2011 wrx, now with more widebody

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

chicken n waffles

2011 wrx, now with more widebody

Post by chicken n waffles »

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/22/new- ... -for-2011/

Since the introduction of the third-generation Impreza, Subaru has been making incremental improvements to the rally-bred WRX, first with a significant bump in output for the 2009 MY and now the adoption of the STI's widebody design for 2011. And not only does the five-door model benefit from its pumped-up sibling's sheetmetal, but the sedan gets a much-needed testosterone injection to boot.

With a 1.5 inch-wider track front and rear, the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX's stance is decidedly more aggressive, and with firmer rear subframe bushings pulled from the STI and wider 17x8-inch wheels wrapped in 235/45R17 rubber, the 2011 'Rex is assuredly stickier than its predecessor.

The cosmetic mods don't end with the widened fenders, as the front fascia receives a restylized front lip spoiler, partnered with a larger, blacked-out grille and intakes. The whole package only increases the curb weight of the WRX by 34 pounds, and coupled with the "265-horsepower" turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-four, the 2011 WRX has the goods to back up its looks... no matter which body-style you choose. Full details in the press release after the jump and expect a slew of shots from the floor at the New York Auto Show.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2011 wrx, now with more widebody

Post by Mr Kleen »

if they're not going to make the WRX look a Sonata, why spend the extra cash for the STi? there really isn't much difference other than the gearbox and HIDs.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Looks like it's gonna start getting busy at the store. Some kid came in the other day and said the Impreza lineup was going to be changing and I didn't believe him. Subaru usually doesn't change for a good 4-5 years. I guess some bean counter finally figured it out.
chicken n waffles

Mr Kleen wrote:if they're not going to make the WRX look a Sonata, why spend the extra cash for the STi? there really isn't much difference other than the gearbox and HIDs.
<--assuming (hoping) this means the sti will get a bump in amenities/power/etc.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Wow, does this mean the new hatch gets flares all around?!?

<--- might be in trouble if so. 8)

EDIT: does this mean flares???

:ohsnap:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

It's the same thing they did in 06-07 with the WRX LTD and STI LTD. I should have seen it coming. We have the WRX LTD right now in showrooms and the STI SE inbound for most dealerships.
It will be cool to see if the hatch gets the flares.
chicken n waffles

i read somewhere that the '11 sti will be offered in sedan form. thank god. i can't stand the hatch.

(sorry, hatch owners :()
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I love the hatch and it will likely be my next... all that extra room means I can fit more.... lumber in the car :)

I'm really thinking that the STI is going to get a major upgrade soon considering how close the WRX is now to it.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I really didn't realize how flared the STi fenders were until the met last night. It actually looks pretty good.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

per Subaru:

SUBARU INTRODUCES 2011 IMPREZA® WRX® MODELS WITH NEW WIDE-BODY DESIGNS AND ENHANCED HANDLING PERFORMANCE

New WRX 4-Door and 5-Door Models Adopt Wide-Body Design Wider Track and Tires Enhance Grip

NEW YORK, March 22, 2010 – Subaru of America, Inc. today introduced the new 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX models, which now use a wide-body design like the brand’s iconic WRX STI® performance flagship model. The wider body designs give the 2011 WRX an aggressive road presence and also allow wider track dimensions.

An approximately 1.5-inch increase in front and rear track, firmer rear subframe bushings and wider 17-inch wheels and tires deliver improved grip in the 2011 WRX. The standard wheels are now 17 x 8-in. vs. 17 x 7-in. in the 2010 model, and tire size is now 235/45R17 vs. 225/45R17.

“The new wide-body designs mark another major step on the continuous evolution of the WRX to give driving enthusiasts an even more compelling all-wheel drive performance package,” said Tom Doll, executive vice president and COO of Subaru of America, Inc.

The 2011 Impreza WRX 4- and 5-door models arrive in Subaru dealerships this summer. Both are powered by a 265-hp turbocharged/intercooled 2.5-liter 4-cyl. SUBARU-BOXER® engine teamed with a 5-speed manual transmission. This highly responsive engine produces 244 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm.

2011 Subaru WRX and WRX STI /2

The WRX has been the focus of continuous improvement since its introduction. Most recently, the 2009 model received the 265-hp engine and a significant chassis tuning upgrade. For 2010, the new Limited trim lines expanded the WRX model’s appeal to a broader range of driving enthusiasts.

The 2011 Impreza WRX uses the Continuous AWD version of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. A viscous coupling locking center differential nominally distributes torque 50:50. Should slippage occur, this system transfers more power to the wheels with the best traction.

The Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system is standard. Incline Start Assist, featured on all Impreza models equipped with a manual transmission, can momentarily prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when being driven away from a stop on an incline.

New Designs for 2011

Both the WRX 5-door model and 4-door model will now feature a wide-body design for 2011 similar to that of the WRX STI, underscoring the high-performance character of both models . The new design is based on a "wide and low" concept and gives both cars an aggressive street presence. The design also maintains a consistent flow from front to rear bumper, creating a distinctive identity and a sense of stability in the vehicles.
Significantly, curb weight for the 2011 WRX models increases by just 33 pounds over the “original body” 2010 models, preserving their powerful acceleration performance.

In front, the 2011 WRX models feature sharpened bumper corners and wider, blacked-out fog lamp nacelles to accentuate the “wide and low” profile. A jutting lip spoiler with three-dimensional detailing emphasizes the cars’ sporty intent. The newly designed front grille with black base and blacked-out Subaru wing highlights the headlights’ shape to give the entire front end a more powerful appearance, accentuated by larger grille and bumper intake openings.
For the 2011 WRX 4-door model, the wider fenders are stretched out on the side more than the tail lamps, accentuating a look of stability.
The new design details contribute to an improved drag coefficient.

Sporty, Spacious and Versatile Interior

In the WRX models, exclusive carbon black checkered upholstery accented by red stitching sets the tone for the sporty interior. The compact layout of the double-wishbone rear suspension helps to minimize intrusion into the cargo area, providing a wide and deep luggage compartment.

In the 5-door, the wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour-size golf bags with the rear seat backs in the upright position. In the 4-door, which is 6.5-inches longer than the 5-door, the trunk can accommodate three Tour-size golf bags. A 60/40-split folding rear seat further boosts cargo capacity and convenience in both models and the 4-door also features a rear seat fold-down center armrest.

All WRX models are equipped with standard aluminum-alloy pedal covers and driver’s footrest. Performance-design front seats integrate the backrest and head restraint into a single structure. As a sporty accent, the instrument panel electroluminescent gauges use indicator needles that sweep the gauge faces upon engine startup.

The standard tilt and telescopic steering wheel is a three-spoke, leather-wrapped design and features control switches for Bluetooth® hands-free phone function. A new AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD player features Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free calling, iPod control capability, a USB port, 3.5mm aux. input jack and has XM/SIRIUS satellite radio capability (subscription is extra). An available navigation system integrates a vehicle information center and Bluetooth hands-free calling.

Proven Subaru Safety

The Impreza models are built around the Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure with front and rear crumple zones. This design has been proven in Subaru models for over a decade to provide outstanding crash protection. Side-curtain airbags are standard on all Subaru models, as is a 4-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist.

About Subaru of America, Inc. Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of more than 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru boasts the most fuel-efficient line-up of all-wheel drive products sold in the market today based on Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel economy standards. All Subaru products are manufactured in zero-landfill production plants, and Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. is the only U.S. automobile production plant to be designated a backyard wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. For additional information visit http://www.subaru.com.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

holy crap. time to start saving. :drool:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

nice. i bought my '09 a few months ago. first they piss off the '08 owners, now the '09s and '10s. why can't subaru just leave it alone for a little while? :cry:

but i like my car anyway. i think the fender flares look nifty on the hatches, but on the sedan it makes it look like a squished version of the new legacy, of which i am not a fan.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Blixa wrote: i think the fender flares look nifty on the hatches, but on the sedan it makes it look like a squished version of the new legacy, of which i am not a fan.
at least you can still get a manual turbo WRX. :x
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I didn't know there was a hill-start on man trans. I'll have to try that out and see how it feels.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:I didn't know there was a hill-start on man trans. I'll have to try that out and see how it feels.
My FXT has it. It's pretty kewl. 8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I have hill start, it's a brain and 2 feet.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Here, let me get you a gold star sticker :mrgreen:
Aside from personal abilities, the wear and tear savings on the clutch and teeth face seem worth it to me.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

complacent wrote:holy crap. time to start saving. :drool:
we haven't supported subaru in a while...
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:
complacent wrote:holy crap. time to start saving. :drool:
we haven't supported subaru in a while...
I know! I've had the FXT for going on two years now!?!

unpossible. :screwy:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

ut oh, this is not good. piggy bank go boom.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I..... actually think that's a somewhat ugly rear. I'll give it time to grow on me though.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

thermobox wrote:Image
:shock: :shock: :shock: mOaaaaaaarrrrrr! N000000000000wwwwww!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that aint no hatch!
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

ridelust gave the wrx's new look a positive review. http://www.ridelust.com/2011-subaru-wrx ... is-better/