Pre-turbo water injection

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Pre-turbo water injection

Post by Sabre »

Hey all,
As you know, Zak runs water injection and I'm planning to very soon as well. Zak and I have talked about pre-turbo injection, as Richard L (the engineer behind Aquamist systems) recommends often that we put the injection as early as possible in the intake tract. Zak and I both agreed after some talking that pre-turbo injecting would probably not be very good (I at first thought it would be, but wasn't willing to sacrafice my new turbo to try it). Well, after a year and a half of doing pre-turbo injecting, here is what a guys turbo looked like:

I had actually talked to Richard about pre-turbo injecting and he is actually coming up with a nice injector to do it... I probably won't be doingit now though!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I bet if you are running in competitions and such, replacing the center section of a turbo every month or so is no biggie, but not quite where we are at, I don't believe. If we are trying to squeek every las bit of torque and HP yout of our blocks to use this, we need serios help!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Pre turbo water injection is what happens to me when i drive through a puddle and My air ducting sucks up water :). Check out propane injection, it's one of the more readily available things to inject, tough I prefer just plan gas :)
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

I've talked to Richard Lamb about this, and he urged me to install the jet into the TMIC, which is what I did. My WRX is on the Aquamist site if you want to see the pics.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

There is a huge amout of chatter on this very issue on just about every WI forum board. The fact is that the water mist has to be very fine otherwise the droplets will pit the blades when impacting them at supersonic speeds. Some claim that such "pitting" is unlikely and is hard to prove. I have never seen a compressor blade that is that badly damaged, I'm almost tempted to say that some other particulate matter may have entered the air stream to do that kind of damage. I knew a Porsche turbo guy years back that did a pre turbo WI and made similar comments though I never saw any visual proof. He eventually moved the nozzle to post turbo.