Mini Paceman Concept

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Mini Paceman Concept

Post by sirwilliam »

Mini Paceman Concept

Just how many variations can be spun off the venerable Mini to keep the public’s attention? Well, the latest in a string of funky yet appealing efforts—the Mini Paceman Concept—made its debut at Detroit. No decision has been made on whether it’ll be built, but it’s an interesting exercise in brand-stretching no matter the outcome.

A sporty crossover coupe, the Paceman utilizes the most powerful engine in the Mini lineup, the John Cooper Works 1.6-liter, whose twin-scroll turbo helps to produce 211 bhp and peak torque of 192 lb.-ft., although an overboost function allows brief forays to 207 lb.-ft. Banish any thought of excessive wheelspin, though, as the Paceman is fitted with Mini’s ALL4 permanent all-wheel-drive system that normally apportions 100 percent of drive torque to the front wheels. As much as 50 percent can be sent rearward through an electromagnetic center differential if conditions warrant. Meaty tires on 19-in. wheels fill out the generous fender forms, and ought to provide the trademark snappy handling we’ve come to expect from the MacPherson-strut front/multilink rear chassis.

The Paceman is styled like a Mini, only more so. Although the grille is essentially the same as the Countryman’s, immense headlights and bolder lower ducting telegraph some extra aggression. Body sculpting is dramatic, with pronounced rear fender haunches working with dark wheel arch surrounds, and a concave crease above the rocker panel. But the wedgy, chopped greenhouse is what you see first. In profile, the darkly tinted glass tapers down toward the rear, disguising the C-pillar for a floating-roof effect that Mini spokespeople have dubbed “helmet roof.” At the rear, an under-bumper diffuser is framed by twin exhaust tips, and even the license-plate recess echoes the shape of the front air intake.

Inside, the Mini’s already extroverted interior gets friendlier and funkier. Expressive forms and colors are everywhere, and there’s a slim center console that morphs into the Center Rail that extends into the rear seating area, highlighted in a recent Countryman TV spot as an effective sushi delivery system. The centrally mounted speedometer, center air vents and shifter all have outer trim rings done in a contrasting color, and the elliptical door-panel trim is taken to new heights, the ellipses extending into the rear seat area to emphasize the length of the interior. Armrests and storage areas are cleverly integrated here, too.

So what’s next? Bring back the Mini Moke (sort of a troop carrier for Lilliputians)? Or how about a 4-door version of the Paceman next, with a bit more cargo capacity—the Mini Spaceman, anyone?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Mini Paceman Concept

Post by Sabre »

A 4WD Mini? Hmm, I like it!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Honestly, I love Minis.
However, if it were my money, there are better and cheaper offerings.
The Countryman is a good example. I like it, but for that money I'd get a Nissan Juke and save a couple of grand.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:Honestly, I love Minis.
However, if it were my money, there are better and cheaper offerings.
The Countryman is a good example. I like it, but for that money I'd get a Nissan Juke and save a couple of grand.
frustratingly true. i absolutely agree. i'd love a countryman. can't justify the coin. :(

however, you can't get the juke in awd and have a six speed manual. :(

guess i'm stuck with my forester! :nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:however, you can't get the juke in awd and have a six speed manual.
Sadly, that is true.