New parts need a new tune

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Not bad but definitely not keen on a used turbo unless the person is in the DCAWD :)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

That turbo, IMHO is not worth the trouble.
1. It has a 3" inlet which means you have to get a new turbo inlet, $230, and a that is a very difficult and time consuming install.
2. The internal waste-gate is welded shut thus requiring a modified up-pipe as well as down-pipe. Helix makes an up-pipe with an external wastegate and flange for $399, but if you want to be stealthy and legal you still have to plumb it to your down-pipe. Expect to pay another $150 for that.
3. He's asking $1,050, which is more than what Gruppe-S is going to sell him the brand-new 20G $999.

So let's do the math:
used FP Green $1,050
3" inlet hose $230
external wastegate up-pipe w/ wastgate: $399 + $150 welding to down-pipe
total: $1,829

Sorry, not a good deal in my mind. With all that is involved with that, why not just pick-up a NEW $1,350 FP Red, skip the external wastegate, save $350 and make more power?

And yes, the FP Green uses the same thrust bearing as the 20G.
The FP Green, FP Red, SZ49, SZ55, SZ60, Frank 50, Frank 60, Blouch Dominator 1 all use the TD06H-20G as their starting point from there is is just a modification of the exhaust wheel. Usually a clipped 20G or a 20G/Garrett hybrid.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

So do I get the 20G For $999 or the FP Green for $200 more?
(THey offered that today)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

That, my friend, is entirely up to you.
FP sells the Green for $1,399 and the 20G for $1,165.
Just by the numbers, $200 more for the FP Green is about what you would pay, so that's about even.

$999 for a TD06H-20G, or
$1,199 for an FP Green
Either way, it's a good deal.

Make sure it's the 8cm housing for either and that your getting the oil supply line as well.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Well I mean performance wise, is the green a little better or a lot?
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I think you would be fine and happy w/ the 20G. I think that is a good amount of power.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yeah I've just always heard the green is where it's at for non rotated.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Phibs wrote:Yeah I've just always heard the green is where it's at for non rotated.
For a 2.5l motor? Absolutely. The 20G is no slouch either... If it didn't work, there wouldn't be so many people using them.

Either snail will make you very happy with your ride. I'd almost go as far to say that you can't really go wrong.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

LOL! Ok ok is the Green worth $200 more than the non green, that is the question! I want to hit 350WHP or a little more. Does the non green spool faster or does the green just have a little more top end?

From gruppe-s:
About 15whp on good gas with the FP Green. We usually hit about 360whp with the green (or the Helix RR500) and do about 345whp with the 20G 7cm. Keep in mind the Green has a larger compressor wheel while the RR500 has an 8cm turbine.
--

hmmm so I guess being a daily and not using race gas, the 20G w/ 8cm seems the way to go?
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Phibs wrote:LOL! Ok ok is the Green worth $200 more than the non green, that is the question! I want to hit 350WHP or a little more. Does the non green spool faster or does the green just have a little more top end?

From gruppe-s:
About 15whp on good gas with the FP Green. We usually hit about 360whp with the green (or the Helix RR500) and do about 345whp with the 20G 7cm. Keep in mind the Green has a larger compressor wheel while the RR500 has an 8cm turbine.
--

hmmm so I guess being a daily and not using race gas, the 20G w/ 8cm seems the way to go?
Yes, you want the 8cm. Better top end but you get slightly slower spool. I don't think you would notice it. Lots of power. I would say just go w/ the 20G if you are itching to get the turbo on w/ a tune. Not sure how long it would take you to get the Green.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Agreed. I went ahead and said let's go with the TD06-20G.