STi BOV

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

STi BOV

Post by WANGAN_X »

evos have problems with VTA BOV's, do STi's have the same issue?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

We can go 50/50 without too many problems, but once you go 100% atmospheric, you need engine management. lol, 100% is kind of fun though, you throw a fireball between shifts ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've been thinking about getting one and doing something like a 70/30 split. bring out my inner ricer... what can I say, I love cars that make noise. 8)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:I've been thinking about getting one and doing something like a 70/30 split. bring out my inner ricer... what can I say, I love cars that make noise. 8)
Says the dude who owned a Civic Si.... ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

as I was posting that I knew somebody would bring up the fact that I used to own a Civic. :roll: I loved that car, the 2000 Si was an amazing car for $18k, and the shift action was as good as the base model 2000 Porsche 911 I drove for a day. Honda has yet to make a better Civic (but I hear one may be on the way).

[/endrant]
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

do you have idle issues, stalling? anything with 100% VTA

also what is the Mod Path for an STi, I imagine it is slightly different from a Evo
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

While idling the bov is closed so it wouldn't matter. When you slam the throttle body valve shut after putting the engine under load, the BOV vents to the atmosphere. The ECU had already calculated for that air and is expecting it to be there. You run rich between shifts, and if you have a bad base map or poor tune, that could make you stumble.

The real problem comes in when you increase your intake path with a larger volume system. There is more mass of air there that has to be ejected, and the effects are magnified.

I would believe that if the EVOs are having similar issues, then it is also running a MAF based system like the Subaru.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Zak pointed out the problems perfectly :)

Mod paths for engines in WRX/STI's are generally (properly done ;)

* Engine Management
* Exhaust
* Injectors/Fuel pump/Turbo
* Intake/Intercooler - Not really needed until high HP levels or to avoid heat soak
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

properly done huh?

didn't you get your cbe before your EMS, BTW how much boost can you run with the Hydra?

any BOV's work well with STI's?

my friend wants one

he want HKS SSQV or gReddy type s/r

i tried telling him that he doesn't need one until he gets a MBC but he wouldn't listen.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WANGAN_X wrote:properly done huh?

didn't you get your cbe before your EMS, BTW how much boost can you run with the Hydra?

any BOV's work well with STI's?

my friend wants one

he want HKS SSQV or gReddy type s/r

i tried telling him that he doesn't need one until he gets a MBC but he wouldn't listen.
I actually did DP/Headers/UP and then a few days before getting the EMS, put my catback in. I never pushed it hard with the catback in though till I had my EMS put in. I'm running 17.5PSI right now and about 94-98 IDC.

Don't ask me about the BOV, I'm still running the stock one :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

For most apps, a BOV is for show/sound. The stock ones do a perfect job. When you need to start venting double or tripple the volume at +5 to +15 PSI, you will outrun the stock BOV and get compressor surge. By that time, if you are doing things in sequence, you will already have a EM system and a TMIC or FMIC to go along with your larger turbo. That is where a 50/50 or 100% ATM BOV should be used. Only my opinion.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

zaxrex wrote:For most apps, a BOV is for show/sound. The stock ones do a perfect job. When you need to start venting double or tripple the volume at +5 to +15 PSI, you will outrun the stock BOV and get compressor surge. By that time, if you are doing things in sequence, you will already have a EM system and a TMIC or FMIC to go along with your larger turbo. That is where a 50/50 or 100% ATM BOV should be used. Only my opinion.
FMIC should be here in a few days BTW... which brings up an interesting question... How the hll do I keep the BOV as quiet as possible. I know Darrin said he had a quiet one, so I might be buying the same as he has.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI