smaller tire = better turn-in?

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

smaller tire = better turn-in?

Post by avriette »

someone care to explain:
# Dunlop 207 (180/55 at the rear): As I am now using my ZXR750R for track days I decided to fit the D207 (standard compound). To sharpen up the steering further I went for a 180/55 rear instead of the standard 190/50. The difference is staggering. The steering became so quick that I had to raise the ride height at the front to slow it down a touch. Anybody trying this on stock suspension settings will not have any problem and will simply be able to get on and enjoy sharper steering. The 207s are more triangulated than the Pirelli and grip well. The Dragons are much grippier, but, as this bike is going to be mainly used on the road, the 207s will be fine and I will hopefully be able to get more miles out of them.
I don't understand. The skinny on the 250 makes it really hard to lean, and the fat one on the 7 makes it easy to hammer it through a turn (because there's more rubber). Is the trade-off here that it's quicker to turn, but you can't lean it as far (so you'd hang off it more to compensate, I guess?)

anyone?
rocket scientist