Winter wheel & tire setup, sweet

Want to sell something to a local? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Winter wheel & tire setup, sweet

Post by zaxrex »

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 73456.html
may be gone already, but thems some nice wheels and you get free tires with them.
Last edited by zaxrex on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

<looks around for someone to mug>
Last edited by ElZorro on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That's not a bad deal at all...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

moving to 4Sale forum. :wink:

not a bad deal. too bad they aren't bronze. :lol:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Funny story:
Repair shop -- "we can't get your replacement wheels that match your non-damaged one, do you want us to get three different ones?"
Me -- "Ahh, no"
Repair shop -- "OK, then you need to get your own replacement wheels and we can reimburse you up to $730."
Me -- "Ahh, OK"

So I got a message into this guy and another one out to a guy in CA that has the same P-7s as mine but with winter tires.

If both of these fall through, I'm just gonna get a set of sick ultra-high performance tires and a spec allignment at p_Tuning...

THIS IS NOT MY JOB, PEOPLE! The shop gets paid by the insurance company to do this. I don't.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

zaxrex wrote:If both of these fall through, I'm just gonna get a set of sick ultra-high performance tires and a spec allignment at p_Tuning...
Tire Tack just tested a new Sumitomo HTR Z III Max Performance Summer against the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, the Continental ContiSportContact 3 and the Yokohama ADVAN Sport. All excellent tires!

The Sumitomo recieved the highest score and had the best performance in every dry performance category and was just behind the others in wet. and here's the kicker price: 225/45ZR17 $90.00 (each)!
the others: $135, $160, $180! Yep, HALF! Damn Impressive.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Looks like I found my next summer tire :) Thanks Darrin!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Ditto that looks hot!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The HTR ZIII may be a step down from what you are currently running on.

The Advan Neova (classified as an Extreme Performance Summer tire) is a step up on the Advan Sports (Max Performance Summer tire) The Neova really is a track tire that doubles as a street tire, much like the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212.

If you really like the Advan Neovas but don't want to pay $200+ a pop each than you may want to consider the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 which would be about $100. The Z212 were the number 2 ranked tire on dry behind the Neova by Car and Driver's 12 tire shoot out (I can e-mail a pdf file I made of it if you want). The Z212's wet traction was at the lower end of the scale however, 9th out of 12. But they are probably the best bang for the buck in that class of tire.

The Falken Azenis Rt615 are another great dry tire, that do wondrs on track days, but they're wet performance is abyssmal and thus can't get a recommendation from me as a true street tire.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

drwrx wrote:The HTR ZIII may be a step down from what you are currently running on.

The Advan Neova (classified as an Extreme Performance Summer tire) is a step up on the Advan Sports (Max Performance Summer tire) The Neova really is a track tire that doubles as a street tire, much like the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212.

If you really like the Advan Neovas but don't want to pay $200+ a pop each than you may want to consider the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 which would be about $100. The Z212 were the number 2 ranked tire on dry behind the Neova by Car and Driver's 12 tire shoot out (I can e-mail a pdf file I made of it if you want). The Z212's wet traction was at the lower end of the scale however, 9th out of 12. But they are probably the best bang for the buck in that class of tire.

The Falken Azenis Rt615 are another great dry tire, that do wondrs on track days, but they're wet performance is abyssmal and thus can't get a recommendation from me as a true street tire.
As always, it comes down to $$$ when I'm ready to buy. I'm VERY happy with the Neovas, but they are pricey.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Sabre wrote:
As always, it comes down to $$$ when I'm ready to buy. I'm VERY happy with the Neovas, but they are pricey.
$texas

vs

$rhode island

:lol:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

Sabre wrote:As always, it comes down to $$$ when I'm ready to buy. I'm VERY happy with the Neovas, but they are pricey.
Also look at the soon to come out Toyo R1-R, and Kumho XS both are due out early next year and should be about the same level as the Advan Neova/Azenis/Z212/RE-01r

moxnix - street tire racer.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

moxnix wrote:Also look at the soon to come out Toyo R1-R, and Kumho XS both are due out early next year and should be about the same level as the Advan Neova/Azenis/Z212/RE-01r
I've heard good things about the upcoming Kumho XS. The Falken RT-615 was the benchmark and supposedly their test driver was consistently faster on the Kumho. Internally the tire has been known as the FK (Falken Killer). The test driver was also supposedly faster on the new Kumho over the Bridgestone RE-01R, which is an amazing tire in performance.

Here's a pic of it from the SEMA show:

My fear is that it will be a poor wet tire much like the MX
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

What, can't you see the water evacuation sipes? No, neither can I...

So the insurance company is being dumb. I'm just going to throw the towel in and get a set of the HTR Z III in 225/45-17 or 235 since they are going on 7.5 wheels and would be better for stopping. Maybe be a little squirmy on turn in, eh?
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

They make 225/45ZR17 and 235/45ZR17. the next is a 245/40ZR17 but they say it takes a 8" rim width to fit, so you may have to pass on those.
the 225 have 9" section width / 8.1 tread width / 25" diameter
the 235 have 9.4" section width / 8.5 tread width / 25.4" diameter
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

drwrx wrote:My fear is that it will be a poor wet tire much like the MX
The reason for the offset circumferential grooves being closer to the outside is for better wet weather performance while continuing to have good dry grip.
I used to run the MX on my old car and I thought wet grip was actually pretty good.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

moxnix wrote:I used to run the MX on my old car and I thought wet grip was actually pretty good.
Sadly, every test on the Kuhmo MX I have ever seen puts it at the bottom on wet. Tire Rack has tested it 4 times and it is always the worst in wet traction. The Car and Driver review refered to the MX as "far to easy to send it sliding yet took seemingly forever to recover and regain traction. While it's dry times put it near the middle of the most of the tests, it's poor showing in every wet test put this tire dead last."
moxnix
Tricycle

Post by moxnix »

drwrx wrote:Sadly, every test on the Kuhmo MX I have ever seen puts it at the bottom on wet. Tire Rack has tested it 4 times and it is always the worst in wet traction. The Car and Driver review refered to the MX as "far to easy to send it sliding yet took seemingly forever to recover and regain traction. While it's dry times put it near the middle of the most of the tests, it's poor showing in every wet test put this tire dead last."
That Dec 05 C&D test gave very poor marks to the Z212 in the wet also. If the test you are talking about was done under the same conditions as the Dec 05 tire test with all tires set to the same pressures (car maker recommended pressures) then I am sure the floppy sidewall of the MX had something to do with those ratings. I feel that C&D tire tests are about 1 step above Consumer reports tire tests (and I think the Falken Zeix 512 is the worst rain/snow tire ever so that should tell you how much I trust CR)

The MX is a little old now but when it came out the tirerack tested it and it beat both the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD and the Yokohama AVS Sport (top tires at the time) in the wet so I see no reason that the new XS would not be a top wet performer also when it comes out since tire technology has greatly improved since then.

At the time tirerack said this about the MX "On the track in the wet, the Ecsta MX continued to provide responsive handling, along with good cornering and braking traction. This made the Ecsta MX easier to drive at the limit and allowed it to turn the fastest lap times of the three tires."