cobb's $45,000 (:picard:) 08 sti

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

chicken n waffles

cobb's $45,000 (:picard:) 08 sti

Post by chicken n waffles »

my link brings all the nerds to the yard

those prodrive wheels give me happy feelings in my crotchal area, and i love what they did to the tails. def. not a fan of cobb's suspension package though. aesthetically, sure. performance, hell no.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: cobb's $45,000 (:picard:) 08 sti

Post by complacent »

98ft stopping distance is no small task. Whoa!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

complacent wrote:98ft stopping distance is no small task. Whoa!
fo' reelz. quite impressive.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the first company to get good looking '08 Impreza tails to market should make a tidy profit.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

So braking got reduced 8ft by just tires and suspension?...and probably unsprung weight as well and...okay, nevermind...just answered my own question.
Just to clairify, the Toyo R888 (pronounced "Arrrrr Triple-Eight" like a pirate, no kidding), are a dedicated street legal R-Compound track tire. It has a treadwear rating of 100 and uses the same tread compound as the RA-1, so it's no surprise that it dropped the stopping distance so greatly. Hell, they should have done it from 70 or 80 mph and seen a really big difference. It is also likely to have made all the difference in the handling as well. I'm not saying that the springs and front/rear anti-roll bars did nothing, but It's important to understand just how Big a difference R-Compound tires make. Conventional racing wisdom says on most circuits of around 2 miles or so, R-Compound tires are worth between 2-3 seconds per lap.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

sirwilliam wrote:So braking got reduced 8ft by just tires and suspension?...and probably unsprung weight as well and...okay, nevermind...just answered my own question.
:smack:
-Ben
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

chicken n waffles wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:So braking got reduced 8ft by just tires and suspension?...and probably unsprung weight as well and...okay, nevermind...just answered my own question.
:smack:
:lol: Yeah, I am under the weather w/ a little stress and not sleeping good at all...definitely need a mental smack couple times a day.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

sirwilliam wrote:definitely need a mental smack couple times a day.
I'm sure there would be no shortage of volunteers. :lol:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

That is a very impressive ride indeed.....

Mark :mrgreen:
2010 GGM LGT Premium
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

So braking got reduced 8ft by just tires and suspension?...and probably unsprung weight as well and...okay, nevermind...just answered my own question.

Just to clairify, the Toyo R888 (pronounced "Arrrrr Triple-Eight" like a pirate, no kidding), are a dedicated street legal R-Compound track tire. It has a treadwear rating of 100 and uses the same tread compound as the RA-1, so it's no surprise that it dropped the stopping distance so greatly. Hell, they should have done it from 70 or 80 mph and seen a really big difference. It is also likely to have made all the difference in the handling as well. I'm not saying that the springs and front/rear anti-roll bars did nothing, but It's important to understand just how Big a difference R-Compound tires make. Conventional racing wisdom says on most circuits of around 2 miles or so, R-Compound tires are worth between 2-3 seconds per lap.

Sorry Will, I didn't mean to modify your post. I hit the wrong button and ooops.

Although most folks probably already realize than any smart-ass tire comment is going to come from me.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I will say that it looks a lot better, by comparison. The aftermarket is doing some nice things with it I but I still miss the aggressive, non hatch, look of previous models. Meh, well.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."