08 WRX write-up in Sport Compact Car

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

08 WRX write-up in Sport Compact Car

Post by Osiros »

<rant>
SCC did a cover story on the 08 WRX for their latest issue. And I can't help but feel crappy after reading it.

The following was written by Jay Chen in the June issue of SCC. Commentary to follow:
Jay Chen wrote:Chalk one up for the bean counters.

Although the new upscale WRX will undoubtedly be faster and more powerful than the 2.0 liter variants of old, the smarter and cheaper to produce Legacy GT engine has distinct drawbacks compared to the engines in older WRX's. Tuners will have to drop their tried and trusted tuning tricks and head back to the drawing board if they expect to make the same gains out of the new WRX.

We talked to some of the top Subaru and Legacy 2.5GT tuners like Crawford Performance, Cobb Tuning, Easy Street and Squid Auto (formerly Kingpin) to get their take. Here's what we found:

The advantage of added displacement and variable intake and exhaust cam timing means the stock car is already plenty fast, with boost response to match. But we're not called Stock Compact Magazine.

The Legacy's EJ25 uses the same block and similar heads as found on STI's and 06 WRX's. The main difference is the intake manifold and associated plumbing. In order to reduce manufacturing costs, the Legacy motor uses an ABS plastic intake manifold and end-tanks on its top mount intercooler. This is good for weight reduction and lowering intake temperature, but comes at a cost for high-boost turbo cars. Unlike conventional aluminum intake manifolds and runners, plastic manifolds typically use a recessed rubber O-ring to seal against the cylinder head instead of a flat gasket. Under stock boost, this is fine, but for anyone who wants to upgrade turbos or just increase the stock boost levels past 17psi, the O-rings just might do a Challenger. The plastic intercooler end-tank will have similar issues with high boost or prolonged beatings at stock boost.

While bolting up an aluminum STI manifold to the heads in order to hold more boost is a relatively easy task, getting the rest of the Legacy fuel, vacuum, and boost plumbing to fit is not. Changing manifolds requires almost a complete engine bay fuel system swap since OE-quality fuel lines and connectors are near impossible to modify. That means the intercooler and throttle body will have to get changed out too.

Changing the stock VF40 turbo also presents another set of problems. Unlike the STI and WRX, the VF40 compressor outlet is a flange that bolts directly to one of the plastic end tanks. Not only is this not the greatest idea, WRX and STI turbo upgrades will not work with Legacy manifold/throttle body/intercooler set-ups.

Again you'll have to change the manifold or look for a Legacy bolt-on turbo from companies like Deadbolt Performance.

The lesson here is really to not be greedy with power. Keep the hardware stock and change out some intake and exhaust plumbing, and the new WRX should be more car than most can handle. If you have to have big power, then get ready for a huge financial commitment.
Reading this has done nothing but further sour the taste in my mouth for what Subaru has done with this new WRX. The exterior changes were bad enough (I couldn't stand it the second I laid eyes on it) but now to hear what they've done with the engine components I think it goes deeper than that.

I think that Suby is abandoning a core group of their customers.....the enthusiasts. WRX and STi owners are, without a doubt, a community. We've loved the cars because of their looks, their power, and the ability to make them our own through tuning them and modifying them. I'd dare to say that the number of stock WRX's and STi's on the road is rivaled by the number of modded ones.

Subaru has abandoned the looks and style of the car and now they've quadrupled the difficulty (and cost) of doing the things that so many people have done with their cars up to this point under the hood as well.

The Toyota influence here is definitely coming out but Subaru needs to keep in mind that if we wanted Toyota's we'd have freaking bought them. We didn't. We wanted Subaru's. And it looks like we're losing the choice.

Agree? Disagree?

</rant>
MikeO
I'm a n000b

Post by MikeO »

I completely agree. I just hope that the STi has still remained what it has been, and not adopted these new hidious WRX looks. But yeah, i'm very unhappy to see Subaru adopting toyota, and not the other way around. Toyota is big enough as it is.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

The new STI will be a hatchback in all markets so yes, it'll look like the WRX - with a few differences that make it look slightly less disagreeable.

I'll try to dig up the link to the pics of the new STI...

--Alan
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Were you people in a coma?

Page 6 of this thread.

Yeah, the WRX will be harder to tune for the first run but I wouldn't buy the first run. I would wait for the second run when they tally all the complaints and fix the quirks. It might take a third or fourth run (model years) to change the looks to something a bit more digestible. I think this is the transition faze that all car companies go through to morph into a beautiful butterfly...

I like how SCC didn't even talk w/ PDX who is well known for their 400WHP+ legacies. Yeah, it might be a pain but legacy owners do it. If you don't want to do it, don't buy the car. This might hurt subaru but who cares, it will be their own fault. The VF40 can net you 300WHP easily but is known to have problems that warranty will cover in a heart beat (as told to me from DanTech). AVO has a whole line for legacy parts to upgrade.

The '08 STi will be a much better choice of the 3 new impreza turbo models. I think the looks are starting to sink into me now so I don't think it is that bad. Maybe I am just getting used to it or numb to it.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Subaru just got it's report card:
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Subaru has made things more difficult, but I don't it's as big of a deal as SCC makes it out to be.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

hotsam wrote:Subaru has made things more difficult, but I don't it's as big of a deal as SCC makes it out to be.

+12345 you know someone will make a cast intake manifold for the car for like $200. So it may get a little more expensive to mod, but DUDE, ACVS on BOTH cams... thats hot!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

it just means we (well, i) get to learn a lot more about engine modifications that i originally planned. fine by me. i've had too many ugly divorces from car manufacturers... i refuse to leave subaru. *puts hands over ears LALALALALALALA*
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

It's what makes a Subaru, a Toyota.

You can expect Subaru to come under a lot more scrutiny with all of these changes. If people want to modify their cars, they're going to modify their cars. However, for some odd reason, Subaru has decided to make that more difficult as well as costly. Is this to to discourage aftermarket tuning of their vehicles? Is the merger with Toyota influencing some Corolla-Impreza clusterfuck?

Whatever their reasoning is, their fans and enthusiasts around the world are crying out in dismay. The car that they've come to know and have wood for over the past five years is now making them limp and flaccid. Kinda like if you marry someone then they gain 30 pounds in six months. Yeah they still have the same name but this is not what you signed up for.

But I digress, the more I hear and see of these cars, the more I want to throw Molotov cocktails at them for blasphemy.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wow, this is not good news... not at all....

Yes, someone will probably release a $200 intake manifold... but it's going to be a BITCH to switch out considering all the other crap that needs to be switched as well. They really are hurting their market by making it harder on us modders.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

spazegun2213 wrote: +12345 you know someone will make a cast intake manifold for the car for like $200.
\

Yeah...Perrin will make one that almost fits.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

hotsam wrote:Yeah...Perrin will make one that almost fits.
:rolllaugh:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

hotsam wrote:
spazegun2213 wrote: +12345 you know someone will make a cast intake manifold for the car for like $200.

ouch that harsh... but true, lol
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hmmm, maybe me hording the intake manifolds and fuel lines will turn out to make me some cash?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

hotsam wrote:

Fried...Rice...All...over....Desk.

Thanks. :rolllaugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

chicken n waffles wrote:it just means we (well, i) get to learn a lot more about engine modifications that i originally planned. fine by me. i've had too many ugly divorces from car manufacturers... i refuse to leave subaru. *puts hands over ears LALALALALALALA*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Sabre wrote:Wow, this is not good news... not at all....

Yes, someone will probably release a $200 intake manifold... but it's going to be a BITCH to switch out considering all the other crap that needs to be switched as well. They really are hurting their market by making it harder on us modders.
Human nature being what it is I of course gravitated to the response that agrees with me the most. The simple fact is that they're making it harder for the people who have made this vehicle what it is to do the things that they do.

There are only a few reasons why you bite the hand that feeds you:
1. You don't care.
2. You're abandoning that hand and moving on to another.
3. You don't care.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Osiros wrote:
Sabre wrote:Wow, this is not good news... not at all....

Human nature being what it is I of course gravitated to the response that agrees with me the most. The simple fact is that they're making it harder for the people who have made this vehicle what it is to do the things that they do.

There are only a few reasons why you bite the hand that feeds you:
1. You don't care.
2. You're abandoning that hand and moving on to another.
3. You don't care.
I vote for option E: all of the above. :lol: