New Cobb intake?

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

New Cobb intake?

Post by sirwilliam »

What's people's take on this?...they say it works w/ their AP w/ the maps already there...no change needed to use the intake...says, "engineered to duplicate stock performance".
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I just hacked the intake silencer, dropped in a K&N, installed a 3" PVC elbow, and purchased a $3 blank to block off the old intake. works like a charm and the total investment was less than $50. been thinking about upgrading the intake hose and turbo inlet hose to silicone, but that's about all that's left to upgrade for my setup.

BTW: I'm running Stage 1 myself.
GeneralGrievous
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by GeneralGrievous »

Was looking at alot of shorty intakes but your mod sounds pretty nice Kleen, and cheap :wink:

Doesnt sound like something I cant handle once I bust a knuckle or two removing the silencer. Dumb question here I suppose but with any new intake or opening of the box will I run too lean without ECU work? I warned you... its a dumb question I guess...

Thanks
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

if it "performs" as well as stock, then what's the point of upgrading?

seriously, there are only two reasons why i would get an intake:

i need one for an FMIC ;) (sitting in my living room)

something i could tune to give me those last few AWHP (neverending chase)

if it doesn't have proven performance gains, I would say wait it out...

On a side note, I will have a GPMOTO elbow for sale when I finally get around to installing my FMIC. If you'd like, you can have that and get rid of your snorkus.

just my .02USD
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GeneralGrievous wrote:Was looking at alot of shorty intakes but your mod sounds pretty nice Kleen, and cheap :wink:

Doesnt sound like something I cant handle once I bust a knuckle or two removing the silencer. Dumb question here I suppose but with any new intake or opening of the box will I run too lean without ECU work? I warned you... its a dumb question I guess...

Thanks
the K&N is the only "expensive" part of the mod. the silencer is a PITA to get out but after you can hear the recirculating valve doing it's job and just a hint of turbo spool. if you like quiet cars I wouldn't do more than the K&N. personally, I like a car that makes teh seksay sounds. removing the silencer probably adds a whopping 2 HP so it's no big deal either way. to make it a perfectly clean install I recommend the black PCC elbow. come to a Hard Times meet (or stop by Alexandria) and I'll show you my setup. might even help you yank out your silencer if you have a cold beer about. 8)
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Intakes are a dime a dozen really, but the AP seems only to give you more HP with a few intakes (cobbs being one of them). I think for the right price (mine being $50, thanks collin!!) an intake sounds great! I can hear the recirc. valve, the turbo and all that good stuff. Also, took me a whopping 45 (w/o taking the wheel off) to get the stock intake out and the new one in, its really not that bad.

-Spaze
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Intakes are the source of ALOT of controversy. The majority of people do not think that you need one till you hit the 300WHP mark. I knoew quite a few WRX's that did very well with the stock intake box with the silencer taken out (Zaxrex and Bluscooby23 off the top of my head). I do agree the need for a intake comes much later in the game for FI cars since they have something actually pulling/pushing the air into the engine. NA cars on the other hand definitely benefit from a less resistive intake.

Since alot of people have "intakes on the head", most manufacturers have made intakes that are a little freer flowing, yet retain the same MAF readings. This is so that people don't run too lean if they just install the intake in a un-EM modified car. Where you begin to see the benefit of the intake is when you get one that is much freer flowing and needs EM to take advantage of (like 90% of mods out there, haha). Looking at the Blitz intake, you can see that they directionalize the air flow to the MAF sensor using a set of metal veins. If you look at the Godspeed intake, it's is wide open!

Before getting an intake, make sure you have the EM to take advantage of it. Also be aware that you will hear the turbo and the BOV (if you are 100% recirc.) much more that you would with the stock air box. If you plan on making lots of power eventually, I think this might be the way to go.

Just my .02$ :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
whistle26

I get it

Post by whistle26 »

spazegun2213 wrote: Also, took me a whopping 45 (w/o taking the wheel off) to get the stock intake out and the new one in, its really not that bad.
Lol, okay i get it now.