need a catalytic converter for a for a 04 forester xt maybe

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

boomee
Tricycle

need a catalytic converter for a for a 04 forester xt maybe

Post by boomee »

After going to auto zone and Merchents I have found that the rear catalytic converter is cracked and posibly i may need a new 02 sensor With parts and labor they say this will be about 880. BUCKS! WTH!!!!!
Merchents told me I have to use SUbaru parts nothing after market or its gonna throw this code again. I have been told forester XT and STI used the same type of cats does anyone have one or don mods to there car and still have there other one.
Last edited by boomee on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: need a catback for a for a 04 forester xt maybe

Post by sirwilliam »

I just threw out my used '08 FXT DP and MP that have the cats in them...that would have been plugnplay for you :(

I don't know if I would trust merchants. If you wanted to stop by, I could read the code for you. If it is just the rear cat, you just need a stock Mid Pipe from an '04-'08 FXT, or '04-07 WRX STi...O2 sensors are a pretty penny but you can get one cheap from Jackie at annapolis subaru.

I would also check with some performance shops b/c they usually have those Midpipes lying around from upgrades.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i would totally trust some parts monkey who works at merchant's to give you subaru-specific knowledge.

/sarcasm
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm confused, do you need a cat-back or the second cat-pipe?

That last cat has no o2 sensor after it so it can fall apart all it wants and no CEL will ever appear. You may have to seal an exhaust leak to pass inspection however.

The 2nd cat pipe in the exhaust of the 04 FXT is the same as that in the 02-06 WRX & STi.
Do a search on NAS!0( in "for sale." I'm sure someone has one they will sell.
I even have an old home made 3" high flow that would mate-up to the down-pie and cat-back just fine if you want it.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:I'm confused, do you need a cat-back or the second cat-pipe?

That last cat has no o2 sensor after it so it can fall apart all it wants and no CEL will ever appear. You may have to seal an exhaust leak to pass inspection however.

The 2nd cat pipe in the exhaust of the 04 FXT is the same as that in the 02-06 WRX & STi.
Do a search on NAS!0( in "for sale." I'm sure someone has one they will sell.
I even have an old home made 3" high flow that would mate-up to the down-pie and cat-back just fine if you want it.
This. I expect he needs the second cat-pipe. You can probably score one from NASIOC classifieds. I'm sure there's someone with either a complete stock TBE or just that second cat pipe for much less than $880.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
boomee
Tricycle

Re: need a catalytic converter for a for a 04 forester xt maybe

Post by boomee »

I am sorry i wasnt clear when i originally posted i need a catalytic converter