Wintertime mod plans?

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

AJ711
Bicycle

Wintertime mod plans?

Post by AJ711 »

So, with the weather getting colder and my car actually working properly, I'm less inclined to ride the SV as the temperature dips closer to 32F. That and the pilot powers are quickly turning to Flinstone style tread, and I'd rather not test their cold grip. This means the bike will be up on the front/rear stands in the near future, battery tender connected and eager anticipation of next season.

What is everyone doing over the winter? Could be basic mods or just general maintenance. I've got a little bit of the following planned.

Maintenance
Drain oil and remove filter
New filter and fresh oil
Sta-bil in gas tank
Fresh air filter
Flush coolant system
Clean and uber lube chain

Other Good Stuff
Futz with front end
push light/cluster brackets further down tubes to bring lights/cluster closer to top tubes
source a nice bellypan to complete body styling
Clean up wiring on front end
solder connections
tape/loom/collect all wires and make them look nice
Woodcraft clipons
Paint/powder coat rearsets black to match the rest of the bike frame
Inspect sprockets and possibly go +1/-2 on front/rear for "extra horsepower"
Remove warning stickers via brakeclean and hair dryer

Anyone else have plans/goals/aspirations?
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
Libra Monkee

Re: Wintertime mod plans?

Post by Libra Monkee »

Let's see:
Replace sprockets and chain
Install rear turn signals
Purchase a ramp, rent a truck, and haul the thing up to Philly so I can Phinally have a legal motorcycle.
Maybe swap out the headlamp too.

EDIT

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Wintertime mod plans?

Post by avriette »

AJ711 wrote: Clean and uber lube chain
Did this this weekend. Chain's in good shape. Helped Colin with his SV last night, it's in horrible shape. Hopefully I'll get a chance to help him finish with it, as it really needs it (he'll probably just get antsy and do it himself). I do this (the chain lube thing) once a month or so. But I ride a lot.
Futz with front end
I am going to set my front and rear suspension to be "correct" for the size of my ass, and this may mean finding out the front forks really need help. Hopefully, in that case, it's just fluid.
push light/cluster brackets further down tubes to bring lights/cluster closer to top tubes
I've been wanting to put defi gauges in mine for a while, but since I don't have a digital speedometer, I'm not sure how I could. I can get an O2S in there, and a tach, but I'm not sure how to pull off the speedo.
source a nice bellypan to complete body styling
I may actually use a Sharkskins or Airtech "complete lower fairing" for track-legalness and to replace both lower fairings. Only problem is they say it don't fit so hot with the standard fairing, only their "race" (no-headlamp) fairing.
Paint/powder coat rearsets black to match the rest of the bike frame
I'd like a set of adjustable rearsets, but with the recent cost of fairings and paint and stuff, I probably won't be able to afford them or the Pazzo levers I want.
Inspect sprockets and possibly go +1/-2 on front/rear for "extra horsepower"
I assume you mean -1/+2 unless you want a higher top end. I'll prolly help Chuckles with his when Colin's away.
Anyone else have plans/goals/aspirations?
I am going to ride all winter, yes, through to spring, except on days where there is snow on the ground (or slush/salt/gravel), on which days I will carpool with Sandy in the STI (see, it's good for something).
rocket scientist