WRX-powered Kickboxer motorcycle render

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

WRX-powered Kickboxer motorcycle render

Post by Mr Kleen »

Rendered for Your Pleasure: Subaru WRX-powered Kickboxer motorcycle concept
Autoblog wrote:There's a longstanding tradition of using horizontally-opposed boxer engines in motorcycles – and not just from BMW – the flat configuration has found a home in a slew of two-wheelers ranging from Russia's Ural to the current Honda Goldwing. So, it's not too much of a stretch to wonder how Subaru's well-known flat-four engine would work in a bike.

At least one man has decided to find out. According to The Kneeslider, Ian McElroy taught himself Solidworks just so he could create the KickBoxer motorcycle concept, which marries the aforementioned liquid-cooled boxer engine from Subaru to a futuristic motorcycle chassis that features single-sided swingarms front and rear along with hub-center steering.

We're not entirely sold on some of the details, but it sure looks like fun. Even a bone-stock turbocharged WRX powerplant should equal a rather favorable power-to-weight ratio, wouldn't you say? At this point, the KickBoxer exists only on paper and computer files, but McElroy says he'd love to see the machine put into small-scale production. As would we.
Gallery link

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Re: WRX-powered Kickboxer motorcycle render

Post by Cereb Daithi »

That looks.... scary...

And since everyone else is thinking it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmKcM8B2ToY
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I have no idea what you mean... :lol:

Dimensionally, it looks about as usable as that bike that had a viper motor in it. While I'm sure it can be enjoyed in a straight line, in moderately cool weather for a relatively short period of time - i wouldn't necessarily consider this anything more viable than a concept motorcycle at best.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

yeah, it looks cool but also looks like it has a very high center of gravity. :ugh:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Shockingly, it doesn't do it for me. I keep thinking "Busa motors are much lighter and will put out almost as much HP". I suppose that isn't the point of it. As an engineering marvel though, it's pretty interesting.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.