Bridgestone Blizzak WS50s

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Bridgestone Blizzak WS50s

Post by sirwilliam »

Just got in my set of WS50s this past weekend. I have only heard good reviews for them through the grapevine but wanted to get owner's opinions on them from here. Any owner's here?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i just use the blizzak lm-25's like everyone else (seemingly). love 'em. i tore through the snow last winter.
-Ben
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Bridgestone Blizzak WS50s

Post by zaxrex »

sirwilliam wrote:but wanted to get owner's opinions on them from here. Any owner's here?
Uhh, have you heard of ElZorro? He is the main mac daddy pimp of the Blizzak 50s.

Surprised you don't remember the tale about driving to MN in the blizzard passing tow trucks and tractor trailers...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Bridgestone Blizzak WS50s

Post by sirwilliam »

zaxrex wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:but wanted to get owner's opinions on them from here. Any owner's here?
Uhh, have you heard of ElZorro? He is the main mac daddy pimp of the Blizzak 50s.

Surprised you don't remember the tale about driving to MN in the blizzard passing tow trucks and tractor trailers...
No, I don't remember that. I think stock XT when Jason's ride comes to mind :lol: but that is good to hear. Thanks! Can't wait to get them on...WTF are my TPMS sensors!!!!!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Stock? Don't you remember his horizontal racing stripes? Wait, no, that was scratched paint.

I'm a bad man. Like I'm one to talk with my broke assed schist.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

zaxrex wrote:Stock? Don't you remember his horizontal racing stripes? Wait, no, that was scratched paint.

I'm a bad man. Like I'm one to talk with my broke assed schist.
I just think back to your piles of parts...you are forgiven. :lol:

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I hear nothing but good things about them but WS50s = overkill for NoVA winters. we didn't even get snow last year.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:I hear nothing but good things about them and WS50s = perfect for PA winters. we didn't even get snow last year.
Fixed. :wink:

midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

If the WS50s are Overkill then what are the best (and size) for NoVa winters on stock BBS rims?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/snows.jsp shows a nice list of tires that tirerack carries broken down by application. I have a set of the LM-22 and find it a very potent dry-cold/wet and slush/snow/ice combination.

The LM-50 is for when you will not see much dry or unfrozen surface.

As far as sizing, you don't have that much choice with the 17 inch wheels. You want a narrower profile, but with a short sidewall, you can't get too narrow or you risk rolling off of the bead. If you don't mind your ODO and spedo readings getting all messed up, go for a high profile narrow tire size. Go nuts and get some 195/60/17 tires and cut through the snow instead of floating ontop of it, just make sure you are not lowered.
midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

Maybe that's why my Speedo is already jacked up... I just got this STI on Saturday and it didn't have the stock rims on it, it's got something else, I'll check in a bit.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

It is the tire size and aspect that change the diameter much more than the width of your wheel.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Mr Kleen wrote:I hear nothing but good things about them but WS50s = overkill for NoVA winters. we didn't even get snow last year.
No kidding. On the other hand, if someone spits on the roads here, cars start flying of the roads. A good all season is just fine for winters here (hello Kuhmo Ecsta ASX).

When I lived in upstate NY I had some 15" Speedlines with Nokia Hakka 2's on my WRX...best winter tires ever.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm riding on Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's and I love them. they handle really well and also have great ride quality. hard to believe they're affordable all-season tires. we'll see if this winter weather season makes me regret not getting a more aggressive winter tire.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I had to drive over 18 hours through some of the worst weather I have ever been in (heavy rain, sleet and 2+ ft. of snow) on a set of Sumitomo HTR+, and never spun, slid or lost any significant amount of traction. All the while watching lots of other people slide off the road (even cops on chains) until in the end, it was just me and a handful of semis pushing through the snow. I was very impressed with how well those tires did. Granted, I've spent a fair amount of time driving in snow, and know what to do and what NOT to do.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I've personally driven through everything from blizzards to 6" of packed snow on the roads. I can easily say the WS50's are amazing tires.

Highly recommended.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Reminds me of the 80/20 rule, mebbeh more like 85/15
the LM-22s will be more than sufficient 85% of the time
The WS-50s would only be needed that 15% of the time that DC conditions exceed the ability of the other tires.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:Reminds me of the 80/20 rule, mebbeh more like 85/15
The WS-50s would only be needed that 15% of the time that DC conditions exceed the ability of the other tires.
While I agree, I'm perfectly okay with being over prepared for teh bad weather.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:
I concur. Especially, when your are driving others around.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

complacent wrote:
Agreed. Plus, most of us ski/snowboard and will come upon an occasional blizzard/white out. Honestly... I think the ContiExtremeContacts might have been better. Give me one more winter on the WS50's and I'll tell ya ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:
complacent wrote:
Agreed. Plus, most of us ski/snowboard and will come upon an occasional blizzard/white out. Honestly... I think the ContiExtremeContacts might have been better. Give me one more winter on the WS50's and I'll tell ya ;)
A dedicated snow/ice tire will always outperform any AS tire in the winter inclement weather...and sometimes when it is nice outside, too. :wink: It is just that added safety I was going for.

midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

Sabre wrote:Agreed. Plus, most of us ski/snowboard and will come upon an occasional blizzard/white out. Honestly... I think the ContiExtremeContacts might have been better. Give me one more winter on the WS50's and I'll tell ya ;)
I've got 225/45zr17 ContiExtremeContacts... that shouldn't cause my speedometer to read about 4mph off, should it?

if my speedo says 70, In actuality I'm really going like 65-66... :(
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

midnit wrote: I've got 225/45zr17 ContiExtremeContacts... that shouldn't cause my speedometer to read about 4mph off, should it?

Nope, those shouldn't throw it off. Some speedometers are off. I'd just drive whatever my speedometer said just so I don't get pulled over. If it reads a little high, no biggy :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

Sabre wrote:
midnit wrote: I've got 225/45zr17 ContiExtremeContacts... that shouldn't cause my speedometer to read about 4mph off, should it?

Nope, those shouldn't throw it off. Some speedometers are off. I'd just drive whatever my speedometer said just so I don't get pulled over. If it reads a little high, no biggy :)
Yeah, no kidding... It's not a problem with me at all, probably actually saves my ass because I like to do 10-15 over, now I'm really only doing like 5-10 over.

:rolllaugh:
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

One other thing to keep in mind is that, from the factory, most speedometers are deliberately inaccurate. Car & Driver article with supporting evidence.
Article wrote:Sorted by price, luxury cars are the least accurate, and cars costing less than $20,000 are the most accurate. By category, sports cars indicate higher speeds than sedans or trucks. Cars built in Europe exaggerate more than Japanese cars, which in turn fib more than North American ones.
Being that you drive a Japanese sports car, then it can reasonably be said that the speedometer is not entirely accurate - even with stock wheels and tires.

Most surprising find:
Article wrote:And by manufacturer, GM's domestic products are the most accurate, and BMW's are the least accurate by far.
--Alan