heat shielding? ceraimc coating??

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

heat shielding? ceraimc coating??

Post by spazegun2213 »

Ok, I figured I'd as here because I remember someone talking about this stuff last night at the HT's meet.

In my effort to improve my car without performance mod's I'm looking into coating my turbo heat shielding from the IC (as well as other bits). Someone was talking about this stuff that comes in a spray can called thermotech?? Something like that, but over all I'm just looking for information into coatings to keep the heat away from the TMIC.

thanks
-Spaze
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Damn, this topic is getting around! haha, take a look here for your answer.

As far as performance, it won't really give you any. What it *might* help though is prevention of heat soak.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

maybe i'll run my Exhuast mani uncoated on the dyno, then coat it with that stuff and run it again to see what good it does :) .

It falls under the "heat lost is power post" premises.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

It'll also prevent other items in your engine bay from melting. This is really important. :D

Which in turn means you "save" money on future repairs. I paid $250 to replace a melted axle boot. That's $250 I wouldn't have had to spend if I'd coated / wrapped my downpipe.

Now there's some debate as to whether the DP caused the melting or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt to control the heat.

--Alan
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Cool, I have researched a little, and after last night (I'll explain later) I really think i need to do something about cooling.

last night:
get home 9:00
tear the IC off at 10:30 and the thing is still really warm!!! I mean, i had to run to set it on a table so i would not melt my hands off.

So I'm looking to keep the engine cooler... and i have noticed that the Sti retains heat very well.

-Spaze

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

spazegun2213 wrote:last night:
tear the IC off at 10:30 and the thing is still really warm!!! I mean, i had to run to set it on a table so i would not melt my hands off.
See! There is your problem.... you're not driving fast enough to keep the air flowing ;) Honestly though, until you start replacing parts, I really don't see a need. You'll just end up coating parts that you don't need to worry about. There is a TON of factory heat shielding (trust me, I've ripped most of it off). As I said before, you'll prevent a little bit of heat soak, but there will be little to no gain (HP/TQ wise) from doing it. The theory that as gas gets hot, it expands and you don't want it to contract in a turbo car does hold true, but you'll be changing the cooling of the gas by so little that it won't make much of a difference. As Alan pointed out, when you get aftermarket parts (and have to loose the heat shielding), that is a great time to coat the parts.

If you're looking for a nice mod, I'd go with a downpipe. You realize a huge gain in power even on the stock computer and you can coat it ;) :lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

did I mention that I wrapped my DP?? :lol:

DP after wrap, bottom view:

DP after wrap, top view:

yeah, I'm pretty proud of it. the stock heat shields won't fit over aftermarket DPs so I followed Allan's cautionary tale and did the wrap. I sort of wish I would have gotten a turbo wrap kit as well. the Bosal UP has heat shielding welded in place already. will the heat shields around the turbo fit after installing an UP & DP?
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Cool, I have researched a little, and after last night (I'll explain later) I really think i need to do something about cooling.

last night:

So I'm looking to keep the engine cooler... and i have noticed that the Sti retains heat very well.

-Spaze

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^^ lol
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

hmm.. stupid back button.... it really has been one of those days.... wait.. weeks...

I think i need a few beers

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh, that reminds me... I need to post up about margarita night next week!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

oh... I"m so there... and I'll have to find someone to drive me.. but not in my car ;)

Gone But not forgotten
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

looks like spazegun spazed out :P