Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Post by Mr Kleen »

Raven wrote:Also, I think you guys are nuts with your desire to add more power to my car. The wheelbase is too short for a ton of power.
275 is a "ton of power" in a modern sports car?
:screwy:
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

A new report by Autocar is that a supercharged version of the Toyota 86 is already under development, by TRD. Chief engineer Tetsuo Tada is said to favor the supercharger approach because it is simpler to achieve than increasing engine size and doesn’t wreck throttle response as turbocharging might.
also theyve come out stating its going to be between 24k for premium and 27k for limited models
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

A small enough turbo shouldn't wreck the throttle response, but eh, I'm not an auto engineer. SC is great, but the parasitic losses on a 200HP 4 banger might be felt...

Not bad prices honestly!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report on the above
It also hasn't been confirmed how much extra power the supercharger will add to the 197 horsepower 2.0L engine, but Toyota claims that the current chassis can easily handle another 50 horsepower. TRD is also looking at ways to beef up the suspension to handle even more power.
:nana:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Toyota is in love with supercharges the past several years. I prefer capturing energy that is otherwise wasted with a turbo.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i do love a good blower whine... i'm excited to see what will come of this. keep in mind, you can roll the cost of trd products into your loan with toyota. that's a huge plus.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I presume that all TRD products keep the warranty? Can they only be installed by them?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

2013 Subaru BRZ - The Masters Of AWD Nail RWD

Autoblog really loves the BRZ. Now here's the bad news:
Autoblog wrote:And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on. They moved so many things around, we don't know why they couldn't have been just as creative with some forced induction, but the company's traditional placement of the intercooler atop the engine simply wouldn't have worked. Subaru plans a longer life-cycle for the car, six to seven years instead of four to five, and it was strongly hinted that we would see a power bump during a mid-cycle refresh – but not a turbocharged bump. We were told as well, though, that this engine will be the base of Subaru's next-generation turbocharged engine.
I would gladly pay a premium [and trade in my BMW] for a road going version of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LjYl7VfFKE[/video]

:drool:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I'm not spending anymore money on my MX-5 and saving up for one of these.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:Lamborghini Aventador: 3472/690 = 5.03 lbs/hp
WHAT'S THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM
rocket scientist
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

jalopnik is reporting a turbo version of the BRZ's engine but that its not intended for the BRZ (yet). Hmmmm....STI version, perhaps. DI and a small, responsive turbo and 25-35% increase in power would make this that much more interesting. Thing is...it's got to stay below the STI in price, so that leaves but a small window...
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

a small, responsive turbo and 25-35% increase in power would make this that much more interesting.
Indeed, I can't believe no one ever thought of it.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

If Subaru looses an STi sale to a turbo BRZ, no big deal. If Subaru looses an STi sale to a turbo GT86... :buttkick:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

is Toyota building their own or are they outsourced to Subaru? I know Subaru designed the GT86 for them.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Not sure how the production will be split but I would think the company with the name on the car will get the lion's share of the profit from a sale. And then there's the service, go-fast parts and possible return business.
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

hmm I may be in a dilemma when I finnally am ready to buy a ''play car'' 2011/12 mustang GT(with all performance options,wrx STI( of any year ) or possibly this BRZ if the hype really lives up to what there saying. I would prefer not to buy the scion and the toyta isnt gonna be in the states but who cares there all the same car lol.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

R&T - Subaru BRZ Convertible in the works

At the moment, the BRZ Coupe is good for a 0-60 mph sprint of less than 7 seconds. A convertible would undoubtedly add some extra mass onto the coupe’s 2,770 lb. curb weight. That might take a slight edge off performance; yet according to some sources, a convertible is part of the BRZ (and mechanically identical Toyota 86/Scion FR-S) project. That means the chassis should cope with the loss of the hardtop using only a minimal amount of extra bracing. Like the coupe, expect a choice of 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission equipped with paddle shifters.
I don't think that I would be a fan...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Not diggin' it. Let's work on that turbo, then we can think about a convertible version. :wink:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:Not diggin' it. Let's work on that turbo, then we can think about a convertible version. :wink:
:plusone: ^100000000
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

You guys aren't getting a turbo because you want it.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

that looks spectacular but is contrary to everything the car is supposedly about

edit - but it's a BIG FU to Mazda so I'll accept it
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

No convertable version is in the works I just red that somewhere or maybe that was for the FR-s anyways lets drive the car before we say it needs a turbo. I just want to drive it befor we pass judgement on it yet if you want a turbo thats what the currnt WRX/LGT/ FXT/STI are for lol
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

boomee wrote:No convertable version is in the works. I just read that somewhere, or maybe that was for the FR-S? Anyways, let's drive the car before we say it needs a turbo. I just want to drive it before we pass judgement on it. If you want a turbo that's what the current WRX/LGT/ FXT/STI are for lol!
The nearest car to the BRZ is the Miata. I have driven 3 different generations of Miata. In my opinion they're all brillant and they all need just a bit more power. I've read 2 different articles where Subaru engineers admit that more power would be easy for the chassis to handle and would make the car even more entertaining.

Are you suggesting than an AWD WRX or STi would be a compariable alternative to a light weight RWD coupe with a CG lower than a Porsche Cayman? :screwy: The only thing crazier than that idea is that an LGT or FXT would be an alternative. You can't even get a turbo FXT with a manual transmission. :rolllaugh:

The bean-counters at Subaru know that if the BRX gets a turbo WRX (and possibly STi) sales will tank. It's the same thing Porsche does, holding the Cayman back to protect the 911, and I don't like it one bit.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Scion FR-S turbo spotted testing at Laguna Seca
Autoblog wrote:It looks as if Scion may be hard at work on a new turbocharged FR-S prototype. Motor Trend nabbed a quick video of what appears to be a forced-induction version of the coupe darting around Laguna Seca. With its tall wing and sideways antics, the vehicle is likely being put through its paces by the Scion drift team, which has had to rely on specially modified TC models until now. It makes sense for the drift team to strap a turbo onto the vehicle's 2.0-liter flat four for a little extra grunt, but it's unclear if a forced-induction version of the FR-S will make its way to production.
Hey look, a turbo BRZ. :buttkick: For Formula D use.