Rumor: Honda to Kill NSX Replacement

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Rumor: Honda to Kill NSX Replacement

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

According to Autocar, Honda is killing the next-gen NSX project due to the economic downturn.
AutoBlog wrote:Amidst a troubled global economy, Honda is actively scaling back its operations, and its performance programs are sadly bearing the brunt. After canceling its participation in Formula One and the AMA motorbike road racing series, the Japanese automaker has reportedly announced that it is nixing development of the next-generation NSX supercar.

The unfortunate news will undoubtedly come as a stunning disappointment for the loyal legions of Honda/Acura sportscar fans. The new NSX, which looked to be nearing the end of its development on the road to production, was slated to be the most powerful car ever made by Honda, driven by an anticipated 560-horsepower V10.

According to Autocar, the goal-line audible came from none other than Takeo Fukui, Honda's CEO, who dropped the bombshell as part of a end-of-year speech to the troops. The news also means that Honda is suspending plans to finally bring the Acura nameplate to Japan, and it also calls into doubt the fate of the V10 engine itself, as well as any long-rumored V8 powertrains.

Honda hasn't ruled out the possibility of picking up where it left off once business is back in order, but in the meantime the original NSX, which ceased production in 2005 after fifteen years on the market, will have to remain without an heir.
--Alan
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Rumor: Honda to Kill NSX Replacement

Post by drwrx »

Who isn't shocked by this?
I keep expecting to hear that toyota is canceling their Supra replacement as well.

However, all this economic upheaval this might bode well for smaller performance cars (WRX, EVO, MazdaSpeed 3, S3, 135i, GTi, etc.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Very sad to hear (I've always liked the NSX), but not too big a surprise :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i can't decide if i should be a sad banana over this -or- rejoice in the fact that the legacy of the nsx will remain untainted by modern-day interpretations.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the new GT-R ensured that the next-gen NSX would have to be great. as a fan of cars in general and honda engineering in particular am saddened by the news.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If I hear anything remotely like this for the Toyobaru joint coup, I will be sad and angry.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the state of the automotive market will most likely kill any hopes of the coupe getting a turbo. :(
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I think the Toyobaru coup will likely survive.
1. There is an existing platform with existing engines and drivetrains to work from.
2. There is just not a big enough market for the NSX.
3. There is a significant market for a small sporty coup: BMW 1 series, Z4, RSX, Scirocco, TT, Eclipse, Scion TC, RX-8, Tiburon. (I'm sure there are more)
4. There will not have to be an entire facility designed to produce the one car. One assembly plant can produce Imprezas or coups without completely re-tooling the line.
5. Toyota is the #1 auto producer and with Subaru at #20 that gives them some serious resources to bring to bear. Yes, Honda is #5 but the with expected sales of just 1,000 units a year in the U.S. market ,that is just NOT worth the huge investment that is required.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:the state of the automotive market will most likely kill any hopes of the coupe getting a turbo. :(
Now that would not surprise me.

But I bet a swap would not be too cost or mechanically prohibitive. You can find ej205 turbo motors for dirt.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Looks like it's back!
This is great news for any Honda/ Acura loyalist, Honda president Takashi Ito recently announced that the automaker has begun work on a new NSX.

If you remember, back in 2008 work on a new NSX was stopped to the economic collapse. Now that the economy is showing signs of improvement and with the introduction of other Japanese supercars like the Lexus LFA and Nissan GT-R, there seems to be a market again for the NSX.

Although Ito confirmed that Honda has restarted work on a new NSX, there is no word on when it will be released.
:banana2:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that is incredibly hot!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Wish they could build something with just an ounce of that sex appeal at a price a mortal could afford.
They used too.... :cry:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

That HSV-010 program that is the on again, off again NSX program might not be dead, but there are rumors that there is expected to be a 2012/12 release of a 2+2 performance coupe with a 3.5 L V-6.

Sounds like it could have an once of sexy in it... and I could buy one if I wanted to.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2892143
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

It's ok. If they did market the HSV, they'd neuter it anyways (de-wide body, etc).

At least the accord-nsx-sh-awd-mashup drawings look neat :
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... z17LxrYlGe

-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

scheherazade wrote:It's ok. If they did market the HSV, they'd neuter it anyways (de-wide body, etc).

At least the accord-nsx-sh-awd-mashup drawings look neat :
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... z17LxrYlGe

-scheherazade
those are some cool renders.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Honda Continues Work on New NSX... Positioned as Counterpart to CR-Z
It's been years since Honda killed the NSX and work was started on a new one before the economic meltdown. Back in 2008 Honda killed work on the new NSX, but it looks like plans are back on. The prototype that was being tested before its death in 2008, was a front-engine model with a V10 under the hood. It looks like the NSX that is currently under development will not be getting that engine. Instead Honda is working on a hybrid setup for the NSX.

Honda president Takanobu Ito recently confirmed that Honda is working on a new NSX. Ito spoke to reporters at the Shanghai Motor Show and stated that Honda wants to build a car that would be fun to drive and at the same time environmentally friendly. Ito didn't provide any other details about the next NSX, but it's expected to be positioned as a high-performance counterpart to the Honda CR-Z.

Hmmmmm
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

hitting the saki too hard, for too long. honda needs an intervention. :(
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

nice Accord Coupe
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I think the HSV and the CRX just had a baby ... and it's, well, an inbred.

-scheherazade
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

complacent wrote:hitting the saki too hard, for too long. honda needs an intervention. :(
:plusone: :cry:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report

Honda Confirms New NSX in Frankfurt:
Honda's CEO Takanobu Ito has revealed that the automaker has begun work on a new sportscar that will be a successor to the original NSX.

Although a new sportscar is reportedly back on from Honda, it will be very different than the original NSX. Ito claims that Honda's goal is to create a car with a significant power-to-weight ratio rather than outright power.

Ito spent the early part of his career with Honda developing the original NSX. "I really enjoyed that experience, and learned much, so it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sportscar like the NSX in future."

Honda originally planned on releasing a new NSX in 2010, but plans were killed in 2008 during the economic crisis.

Honda has been criticized a lot lately for abandoning its sporting past, but Ito claims that the automaker is addressing those concerns.

"Our recent efforts have been focused on fuel efficiency, and that perhaps gives the impression Honda is behind with pushing the brand image of sportiness, but let me assure you that is not the case," said Ito. "We will address that impression with our new generations of cars."
If I could afford it, I would probably buy one.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i don't want an impression of a new sports car.

i want a new honda that is inspiring enough to take a loan out against the house. that's the bar they should be aiming for.

they used to inspire. i remember carbed cvccs keeping up with fox bodies back in the day. i remember the itr and civic type r were real competitive cars.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

The ITR was one of the best handling and best braking cars under $50K. I should have bought one when I had the chance to; I was convinced I need a six cylinder car and bought an Accord instead (bleh).

The NSX was/is a wonderful car. The reason it never sold well here was because a) it had a V6 and b) and was built around Japanese proportions. It was PLENTY fast if you ignored a car magazine. I've driven quite a few and would own one today if could fit my head under the targa panel (I can't...about 3 inches too tall). I've never driven another car that was as capable and begged to be driven like you stole it that was also capable of being a reliable daily driver. Well, the S2000 came as close as anything else out there.....it begged to be abused too.

If you've never driven an NSX....DO IT. The intake noise behind your head is flipping nuts.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report
This week Honda is unveiling the Small Sports EV Concept at the Tokyo Motor Show (above), which is expected to be released by 2013, but Honda is set to bring a more exciting concept to Detroit in January.

The Super Sports Concept will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January. The concept will provide a preview of the successor to the NSX. Expect the concept to be powered by either a high-performance hybrid system or an electric powertrain.

The Small Sports EV and Super Sports concepts provides some hope that Honda is going to put some "sport" back in its lineup. Honda's CEO Takanobu Ito recently stated that Honda has begun work on the successor to the original NSX.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report
Honda has confirmed that a new NSX concept will debut at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. the NSX concept that we're going to see is supposed to be a preview of the next NSX.

It's also being reported that the next NSX will be powered by Honda's new electric SH-AWD hybrid system that will use a 3.5L V6 and a pair of electric motors. The setup in the NSX will be reversed with the V6 powering the rear wheels with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, while the electric motors will power the front wheels. The combined output is expected to be somewhere around 400 horsepower and the NSX will reach 0-60 mph in less than five seconds.

The next NSX will reportedly also be offered in both coupe and roadster variants.

Come back for all the coverage on Jan 9th.
Not stunningly quick, but curves were always it's forte'.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI