C&D review the 2008 WRX

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

C&D review the 2008 WRX

Post by Mr Kleen »

C&D review
C&D wrote: ...But we wonder how many of the WRX faithful will bother to tune this car, because it has strayed from its competition-derived roots. We suspect they will transfer their affections to the STI or other brands.

COUNTERPOINT
MORGAN SEGAL
Subaru has done a wonderful job of re-creating the Toyota Camry. Gone is the low-budget, no-frills rally car of yore, and in its place is a pleasantly sedate car your mother will love. As a WRX owner, I am a bit disappointed that the ’08 car has become soft, insulated, and rather dull. I hope the STI will uphold the WRX reputation.

BARRY WINFIELD
You can’t blame a car company for exploiting contemporary technology to improve refinement and isolation, but in the case of the new WRX, you have to consider the possibility that this car’s increased isolation and maturity are part of a deliberate brand strategy—one that makes the ’08 WRX more of an Impreza GT than it does an identifiable successor to that once-removed rally car. But fans of the old WRX need not grieve—there’s a new STI on the horizon.
both "Counterpoint" posts and the main review mention that if you want a successor the the WRX, buy an STi. my question: what if you can't afford an STi? I didn't buy a WRX because I hate Brembo brakes, active difs and HID headlights. I bought a WRX because I couldn't afford a :censor: STi!!!! :x
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The Brittish press echoed those sentiments. They did like the new rear suspension, but that added to the disconnected ness and insulated experience that is not this line's herritage.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
boomee
Tricycle

Re: C&D review the 2008 WRX

Post by boomee »

Mr Kleen wrote:both "Counterpoint" posts and the main review mention that if you want a successor the the WRX, buy an STi. my question: what if you can't afford an STi? I didn't buy a WRX because I hate Brembo brakes, active difs and HID headlights. I bought a WRX because I couldn't afford a :censor: STi!!!! :x
exactly the only thing i might like with the new sti is i might be qable to throw some things in the back but a 08 probably gonna be what at least 34 grand sheesh ill wait 5 years and get a used one for 20
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

sucks, doesn't it? i'm betting that we lose a lot of subie faithful to dsm's upcoming ralliart model.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:sucks, doesn't it? i'm betting that we lose a lot of subie faithful to dsm's upcoming ralliart model.
I absolutely concur. :cry:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Zell_06
I'm a n000b

Post by Zell_06 »

As of right now, if I had a choice I'd rather have an EVO X than what the STi is gonna look like. Kinda sad to see that happen. Even as riced out as that photochop is, it's way better than the Hatch in my opinion.
- Tony
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

I on the other hand am very interested in the new STI. Especially if they would offer it in that flat black from the spy pics.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:I on the other hand am very interested in the new STI. Especially if they would offer it in that flat black from the spy pics.
Test mules, as they are called, are typically done in flat black, and often sport additional coverings so as to render them invisible to the public. In effect though, driving a freaking black car like that anywhere will attract more attention.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

flat black makes it more difficult for photographs to pick up subtle character lines in the body work. any car plastered with black plastic and gaffers tape on the 'Ring is going to stick out. :wink:
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Yeah but it would still be awesome if they offered it in that flat black hotness.
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The funny thing is, most of the issues I hear folks have with the "new" WRX in the reviews, has to do with the suspension, and most of us that modify our rides attack that aspect almost immediately.

How many of us with WRXs are still running stock suspensions? I think it might be a minority. Does it matter if it's sprung too soft or overdampened once it's off the car?

Now, the diff, that's another matter.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

drwrx wrote:The funny thing is, most of the issues I hear folks have with the "new" WRX in the reviews, has to do with the suspension, and most of us that modify our rides attack that aspect almost immediately.

How many of us with WRXs are still running stock suspensions? I think it might be a minority. Does it matter if it's sprung too soft or overdampened once it's off the car?

Now, the diff, that's another matter.
agreed, but i imagine that since the 08's are aimed at a "wider" segment of the population (read: joe average, point-a-to-b commuter), the goal was to numb-up the ride.

sucks.
-Ben
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yeah definitely sucks but hey, you can replace it ;)
The 08 WRX Sedan LOOKS nicer at least inside, but it is certainly also bigger which in theory means more weight. The 08 WRX Hatch looks pretty hot and I am not a hatchback fan.