UP & DP install tips?

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

UP & DP install tips?

Post by Mr Kleen »

well the plan (this time...) is to head back to KY to hang out with my dad for a couple days and do the install(s) there in his garage. I've been reading up on Unabomber's Manifesto about the install procedures. anybody have any good tips to pass along before next weekend? I really wish my dad had a high speed connection so I could check in during the process. oh well, the instructions should help. wish I could print them out from Scoobymods without using screen caps.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Uppipe: Leave LOTS of time (5-6 hours). Most of the time is consumed removing all of the heat shielding (which, as Colin pointed out, is sharpend by mean Subaru tech's before shipping). I'd coat all of the parts to be removed with WD40 or whatever the night before hand. This includes the bolts on the downpipe, the bolts on the Uppipe->turbo side, and the bolts on the headers->uppipe. If you can, loosen the engine mounts and move the engine up 1/2" (we used a 2 ton jack). That will make it alot easier to get the stock uppipe out. Make sure to have the "fix" for the EGT sensor.

CALL IF YOU NEED HELP!!!!! 202-255-3094. It stays on my hours of the day, so feel free to call if you need someone to walk you through parts.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

What ^^^ said. Be patient, you will be doing some swearing during the course of the install. You can leave the turbo connected via oil/water lines, no need to completely remove it. You've got my celly so you can give me a ring if you get stuck/have questions.

Remove the uppipe from the bottom of the car, no need to try and pull it out through the top.

Oh yea, REMOVE THE EGT PROBE FROM THE UPPIPE BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT REMOVING THE UPPIPE.

The above yelled statement will save you time, hair (oh wait... n/m) and a few years worth of a healthy heart. Trust me. Make sure beer is readily available and cold. Then it's just an afternoon away from 500rpm sooner spooling and that great boxer rumble uncorked. It's a b-e-a-utiful thang... ;)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

bluscooby23 wrote: Remove the uppipe from the bottom of the car, no need to try and pull it out through the top.

Oh yea, REMOVE THE EGT PROBE FROM THE UPPIPE BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT REMOVING THE UPPIPE.
lol, How the hell would you remove it from the top? :) We actually removed it with the EGT prob in the pipe since we couldn't get to it to remove it. If you manage to get it out though, then don't bother hoisting up the engine, you'll be able to easily slip the uppipe out.

Oh, one more thing... Make sure you have a O2 sensor puller. I have one if you need one. Easiest way to take out the O2 sensor is to go through the wheel well.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Make sure you have all necessary up-pipe studs installed correctly before trying to install it. If you strip one for some reason, you can usually pull one or two from the old pipe by soaking it with liquid wrench. Put on two nuts back to back on the stud and cross tighten to lock them together. Take a 12mm wrench to the bottom bolt and twist with all your might. If you are worried about it, I have a few extra that I picked up for emergencies if you wanted to borrow them.

Well, at leasst I can't get you kicked out of your dad's place, unlike last time.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

extra bolt insurance is ALWAYS welcome. especially if you saw where my dad lives! :eek:

BTW: didn't I see you at the intersection of North Jordan and Duke last Wednesday around 8ish? I waved at a bug-eye, then after I passed I thought "don't I know that guy?"
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

That would have been me most likely. I didn't catch the wave, sorry. Since you are around the area, want to meet up somewheres and you can borros some hardware?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sure thing. I'm usually home by 5 PM. I'm going to try and head out of town Friday at noon, so any day before then is good for me. just drop me a PM and I'll meet you.

hey, maybe we should have a "happy hour" get together on Thursday? anybody else up for it?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh, did someone say they want a girly drink? Ok, maybe it was just Happy Hour... How does Thursday sound for everyone? Chevy's in Pentagon City?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sabre wrote:How does Thursday sound for everyone? Chevy's in Pentagon City?
excellent idea. wish I had thought of that. wait a minute... :mrgreen:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I'm in... ;)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I think I can do this ... but why is this in the "Intake & Exhaust" forum? :?

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you have to read the thread from the BEGINNING... :roll:

:wink: