Dive planes: hype or not?

Make your baby look great!

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Dive planes: hype or not?

Post by avriette »

Behold the mighty dive plane:

When looking for information about them on the webbernets, I find lots and lots of dissertations and other papers from naval people on dive planes on submarines. No surprise there, I guess.

It seemed that a lot of the people at Redline last week were running them, but then there were cars that were hauling ass without them. Ross had none. Phil had ones that are only marginally bigger than the stock STI "speed nipples" or whatever you want to call them. Those evil Hankook cars had them. (and won!)

They all seem to be about the same angle. They all seem to be either single or compound, and all of them have about the same depth and length. Because of the huge disparity in aerodynamics on the front of the car, I'm inclined to believe that it's not especially effective. But then, the STI made a believer out off me when it comes to aerodynamics. Anyone got experience with and without these on the track?

Did you consider them on the tC, Ross?
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

They seem pretty small to be effective and the location is not a strong point (aka, it's more likely to bend that section in rather than provide any downforce). All this is my opinion of course and I have been wrong in the past :lol: Now front lips are a different story...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Well, I think ptuning will put them on the TC and they are "supposed" to add down force. However i would stick to a front lip/spliter for gaining real front downforce first.

there is still a lot of debate about dive planes and if they actually work well.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I always heard them called "canards" but "dive planes" sounds cooler. with their small surface area I doubt they do much for a street car, but I could be wrong.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I went to high school with a guy named Canard. He was a bit of a douche.

[/tangent]

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I would think that they would be more for vortex ceneration than anything else.

On planes, things like these help to recombine the disperate velocity flows around an object by creating a buffer layer of air to grease the other two. This helps reduce major turbulence.

Don't know if it is the same for cars.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Same reason the Evo MR's have them on the back of their cars; to reduce turbulence.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:They seem pretty small to be effective and the location is not a strong point (aka, it's more likely to bend that section in rather than provide any downforce). All this is my opinion of course and I have been wrong in the past :lol: Now front lips are a different story...
What little I have found on them in relation to cars seems to say that you trade drag for downforce in about equal quantities. But like Ross said, I think I'd trade a diffuser and splitter for dive planes any day. Even if they look cool.
rocket scientist
MrC@ptuning.com
Unicycle

Post by MrC@ptuning.com »

spazegun2213 wrote:Well, I think ptuning will put them on the TC and they are "supposed" to add down force. However i would stick to a front lip/spliter for gaining real front downforce first.

there is still a lot of debate about dive planes and if they actually work well.
Fortunately for us, we didn't have to play around with aerodynamics at summit, since our only competitor's (SVT focus) lap time was 7 seconds off of Ross' best time. That's not so say that next year, we're not going to have real competition from other shops.

I'm a big believer of diffusers, splitters, vortex generators, wings, canards and Gurney flaps. Look at the F1 cars, if they remove all those wings, the car would be sliding all over the track since the amount of power the F1 cars put out and the little that they weigh, without the massive downforce, the cars would not have any traction at all.

Traction during cornering is all about weight distribution, the more weight that's on each tire, the more traction it has--to a certain degree. Of course having a lot of downforce for cornering increases drag and reduces top speed. Having an "active" wing, that can increase downforce during cornering and decrease during fast straights would be the ideal setup. Of course, in F1, that would be called cheating.

We have a lot of time from now to the next Redline event at Summit to play around with the tC. We'll definitely be playing around with aero components to generate more downforce for cornering so that Ross can apply more power around turns. Splitters are definitely in the future as well as canards--not the simple horizontal wing, but the canards that have a horizontal wing along with a vertical wing at the end. The FWD and AWD cars both have apparent understeer, so the more downforce we can generate to keep the front wheels planted, the less understeer we'll have around turns.

Also the tC is going to need that extra downforce, when we add another 100-200whp to the equation. We'll probably send the coil-overs back to progress for a more aggressive valving along with springs that will have an extra 300lbs of spring pressure over what we're running now. The one thing that we'll loose next season is the Jet-sound under the bridge since we'll be running an unrestricted exhaust system next season. Now if only we can figure how to remove a couple hundred pounds without making it look like a gutted car :?
PTUNING.COM
9432 Center Point Lane
Manassas, VA 20110

Phone: 703-257-1728
Toll Free: 1-877-788-6464
Web: Ptuning.com
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i can't wait to see the next stage of that sick tc :popcorn:

i will miss the jet sound :cry: , but i can always replay it with crystal clarity in my head.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

MrC@ptuning.com wrote:Now if only we can figure how to remove a couple hundred pounds without making it look like a gutted car :?
replace the glass roof with CF, replace the rear windows with plexi.
now that that's solved, when do I start working for the shop full time? :wink:
MrC@ptuning.com
Unicycle

Post by MrC@ptuning.com »

Mr Kleen wrote:
MrC@ptuning.com wrote:Now if only we can figure how to remove a couple hundred pounds without making it look like a gutted car :?
replace the glass roof with CF, replace the rear windows with plexi.
now that that's solved, when do I start working for the shop full time? :wink:
We've already looked into the CF roof (Kaminari makes one for the tc)--supposedly shaves of 46lbs. We're also looking into a CF trunk, but well have to stick with glass since plexi/lexan will put us into unlimited. We have an opening for a detailer to clean up the tc after each practice session at the next event :D
PTUNING.COM
9432 Center Point Lane
Manassas, VA 20110

Phone: 703-257-1728
Toll Free: 1-877-788-6464
Web: Ptuning.com
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

MrC@ptuning.com wrote:We've already looked into the CF roof (Kaminari makes one for the tc)--supposedly shaves of 46lbs. We're also looking into a CF trunk, but well have to stick with glass since plexi/lexan will put us into unlimited. We have an opening for a detailer to clean up the tc after each practice session at the next event :D
To save additional weight, replace the steel body panels with plastic panels ala Saturn. :D

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

MrC@ptuning.com wrote:We've already looked into the CF roof (Kaminari makes one for the tc)--supposedly shaves of 46lbs. We're also looking into a CF trunk, but well have to stick with glass since plexi/lexan will put us into unlimited. We have an opening for a detailer to clean up the tc after each practice session at the next event :D
OK, so I got us half way there. :wink: how much do the side skirts weigh? can the wing be swapped for a lighter one? sounds like it's time to gut the tC...

does this detailer position come with any parts discounts? :lol: remember who kept trying to get you guys to come over for hot food and home made beer cheese at the DCAWD tent... :wink: :wink:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Option 1: Put Ross on a strict diet
Option 2: Use a horse jockey / little person
Option 3: Program the car to drive itself
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears