Finally got to spend some time with the 08 STi

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Finally got to spend some time with the 08 STi

Post by Cereb Daithi »

It's 11:30 at night... not the best time to type this up but I'm going to anyways.

Yesterday at work I finally got a chance to take the 08 STi out for a true shakedown. I had to pick one up for a dealer trade a ways away. Got to do some driving onn some windy PA back roads as well as an hour long haul on the turn-pike.

I tried to take some pics with the cellphone on the straightaway stretches but nothing spectacular. I'll go over the more "everyday" things that you don't really have enough time to get a good feel for on a quick test-drive

View out the frontt:

Not much can be said about the view out the front. No real problems with anything intrusive. The only problem I could forsee was the plastic protecting the gauge cluster is curved... I didn't have any problems with it but on a very sunny day that might be annoying.... not sure though. As far as the gauge cluster itself is concernedI like it a lot. I'm used to more "numbers" on the spedo (the 40-60 jump took some getting used to at first) but everything was easily visible unlike the tribeca. Nothing spectacularly different from the older models except for the location of the DCCD readout. I don't like how they did away with those red illuminated "blocks". The small LCD just doesn't do it for me. I like the revisions to the center console a lot. Things feel "meatier" the new dials for the climate control have a nice tactile feel to them. Things are where you would expect them to be. Not much else can be said

View out the back:

A little more difficult than the previous years in some ways. There are a few more blind spots than last time and the rear glass might take some getting used to. I had no problem backing around places using my rear-view and side mirrors... but then again I'm also used to backing up 26-foot trucks from my previous job. It is nice not having the midget-bleacher directly in the middle of your rear-view though.

Comfort:
Say what you will about the lack of posterior-al longitudinal-movement preventative support....... yeah....... I'll agree. But damn these seats are much more comfortable. In the old STi I couldn't sit in it for more than 20min without feeling the pain in my lower back. These ones kept me happy the whole trip. If you use it for daily driving you'll love the seats in terms of comfort.

Other thoughts:
Just a few random things in no particular order than caught my attention.
-Love the new dark headliner. Much better look
-Damn the sun-visors are cheapy
-Almost too quiet
-Factory sound system still absolute garbage
-Si drive is interesting. I never really took it out of S# though.
-Feels a bit more tame and mature than the previous models like everyone says

All that being said. Would I buy one if I had the cash in hand? No.... probably not. Here's the problem. For the same cash you can have a Spec B. It has the 6-speed and Si drive but you get so much more bang for your buck in terms of a street-vehicle. The impreza has always been the "detuned rally car" in my mind. The fact that it's trying to be the new legacy almost makes it redundant. Apart from the DCCD and bigger brakes there's nothing that would make me want the 08 STi over an 08 Spec B.

If you really want one though.... you won't be disappointed with it.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Finally got to spend some time with the 08 STi

Post by Mr Kleen »

good write-up. I wouldn't turn down the keys for an afternoon, but my money is waiting for the coupe. :wink:
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I'm excited about the coupe as well

My biggest problem with the 08 STi is the fact that there it feels so half-assed in every field. Too rough to be a smooth street-cruiser, too tame to be a detuned rally car. It can hold it's on in any situation but excels at none. I think the word I'm looking for is "tepid". It certainly gets attention. When I was at a gas station filling it up during the trip I got a bunch of people walking up to me and asking about it. The thing is though once you're in it and driving around it just doesn't inspire the same feeling. It's not primal enough for an STi. Maybe I'm weird or immature or simply against the grain, but if I buy an STi I want it to be loud, rough, raw, and mean. It feels like subaru switched from moonshine to vodka martinis if you get the analogy. Both will get you intoxicated all the same, but the former just seems more fun.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Cereb Daithi wrote:It feels like subaru switched from moonshine to vodka martinis if you get the analogy.
and I think we all know where I stand on this issue. :mrgreen:
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i agree that for the money, a leggy gt spec b is the way to go.

that said, i love the "rawness" of my 06 sti. it doesn't pretend to be a comfortable commuter, and makes no mistake about basically being a econobox with a turbo. then again, it was wicked cheaper than the 08.
-Ben
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

We have a Spec B at our dealer that's been sitting there for 5 months. No-one is interested at all in it. If anyone wants it grab it so it can stop teasing me.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Cereb Daithi wrote:We have a Spec B at our dealer that's been sitting there for 5 months. No-one is interested at all in it. If anyone wants it grab it so it can stop teasing me.
Price? JK! I really like the '08 Spec B's as well. Thanks for the nice write up. :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Cereb Daithi wrote:...stop teasing me.
Speaking of a tease, I thought there was a black kettle around here someplace :rolllaugh:
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
paikmanSTi
I'm a n000b

Post by paikmanSTi »

I was going to go with a SpecB, but the extra 250-300lbs of curb weight really threw me off. Plus I didn't intend on leaving the suspension alone anyways.
For those planning on leaving it mostly stock with just motor mods though, I think it's a better value too, the torque and hp numbers due to the vf48 and AVCS tuning are astounding.
That being said, my mother has a 08 2.5 limited and its definetely a lot nicer inside haha.
But this car is going to see lapping day duty, so I need all the advantages I can get without the sacrifices of a true-touring car like the Legacy.