Audi Quattro Concept

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Audi Quattro Concept

Post by sirwilliam »

Audi Quattro Concept

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first Quattro, which was first shown at Geneva in 1980, Audi has taken the wraps of a beautiful new concept at the Paris Auto Show. This Audio Quattro Concept, in Col de Turini white paint, is a striking automobile, clearly a futuristic interpretation of the original Quattro. We can only hope that the good folks in Ingolstadt decide to build a production version of this car.

The particulars: The foundation of this Quattro Concept is the Audi RS 5, one of the brand’s sportiest production vehicles. Audi shortened the wheelbase by 5.9 in. and lowered the roof by around 1.6, compared to the 4-seat RS 5. The Quattro Concept, a 2-seater, has a heavily modified body made mostly of aluminum, but the hood and rear hatch are carbon fiber. Weight is down to 2866 lb., which is almost exactly the same as the Audi Sport Quattro from 1984. For an idea of how potent the new Audi Quattro Concept is, it has a power-to-weight ratio on par with the 525-bhp Audi R8 V10 supercar.

Under the hood, you might expect a V-8. Rather, Audi has opted to use a turbocharged inline-5 that comes from the Audi TT RS, which is coming to the U.S. next year. In the Audi Quattro concept, this stout longitudinally mounted engine is tuned to produce 408 bhp, which Audi says will accelerate the car from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in only 3.9 seconds. The car has a 6-speed manual transmission, and torque delivery is 60-percernt rear-biased for a proper sporty feel. That stated, the Concept Quattro’s crown-gear center differential is a compact, lightweight unit that can vary the torque between the front and rear axles over a broad range. The Audi Quattro Concept also features the sport differential, which actively distributes torque between the rear wheels. When turning into or accelerating in a curve, the majority of the torque flows to the outside wheel, enhancing the rear-drive feel.

As for the look of the Concept Quattro, it’s clear that there’s an A5 and an RS 5 in the car’s genes, but it’s a car with a much more aggressive overall appearance. Muscular C-pillars pay homage to the design of the original Quattro. What’s more, with its minimal rear overhang, short overall length of 158.6 in. and a 102.3-in. wheelbase, this car has agility written all over it.

Other cool details include LED headlamps, carbon-ceramic brake rotors, large fender flares, 20-in. center-lock wheels, and an air outlet on the right side of the hood that helps the turbo 5-cylinder breathe. Also, there’s a single-frame grille without chrome trim, and the large carbon-fiber spoiler integrated into the rear hatch extends automatically as needed and can be adjusted for maximum downforce. Last, to pay proper respect to the original Quattro as the winner of numerous World Rally Championships, a so-called “prayer book”—the classic rally copilot's track description—can be displayed on the dash in racing mode. This provides precise information about the route ahead for an authentic rally feel.

Let’s hope the road ahead for Audi finds the Quattro Concept in production soon.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Audi Quattro Concept

Post by PGT »

hard to tell, but, from that angle I see a lot of new Camaro in the greenhouse :notcool:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Funny, to me it looks like a Mistu front end with the body of a Genesis Coupe:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I was thinking CTS.

-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i see cts and a little crossfire.

meh.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

CTS Coupe with a bad hood scoop vent thingy in place of the Pep Boys chrome fender vent.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Audi Quattro Concept Gets the Green Light
Last fall Audi took the wraps off the Quattro Concept at the Paris Motor Show. Now according to company sources the concept is getting the green light for production.

Audi has reportedly built a single prototype that is based off an S5 for Audi's board members to evaluate before the coupe gets the go-ahead. Insiders claim that the 408-hp Quattro will be ready for a launch in 2013 and will be based on a version of Audi's aluminum spaceframe chassis.

The Quattro Concept was originally unveiled to celebrate 30 years of the Audi quattro system. The production version will come in weighing over 600 pounds less than an RS5, but with a similar powertrain.
:nana: Now just price it reasonably (aka, under 50k.... ya, I'm dreaming) and you'll have a winner!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.