Japan's Subarus get Stereoscopic Vision

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Both Honda and Toyota have been toying with laser-based Active Cruise Control systems for over a decade now, while the German luxury car makers have offered more expensive radar-based gizmos for almost as long. The premise of both is that an electronic copilot keeps an eye on the road ahead maintaining a safe distance from the car in front, even slamming the brakes at the last moment in an emergency should the driver fail to react.

Now, Subaru has come up with a third system, which while not quite as advanced as KITT, is as close as we've ever seen. For a premium of $3,000 a new JDM Legacy or Outback can be fitted with twin cameras, one on each side of the rear view mirror, that use human like stereoscopic vision to judge distances and generally keep tabs on the driver. Not only does "EyeSight", as the system is called, can help you keep your distance on the highway (which would have been handy for the McRae convoy on Sunday) and in stop start traffic, but also incorporates a lane departure warning system, a wake up call should everyone pull away from the lights but you (put your iPhone down), and even keeps an eye out for pedestrians while you look for that illusive break in traffic at a T-junction. Best of all, EyeSight will stop you driving through your own garage door because you selected Drive instead of Reverse – a shockingly common occurrence according to Subaru.

Click through to Subaru's Japanese website to see a cool Flash presentation and video of the system in action. First click "Pick Up – EyeSight" then the engine start button, then (once the Intro finishes) EyeSight TECHNOLOGY Movie.

Three thousand bucks may sound like a lot of money, but how much do garages charge to repair even a minor fender bender these days?

bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Japan's Subarus get Stereoscopic Vision

Post by bludragontrboawd »

what a WONderful i dea!!! but that would kinda funny to watch a drivers reaction if he/she just happen to look away while something got in front and the car slams on the brakes itself and the driver thought they hit something...

what if you were driving and someone quickly put their hand in front of the cameras like someone just pulled out.. does it stop?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I has a torn.

Part of me says - Wow, great idea! It might even help save lives!

Part of me says - Jebus, how sad is it that we are going to need devices like this to keep the :censor: retarded drivers from killing other people.

It's great tech, for sure.

It's also a sad statement about human drivers. :/
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:I has a torn.

Part of me says - Jebus, how sad is it that we are going to need devices like this to keep the :censor: retarded drivers from killing other people.

Colin said it...what I would have said if he hadn't of said it but slightly different but to the same point b/c I am different from Colin. :mrgreen:

CN: Colin said it well and I agree w/ him.

...have to excuse me b/c I am under the weather and a little loopy.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

we're getting old when we start criticizing technology that our future children will herald.

but yes, this is crap. can't anyone just.... drive anymore?
-Ben
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

i like it. it's an option. but as we all know this is a sign of things to come. it will prolly be standard equipment for our kids a la demolition man. driving will be a controled function in the future. we will have a problem with it now but the generations to come will not give it a second thought. it will be normal.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

thermobox wrote:but as we all know this is a sign of things to come. it will prolly be standard equipment for our kids a la demolition man.
Yeah, I thought I was history too. What the hell happened? All of a sudden, this car turned into a cannoli.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Very cool technology, but I'm glad it's an option. If it prevents from soccer mom from hitting my car, I'll be glad that they bought it. There are times when I'm driving to CT that I'd love to have something where I could just get on the Jersey Turnpike and pretty much let go till I got to NY.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

complacent wrote:I has a torn.

+1*45-15+6/3*12

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."