for the 08 haters, please chew on this for a smidgen.

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

for the 08 haters, please chew on this for a smidgen.

Post by paikmanSTi »

jic FLT-TAR & Advan RS 18x9 +29 GTR face

chicken n waffles

Re: for the 08 haters, please chew on this for a smidgen.

Post by chicken n waffles »

i can hear Gabe now... "i like the wheels."

(for the record, i like the whole car. not love, but like.)
-Ben
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sport grille and rear smoked taillight covers and the ride would be perfect...for me that is! :mrgreen:

Lookin' good! 8)
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

chicken n waffles wrote:"i like the wheels."
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

hahaha
i'm willing to accept baby steps :P
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

ok, while I'm still teetering on the edge of liking the new sti I have a few things to say about his setup.
1) I HATE how people are obsessing over teh mad tite JDM GTR face wheels.
2) Those coilovers probably ride like shit considering who they are made by and how low the car is
3) Any idiot can stretch 235's over a 9" wheel and make them fit under stock fenders (maybe a little rolling is needed).

although, i will confess that the car does look good.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
chicken n waffles

spazegun2213 wrote:ok, while I'm still teetering on the edge of liking the new sti I have a few things to say about his setup.
2) Those coilovers probably ride like shit considering who they are made by and how low the car is
3) Any idiot can stretch 235's over a 9" wheel and make them fit under stock fenders (maybe a little rolling is needed).

1) that's because they're hot. how's it different than most other styles (or just about all the rota knockoffs)? people obsess with just about every style out there. at least they aren't 22" chrome spinnaz.
2) agreed
3) why does it have to be difficult to be acceptable? i don't follow your logic on this one.
-Ben
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

chicken n waffles wrote:
spazegun2213 wrote: 3) Any idiot can stretch 235's over a 9" wheel and make them fit under stock fenders (maybe a little rolling is needed).
3) why does it have to be difficult to be acceptable? i don't follow your logic on this one.
I think the primary concern here is that with the shortage of idiots out there, tasks that are more difficult are preferred to those which can be performed by idiots.
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

paikmanSTi wrote:hahaha
remember I'm also the guy who thinks the GTR is ugly (acceptable but butt ugly) and that the R8 is kind of bland looking.

opinions are like... :mrgreen:
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

spazegun2213 wrote:ok, while I'm still teetering on the edge of liking the new sti I have a few things to say about his setup.

1) I've been using concave face(or GTR i guess is what the kids call it these days) wheels since 2002.
2) uh, i think this opinion has become another internet fandom thing. Jeez i dunno, element tuning and a lot of other companies seem to like em JUST fine..
All of my past cars have used JIC FLT coilovers. USDM valving sucks. I always get
custom JDM valved and higher spring rates. I love it, i love they're valved harsher.
I also have tracked all my cars, so suck it Trebek =P

3) That's actually the oem 245/40 rubber, which I didn't want to waste because it's quite good tire for OEM.
255/35 will be going on there shortly, you know..the max allowed for street class Redline Time attack which I'm gonna run in
at Summit point and VIR ones =)
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

Mr Kleen wrote:
paikmanSTi wrote:hahaha
remember I'm also the guy who thinks the GTR is ugly (acceptable but butt ugly) and that the R8 is kind of bland looking.

opinions are like... :mrgreen:
Yeah, i know can't please anyone especially on this body style. I just like being a conversation starter :lol:
chicken n waffles

i wanna see this sumbitch in person (the sti). 8)
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, and here I come.... I like it... I like it A LOT... Looks good man., I wish I was running with you at the Redline Time Attack!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

I think it finally clicked for me, and I like the 08's. Albeit only blacked out or in white. Very nice!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
chicken n waffles

snaab wrote:I think it finally clicked for me, and I like the 08's. Albeit only blacked out or in white. Very nice!
the white on goldies is pretty hawt. see: cobb's sti
-Ben
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

congrats. the car is dead sexay. thanx for sharing the pics.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

chicken n waffles wrote:
snaab wrote:I think it finally clicked for me, and I like the 08's. Albeit only blacked out or in white. Very nice!
the white on goldies is pretty hawt. see: cobb's sti

Yea, I'm familiar, but for some reason my head wants to reserve white for the Mazdaspeed 3 :)
RJ
'13 Mazda3
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

hey, I met a DCAWD member today, he said he was one of the founders...was with his wife(?) with an 08 impreza
sorry, i'm so bad with names,
Thanks for the compliments !
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

paikmanSTi wrote:hey, I met a DCAWD member today, he said he was one of the founders...was with his wife(?) with an 08 impreza
OK, who bought an '08 without telling?
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Mr Kleen wrote:OK, who bought an '08 without telling?
Not I. Perhaps Darrin or Matt?

--Alan
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Clearly i should have prefaced my post with my track-snob disposition.

1) Its just weird that people flock to things with JDM written all over them for no other reason that its not from the US. Dont get me wrong, they are GOOD looking wheels... just a little "played out" on every forum since I see them on every car. Where as I'd rather see something like a light RPF1 or something...

2) Other than people sponsored by JIC, I dont see "a lot" of people using them. I mean, sure they are a entry level racing coilover. They are better than teins, and are a little better than cusco's but then again JIC is about all Japan has to offer in good coilovers. Trust me when i say, take a ride on some KW's, TC Kleins, or even nice GC's that are valved correctly with 500-700lb springs, and you'll see why I'm hating ;) Also, you did slam your car, and thus are REALLY limiting you travel which also does not help ride quality or your camber curve. Please note the picture of your z if you want a good example of a TERRIBLE camber curve due to ride height. I can only imagine what you had to do to get the rear camber back to something acceptable (I'm well versed in those cars as well) Also, I think its great that you track your cars! But the fact is 99% of the people that modify their cars, don't.

3) Pardon me then, but they look very stretched to be 245's. How much fender clearance do you have? could you fit 275's under there? Seriously though, if you could that would be really nice.

I'll be seeing you at the time attacks, I'll be in a Tc and maybe my vette. Sorry for coming of as an asshole, but I'd rather see people realize that there is a reason you cant lower a car all the way down and expect them to handle better because you put coilovers on it. But for looks, it works really well... really well ;) Oh, and to be honest there is that little part of me that hates you for having a subaru, because i want one again so badly, lol.

paikmanSTi wrote: 1) I've been using concave face(or GTR i guess is what the kids call it these days) wheels since 2002.
2) uh, i think this opinion has become another internet fandom thing. Jeez i dunno, element tuning and a lot of other companies seem to like em JUST fine..
All of my past cars have used JIC FLT coilovers. USDM valving sucks. I always get
custom JDM valved and higher spring rates. I love it, i love they're valved harsher.
I also have tracked all my cars, so suck it Trebek =P
3) That's actually the oem 245/40 rubber, which I didn't want to waste because it's quite good tire for OEM.
255/35 will be going on there shortly, you know..the max allowed for street class Redline Time attack which I'm gonna run in
at Summit point and VIR ones =)

Gone But not forgotten
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

paikmanSTi wrote:hey, I met a DCAWD member today, he said he was one of the founders...was with his wife(?) with an 08 impreza
yep. it was me. she'll love that you called her my wife. no ring yet but she basically is. john's car is effin sweet. i was steady droolin on it and the old lady was still bitchin that she shoulda got the grey sti that was at the stealership. but it's not in her range of money right now with the higher ins., prem., gas, oil, tires, etc, etc,.
i was tryin to hold out tellin you guys until we got it lookin semi sweet. but the cat is outta the bag. kelly is the proud new owner of an 08 spark silver na 5 door impreza.
so far all we've done is the user friendly stuff. armrest ext., rear cup holder, both rear cargo nets, and the acrylic fog protectors. i've got the sti pinks for it but i'm holding out on the install untill we get whatever other suspension/brake goodies that come down the pipe.
she's rockin my old rota tarmac 2's right now until we decide on the right rims for her.
did i say that john's car looks great? cuz it does. mm mm mm yummy!
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

No problem man, I realized i came back kind of asshole-ish too haha.
Yeah, I don't think i could fit 275's with this offset, it's not the ride height at that point haha. other 08 owners have fit 275 and 285 on less agressive fitment 9" and 9.5"
Yeah my setups aren't probably as optimized as it could be, but I like getting a proper alignment I can for my setup, and just going
out there and rocking it
:D

Oh and I will be getting these though, at least,
=)
Last edited by paikmanSTi on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

thermobox wrote:
yep. it was me. she'll love that you called her my wife. no ring yet but she basically is.
He's Alive!!!!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

paikmanSTi wrote:No problem man, I realized i came back kind of asshole-ish too haha.
Yeah, I don't think i could fit 275's with this offset, it's not the ride height at that point haha. other 08 owners have fit 275 and 285 on less agressive fitment 9" and 9.5"
Yeah my setups aren't probably as optimized as it could be, but I like getting a proper alignment I can for my setup, and just going
out there and rocking it
:D

Oh and I will be getting these though, at least,
=)
haha, its all good, I've been downing the hateraide like none other since the vette is still down (although i have the parts to fix it). Really the most important part about your car is that you like it :) The Ball joint extenders will help with the curve a little, but you might want to raise is a little for any track driving. Summit, shenandoah is not kind to low cars... well cars in general. :) if you need any help getting used to the track let me know, I'll trade instruction for a few laps driving an 08 ;)

Gone But not forgotten