Should I get new tires, and should I get an alignment too?

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Should I get new tires, and should I get an alignment too?

Post by scheherazade »

So, I decided I'm gonna sell my car (evo 9 mr) and get a different one... (335 xi coupe)

Along the way I'm doing some touch ups to get it all nice for sale.

The tires are worn too much on the inside and I'm thinking I should get a new set.
Not sure if that's good or bad, since a buyer might want to put on their own preferred brand.

In any case, I was wondering if the tires on an evo are supposed to wear more on the inside.
I.E. with the stock alignment, am I supposed to get uneven wear?
(Are they tilted in a bit for better cornering or something?)

-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Should I get new tires, and should I get an alignment too?

Post by complacent »

I'd be awful surprised if the stock alignment was that aggressive. My first thoughts would be to have the camber and toe checked out.

But then again, the cars do come stock with neovas - pretty serious for a street car.

EDIT: Judging by this thread, your tires should NOT be wearing on the inside only. A single degree of camber ought to be fine for a DD, as well as a slight amount of toe in. If you're wearing on the inside only, you would have either excessive camber and/for toe out.

Alignment along with tires might be a good idea.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

scheherazade wrote:So, I decided I'm gonna sell my car (evo 9 mr) and get a different one... (335 xi coupe)
Wow! how long did you have the EVO? 6 months?
The grass isn't always greener you know.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I'll start with tires, and then I'll do alignment as another selling point.
If it's set aggressive then it must be really aggressive, because it's got a ~quarter inch tread on the outside, and bald on the inside (all 4 tires).

8 months I think. 335 was on my list at the beginning (I've test driven it a few times, including with a younger guy that let me "have at it").
The evo's lag and lack of low rpm torque just got to me (edit : it's strange, but I actually feel mentally worn out after a few hours in that car. The noise, the level of attention it requires to drive... I'm not actually all that "hard-core".).
335 is just a friendlier daily driver. And that's really all I do with the car anyways. (Plus it's sexy)

-scheherazade.