Its now confirmed. Lotus is going to end production of the US-spec Exige and Elise models in August. Lotus is basically being forced to end production of the two models because of an expiration of an airbag exemption and because Toyota has stopped producing the four-cylinder engine that powers the Lotus models.

US Lotus fans will have to wait until the fall of 2014 for the release of the next-generation Elise. In the meantime it looks like Lotus is working on developing a line of its own engines, which could mean that the next Lotus models will not be powered by Toyota engines.
Damn, that sucks. I will say though, the new Elise is sounding damn good:
Low weight remains a key feature of the car, although it has broken the 1-metric-ton barrier with its 2,409-pound curb weight. The price of this new 320-hp Elise is projected at $55,000 — around $15,800 more than today's entry-level Elise — although less expensive versions are expected.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Re: Lotus to Stop Production of US-Spec Exige and Elise in A

Post by Raven »

Welcome to the 1.25 ton club elise, it's not so bad. Today's tire technologies mean you'll hardly feel the extra weight.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)