So Subaru's new 4-door coupe...

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Re: So Subaru's new 4-door coupe...

Post by snaab »

This could go either way for me. It's going to take a final design and seeing it in person before I decide to embrace it.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

If these renderings are accurate, then I kinda like the new styling (since it's not like the concept IMHO).

--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I like the wagon better than the sedan. Interested in seeing what happens.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The lower one looks exactly like the concept 2010 legacy, so I'd say that's pretty much it.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

ibtm!

(in before the maxima)
-Ben
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Sabre wrote:The lower one looks exactly like the concept 2010 legacy, so I'd say that's pretty much it.
Now that I look at it again, you're right. Must've been the two-tone paint on the front end of the wagon that made me think otherwise. But C'nW's right, it looks alot like the Maxima. With an Audi-esque grill / lower intake opening.

--Alan
chicken n waffles

i should reserve final judgment until i see the final product in person. production pics will be nice but as is frequently the case with subarus, they look more endearing in person. all i know is it's supposed to be 3 inches wider and a couple hundred pounds heavier than outgoing models, with an unknown power increase. hope the bump up is worth it.
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

chicken n waffles wrote:all i know is it's supposed to be 3 inches wider and a couple hundred pounds heavier than outgoing models
Because Subaru's were too fuel efficient before, gotta pull back a bit so the other kids on the playground don't get jealous... :roll:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
chicken n waffles

ElZorro wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:all i know is it's supposed to be 3 inches wider and a couple hundred pounds heavier than outgoing models
Because Subaru's were too fuel efficient before, gotta pull back a bit so the other kids on the playground don't get jealous... :roll:
lol. yeah. i actually want to strangle the engineer who decided to put the "real time" mpg needle in the legacy. damned needle, dancing all over the spectrum with just a hint of throttle engagement, taunting me as if it were my mother riding shotgun and yelling "SLOW DOWN."
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

chicken n waffles wrote:lol. yeah. i actually want to strangle the engineer who decided to put the "real time" mpg needle in the legacy. damned needle, dancing all over the spectrum with just a hint of throttle engagement, taunting me as if it were my mother riding shotgun and yelling "SLOW DOWN."
I actually liked it on the Civic Hybrid, but there was enough lag/filtering in it that it didn't drive you nuts (it was a bar graph and a number output). Helpful reminder. But, even with that, I was only getting 40MPG and the other driver could do better than 50MPG on a regular basis.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I know someone with a Civic Hybrid and I passed along a bunch of "Tips" from a hypermiler site on how to get optimum milage from his hybrid. His response was pretty much along the lines of "How the hell do people drive like this? If I had to drive while constantly monitoring my throttle input, braking, coasting and the myriad other things they recommend, I'd never be actually watching the road."
chicken n waffles

^^ ding ding ding!!!
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

drwrx wrote:If I had to drive while constantly monitoring my throttle input, braking, coasting and the myriad other things they recommend, I'd never be actually watching the road."
Absolutely! A single gauge is ok, especially as an occasional reminder, but some of the hypermiller stuff is crazy.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Some day I'll post up the results I got when I tried to use some hypermiler techniques for one full tank of gas. It made some difference but ultimately I couldn't stand the ultra slow acceleration and near constant coasting. It just wasn't worth it to me.

--Alan
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:the ultra slow acceleration and near constant coasting.

This is a sure-fire way to improve gas mileage in any car, and not just those looking for hyper mileage. Not aimed at you, Alan, just wondering why there needs to be a "guide" to this.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

why do they need a guide you ask? I first read about these "hyper-miler" types in a Car and Driver article a while back. these guys are as into the mileage thing as Darrin is turbos. :rolllaugh:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote: these guys are as into the mileage thing as Darrin is turbos.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

snaab wrote:This is a sure-fire way to improve gas mileage in any car, and not just those looking for hyper mileage. Not aimed at you, Alan, just wondering why there needs to be a "guide" to this.
Oh you're absolutely right. It's a collection of driving techniques/behaviors as opposed to make-/model-specific things. Since some of these techniques are things that most people wouldn't necessarily think of on their own, then collecting them into a "guide" can be helpful for those people unfamiliar with how driving style can affect mileage.

I mostly just used light throttle inputs and a lot of coasting (I'm too scared to draft semis). I felt like I was holding up traffic quite a lot whenever I was getting close a turn since I'd coast for, I don't know, half a mile before the turn? Even tried to park in places that allowed for coasting from a stand-still as much as possible. It all worked, mind you. It just made for a maddening driving style.

--Alan
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Driving the Mazdaspeed 3, it has a mileage indicator in the dash computer. Sometimes I mind the current consumption so as to try to raise the average over 26mpg. No matter how slowly I accelerate, it sucks down gas below 10mpg. It's impossible to win, and like you said, I end up holding everyone behind me up.

The Miata, however, gives me no such indication, so I have no qualms about lead footing it in first and second.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote: The Miata, however, gives me no such indication, so I have no qualms about lead footing it in first and second.
Aren't n/a miatas great for that? You almost feel like you're getting away with something and someone is going to notice all the fun you're having. :)

I will have another miata.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Screw this light throttle stuff. Well for non city driving anyways. I floor it and store it. Use the water to keep the cyl temps low and extract more energy out of the gas. That coupled with the higher volumetric efficiency gives me better mileage. That is not stop and starting though. On those, light throttle is good.

On the WRX gear box I could get a 33 mpg on a tank, now I can just about reach 30.

Saving gas and having fun at the same time.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

:hijack:

:wiggle:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

legasleeper wrote::hijack:

:wiggle:
I was thinking today I should split this thread. :oops:
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Yea, I was thinking the same. :) That, and if we talk about Miata's anymore we'll have to start calling ourselves NASIOC...
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:rolllaugh: :wtf: :wrongf: :rexcuse: :pinto:
ElZorro wrote:Yea, I was thinking the same. :) That, and if we talk about Miata's anymore we'll have to start calling ourselves NASIOC...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.