Emissions Testing

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Emissions Testing

Post by Mr Kleen »

this was originally posted by Mach V Dan on NASIOC:
Unfortunately, this is not the case. The state inspection system requires that the car has performed its own steady-state cruise cat test, which it does every few hours during highway type driving. With the resistor CEL fix, although your CEL won't come on, the car will never complete that test cycle. And so when the inspection station goes to plug in the OBD II tester thing, they'll tell you you need to go back out and drive around some more, then come back.
having finally gotten my UP/DP in working order I'm not enjoying the prospect of swapping pipes every 2 years. I just wanted to get this discussion started [again] and see what we can come up with. any shops we can trust to run a test and see what happens without reporting us or some such nonsense? I just wonder if the AccessPort will cover for me if I take out the resistor?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Your resister that we put in was for the EGT probe, and that don't come into play with the OBDII diagnostics.

The rear O2 sensor has much less cat before it and you will in time run into the P0420 CEL of the cat system being below threashold. The "CEL fix" that wires in-line with the sensor has 4-leads to the 4 wires on the O2 sensor. If this fix is used, the ECU won't pass it's diagnostics for emissions.

If you use the "mechanical fix"(drilled out plug anti-foulers) which gets the probe out of the exhaust flow, then the sensor is operating normally, the ECU passes it's diagnostic tests, and OBD-II scan will pass you for emissions if they don't combine it with a sniffer test.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

OK, so even thought I still have the 3rd cat I should use the anti-foulers AND eliminating that first sensor won't trip me up? good to know. I know what we covered this before, I was just surfing around and got a sudden attack of paranoia now that the car is running correctly. :lol

I still think I'm going to go to Autozone and get an OBDII reading after a month or so. if it's free it can't hurt.