So I think I've changed my opinion about ABS and bikes...

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

So I think I've changed my opinion about ABS and bikes...

Post by complacent »

As of Sunday. I had two separate events that yielded surprising results.

1) At the beginning 1/3 of an off-ramp a wonderful SUV decided it would be a good idea to stop and back up to the entrance of said ramp. Toss in a little sand and grated concrete paving - the "pucker factor" was high. I felt the front wheel shake and "stutter" a bit - but I felt complete control over the front wheel and the clip-ons the entire time. At no point did I feel like the bike was going to step out, wash out, or otherwise do something ugly. GIven the conditions and the weight (it's an 08 Yamaha FJR1300 if you're wondering) I'm honestly not sure if I could have stopped as quickly without the ABS.

2)Traveling one of my favorite two lane twisties just outside of the city, I was riding 2up with the other half. A deer suddenly decided it wanted to be on the other side of the road, about 400 feet in front of me. With a rapid change in elevation and angle, coupled with the weight of two passengers, the bike stopped quite well with nary a complaint. Deer hopped about its own, happily.

Based on Sunday alone - I have completely changed my opinion on ABS on motorcycles. Would I want it on my razor-sharp 600 class track only bike? I don't think so. Would I want it on my current (and next) street-ridden motorcycle? Absolutely.

Granted this is all based on my own, humble experience. YMMV. Thought I'd share.

Keep it safe and shiny everyone! :wiggle:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: So I think I've changed my opinion about ABS and bikes...

Post by sirwilliam »

Glad the ABS was there to help you out. Don't need Colin and/or other half plastered on the road. :(
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I think it would be a nice feature to have, although it's not currently available on all bikes. It seems like it would most certainly save your butt from a certain type of accident.

Glad you are safe!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote:I think it would be a nice feature to have, although it's not currently available on all bikes. It seems like it would most certainly save your butt from a certain type of accident.

Glad you are safe!
Thanks fellas :)

I was really surprised as to how well it worked. And believe me, I was *quite* the no-abs motorcycle purist before this past weekend. I didn't even want it on the FJ, but didn't have a choice.

And now I'm completely sold. Call me a turncoat convert. :oops:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

complacent wrote:I was really surprised as to how well it worked. And believe me, I was *quite* the no-abs motorcycle purist before this past weekend. I didn't even want it on the FJ, but didn't have a choice.

And now I'm completely sold. Call me a turncoat convert. :oops:
why the :oops: ? a rider is already at such a disadvantage (sitting ON TOP of the vehicle; contact patch the size of the palm of ONE hand; etc...) as it is why NOT take advantage of the technology if it keeps you (and Ms. Complacent!) safe?

sellout? a sellout with all the skin his legs/arms/face started the day with...
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

It may cease to be relevant as training if all new bikes come with ABS, but I think as a first bike, it's important to understand weight transfer and how independent brakes actually work. On the other hand, we're starting to see a lot of change in the way ultra-high-performance vehicles are made, and I think it's hard for the moment to see where the chips will land. At the very least, I'd like to be able to choose traction/launch control and abs.
rocket scientist
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Dear.
Oh dear.
FUCK! DEER!
:shock:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."