New Brakes

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

New Brakes

Post by Libra Monkee »

Mine have finally started singing me their Swan Song so I'm in the market for new front brakes. I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions or if I should just pick up whatever I can find at Advance AP. If possible, I'd like to find something that doesn't produce as much noticible brake dust as the stock brakes.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I know Matt (Not Thermobox) has ones that are VERY good for brake dust. I have Porterfields and love them. A little less brake dust than OEM and the stopping power is great!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:I know Matt (Not Thermobox) has ones that are VERY good for brake dust. I have Porterfields and love them. A little less brake dust than OEM and the stopping power is great!
:plusone: for the porterfields. They'll tell you that they're kind of hard on rotors, so get the street ones, not the "race" ones. That is, unless you're looking for a reason to get some spiffy new rotors... :D
rocket scientist
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Hawk HPS.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: New Brakes

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:Mine have finally started singing me their Swan Song so I'm in the market for new front brakes. I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions or if I should just pick up whatever I can find at Advance AP. If possible, I'd like to find something that doesn't produce as much noticible brake dust as the stock brakes.
I say get some nice 2 piece DBA rotors w/ new HPS or Porterfield pads. Get less brake dust and less mass for better braking.

Or you can get some nice ALCON 6 or 8 pot fronts and 4 or 6 pot rears w/ pads and 2 piece rotors.

Or you can shell out around $10k-$15k for some nice full ceramic setups (not sure about dust on those)...that would net you some nice braking :twisted:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Speaking of which, I need to put on my two piece front rotor's... hehe :twisted:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Thanks for the input! Now, any suggestions on vendors?

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:Thanks for the input! Now, any suggestions on vendors?
^^HOT SAM always hooks me up and is great to deal with. I would check w/ him to see what he has.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I bought my Porterfields from private sale... too bad Oakos doesn't sell them! They do sell Carbotech's though :) I'd highly recommend doing brake fluid and lines if you plan to track the car.... and probably even if you don't ;) This is what you want if you do lines and for fluid I'd go ATF Blue.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Sabre wrote:Speaking of which, I need to put on my two piece front rotor's... hehe :twisted:
Can I ask, what is the purpose/ benefit/ point in two piece rotors?

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Depending on how they are made, two piece rotors usually have an aluminum center hub or hat that joins the iron/steel friction ring with floating spacers.

The aluminum means the brakes can be lighter, and the floating ring allows the rotor to heat up and expand uniformly. If the rotor was solid iron, the rotor would have differential heating and expand at the edges while the centers were still cool. This leads to a dishing of the brake. Since this stress isn't there anymore, you don't have to make the rotor as beefy(heavy) to handle the flex. This in turns saves weight.

It also looks cool, cause you can paint your hats different colors and they don't flake off like on one piece deals.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

zaxrex wrote:Depending on how they are made, two piece rotors usually have an aluminum center hub or hat that joins the iron/steel friction ring with floating spacers.

The aluminum means the brakes can be lighter, and the floating ring allows the rotor to heat up and expand uniformly. If the rotor was solid iron, the rotor would have differential heating and expand at the edges while the centers were still cool. This leads to a dishing of the brake. Since this stress isn't there anymore, you don't have to make the rotor as beefy(heavy) to handle the flex. This in turns saves weight.
Thanks, Zak!
zaxrex wrote:It also looks cool, cause you can paint your hats different colors and they don't flake off like on one piece deals.
W3RD! They are also available in different colors as well.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, just got back to this thread.... but I see Zak has already handled it! w00t :) 8)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI