A $110,000 Motorcycle as Ugly as It Is Expensive

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

A $110,000 Motorcycle as Ugly as It Is Expensive

Post by Libra Monkee »

I don't think it looks that bad. It looks like something out of Mad Max.

Would you like to know more?

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chicken n waffles

Re: A $110,000 Motorcycle as Ugly as It Is Expensive

Post by chicken n waffles »

i like it. you want cars and trucks to see you easily (at least, i would assume you 2 wheelers want to be as visible as human/inhumanly possible on the roads).
-Ben
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Me not an motocicle engenear, but it looks to me that the front fork is curved inward and that the contact patch of the tire is behind the axis of turn line (positive scrub radius). Isn't that like dynamically unstable? Or are bikes magically different in steering than cars? (Plea to RJ from CA on this one)
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Will gives it two thumbs up on looks.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:Me not an motocicle engenear, but it looks to me that the front fork is curved inward and that the contact patch of the tire is behind the axis of turn line (positive scrub radius). Isn't that like dynamically unstable? Or are bikes magically different in steering than cars? (Plea to RJ from CA on this one)
I'm fairly certain that the front forks do in fact have a positive rake, therefore ensuring dynamic stability. It would be awful damn silly of Confederate to make a bike that costs 110 large that, um, doesn't ride.

They've been known for some really wild designs, all of which have been fit for road use.

That being said, I'd hit it like the fist of an angry god. Cool b0nk for sure.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I like it, just not $110k worth. :lol:

I think the idea of solid forks and a pushrod front suspension interesting. it enables custom bike builders to do some wild things with the front fork design.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Not a huge fan of how snub-nosed it is but other than that I don't think it's that ugly.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

zaxrex wrote:Me not an motocicle engenear, but it looks to me that the front fork is curved inward and that the contact patch of the tire is behind the axis of turn line (positive scrub radius). Isn't that like dynamically unstable? Or are bikes magically different in steering than cars? (Plea to RJ from CA on this one)

You're totally right Zack, about the "rake". Rake is motorcycle speak for castor. Colin's also right, in that it's probably just a mild optical illusion caused by the slope of the fork. The rake is determined by the relation of the bottom of the fork with the top of the fork, and it definitely appears in order, besides the bowed shape.

But please, did no one else notice that horrid seating surface?! It's like they're trying to make it uncomfortable. I also just noticed how meager the thing looks from head one :lol:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

snaab wrote: You're totally right Zack, about the "rake". Rake is motorcycle speak for castor. Colin's also right, in that it's probably just a mild optical illusion caused by the slope of the fork. The rake is determined by the relation of the bottom of the fork with the top of the fork, and it definitely appears in order, besides the bowed shape.
Yeah. See also,

But please, did no one else notice that horrid seating surface?! It's like they're trying to make it uncomfortable. I also just noticed how meager the thing looks from head one :lol:
Looks a lot like the seat on some of the new harleys and a lot of the new "chopper" bikes. With bars that far up and that far forward, you don't need a whole lot holding your tush on the seat, and it does cant up and forwards a bit. I would imagine it has as much support as is necessary.

That having been said, it looks like it wouldn't lean real well, but it might be fun to drive down to park it next to that 502 boss hoss that's always in downtown alexandria on weekends. And while that powerplant smacks of Buell, i betcha it's loud and flatulent and is good for big burnouts in traffic. If not quite wheelies.

And, I'm kinda with Colin. I think somebody took the "fighter" concept and just said "let's just take that singular style element and make it a ... that's it, a theme!". Cept they forgot the part about weight and "lean" (as in muscle, not as in angle) looks. Totally not refusing a ride on it.

edit: also, for my $110k, I'm going to have me a desmosedici, a new fireblade, and a new set of satin black sharkskins on the big kawi. and enough money left over to buy colin that cruiser he wants so he can keep his fapmachine :)
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Yep, the rake is fine:

This is flipping hilarious:
The Fighter clarifies opaqueness and nullifies hype with straight-forward true to concept certitude. At the source is a classic right triangle. Proportion is classically derived. Scale is middle way. Bearing exudes structural permanence. Human integration deploys yang energy, vitality and power in the most simple, pure and direct form.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:Yep, the rake is fine
:shock:

BUT OMG DID YOU SEE THE SEAT IN THAT PICTURE? I previously defended that seat as having enough support for your ass, but holy shit, that bike should be called the ballcrusher. And I thought I had "tank-giblets" clearance problems!!
rocket scientist
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I'll stay with my other crazy bike thanks

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

avriette wrote:
Sabre wrote:Yep, the rake is fine
:shock:
BUT OMG DID YOU SEE THE SEAT IN THAT PICTURE? I previously defended that seat as having enough support for your ass, but holy shit, that bike should be called the ballcrusher. And I thought I had "tank-giblets" clearance problems!!
:lol2:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

avriette wrote:
snaab wrote: You're totally right Zack, about the "rake". Rake is motorcycle speak for castor. Colin's also right, in that it's probably just a mild optical illusion caused by the slope of the fork. The rake is determined by the relation of the bottom of the fork with the top of the fork, and it definitely appears in order, besides the bowed shape.
Yeah. See also,

I'm glad someone else brought up that picture. I'd been looking for a good one to host for a little. That particular b0nk is way different. up front is essentially a reversed swingarm. Crazy different suspension design. There was a french guy who basically designed that bike in Photoshop without any blueprints. Some of the better bike builders got together and actually made the damn thing based on a bunch of pictures. ALL the mechanical parts, suspension design, etc were ALL done by the builder and they were ALL one-offs. Absolutely crazy stuff. It's like doodling a picture of a condo building and telling your GC "Get to building man, I want this!"
Owwie. Do not want.

Looks a lot like the seat on some of the new harleys and a lot of the new "chopper" bikes. With bars that far up and that far forward, you don't need a whole lot holding your tush on the seat, and it does cant up and forwards a bit. I would imagine it has as much support as is necessary.

That having been said, it looks like it wouldn't lean real well, but it might be fun to drive down to park it next to that 502 boss hoss that's always in downtown alexandria on weekends. And while that powerplant smacks of Buell, i betcha it's loud and flatulent and is good for big burnouts in traffic. If not quite wheelies.

I have to wonder about the weight distribution front to rear... I bet it's pretty easy to make that rear step right out.

And, I'm kinda with Colin. I think somebody took the "fighter" concept and just said "let's just take that singular style element and make it a ... that's it, a theme!". Cept they forgot the part about weight and "lean" (as in muscle, not as in angle) looks. Totally not refusing a ride on it.

To me, it's like any other concept vehicle. Wouldn't want to own it, but it looks radical and I'd love to take it for a spin. Or a burnout. Or two.

edit: also, for my $110k, I'm going to have me a desmosedici, a new fireblade, and a new set of satin black sharkskins on the big kawi. and enough money left over to buy colin that cruiser he wants so he can keep his fapmachine :)
A huge :plusone: here. I think I'd have something from every genre of motorbike. A nice 650cc v-twin motard for hooliganism on and off the road, a speed triple for cruiser envy and more in town hooliganism, a new CBR1000RR for stupid power and knee-dragging occasions, an FJR1300 or Beemer K1200GT for stretching her legs coast to coast, and a pair of 250cc two strokes for the dirt.

That and, uh... trailer/truck support vehicles :oops:

Everyone would be invited to throw some of my toys between their legs. there will be plenty to go 'round. It would be an awesome time. 8)

What?? Too much? :oops:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Colin could practically write this thread himself. That is to say, we can leave him alone to discuss bikes by himself :mrgreen:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

snaab wrote:Colin could practically write this thread himself. That is to say, we can leave him alone to discuss bikes by himself :mrgreen:
Dude, it's contagious. You notice the DC1WD forum sprang up because the colin-two-wheels-syndrome is so contagious?
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

avriette wrote:
Dude, it's contagious.

That is the absolute truth. Riding is a very powerful experience.

To me, the best part of talking about riding is listening to everyone else's stories. Every time I hear Alex getting all worked up to be out in the cold it gets me amped up. It makes me want to go out and ride more. The last time I talked to RJ on the phone I was bouncing around the room listening to his stories of riding in sunny California. I want his damn weather and commute!!! And Chuck, well come on man! Nowadays he's wearing out STi wheel bearings just so he can put his car in the shop and ride more! I fear we've created a monster with that one.

And I couldn't be happier about it. All of it. Keep it shiny and smooth fellas, the best times are yet to come.

And don't forget the wave. 8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz