Autoweek reviews the 08 WRX

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Autoweek reviews the 08 WRX

Post by complacent »

Linky for you.
teh article wrote:It’s refreshing to catch a glimpse of the top-mounted intercooler while looking at the functional hood scoop on the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX. So many scoops, vents and wings are purely cosmetic nowadays. That the rest of the car is as mature and functional is a bonus.

Wagon fans will notice that the wagon becomes a hatchback and goes by the term “five-door.” The change from wagon to five-door also drops 110 pounds from the curb weight, so we have no complaints. Sedans only drop 50 pounds. To simplify matters, there will be no TR model at launch, but Subaru hasn’t ruled it out for later.

An extra 3.7 inches of wheelbase (103.1 inches versus 99.4) combines with the new double-wishbone rear suspension to improve handling and interior cargo room. The sedan grows 4.5 inches longer, but the five-door comes in 6.5 inches shorter than the sedan. Framed windows make their debut and help stiffen the body as well as silencing wind noise, and back doors open 75 degrees for better access.

Subaru spent time modifying the interior, too. Rear legroom increases, and the seatback angle is more reclined for improved comfort. Slightly better materials are used all over the interior, but you’re not going to forget the WRX is based on a $17,000 car.

At first glance, the 2.5-liter boxer appears unchanged from the 2007 model. However, a more detailed analysis reveals that the 224 hp peaks at 5200 rpm and 226 lb-ft at 2800 rpm, down 400 and 800 rpm, respectively. Credit the new intake manifold, turbo and intercooler for the more accessible powerband. The engine also sits 10 mm lower in the chassis for better balance.

Because the torque curve flattened so much, the manual transmission carries several new gear ratios and now runs the same 3.90:1 final gearing as the automatic. Expect 50-to-70-mph times to drop 25 percent while fuel economy increases about 5 percent.

Die-hard WRX fans may bemoan the loss of a limited-slip rear differential, but Subaru assures us the Vehicle Dynamics Control system is a better solution because it also manages vehicle stability. The VDC manages the torque at each wheel by applying the brake when wheelspin is detected and allows for a hill-start assist in manual-transmission vehicles.

The STI edition debuts in a few months with more power and look-at-me design, and that’s what real Subaru extremists await. For the time being, WRX offers above-average performance in a less flashy package. Not a bad deal, really.
No limited-slip rear differential?!? :cry:

Also sounds like there's going to be a ton of R&D for new parts...

I'm still going to reserve judgment until I see one in person.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i'm reserving judgment until i see the sti.

i *love* the new interior design(s) though...

...and the fact that both the sedan and the 5-door will be lighter than their predecessors.
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Autoweek reviews the 08 WRX

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:Also sounds like there's going to be a ton of R&D for new parts...
There will be some, but not too much. The intake, turbo, TMIC, exhaust set-up is likely to be the same as the legacy (which the new impreza platform is based on), so there are already some existing parts available. I'm also a bit disappointed about them dropping the LSD, but the traction control may work quite well in most situations. At the track, it will be a defficit, no doubt about it. And my guess is the traction control will not be totally defeatable.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I'm also going to try to reserve my final judgment until I see the finished work. But thus far nothing I've heard bodes well from a sports car standpoint. It seems they're leaning more toward a luxury-sedan-with-a-little-more-power.
Last edited by Libra Monkee on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

This just reinforces my thought that they are further separating the WRX and the STI. I have a strange feeling that the STI is going to come out with all of the race/go fast goodies that we want.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:I have a strange feeling that the STI is going to come out with all of the race/go fast goodies that we want.
That would be my guess as well.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:I have a strange feeling that the STI is going to come out with all of the race/go fast goodies that we want.
i have a strange feeling that no matter how many "race/go fast goodies" the new STi has, we will still mod it...
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Mr Kleen wrote:
i have a strange feeling that no matter how many "race/go fast goodies" the new STi has, we will still mod it...
QFT

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

has everyone seen the new accessory catalogs http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/catalog/index.html ?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh yes, we will definitely still mod it.... :)

Hadn't seen the part catalog... and can't read it!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

thermobox wrote:has everyone seen the new accessory catalogs http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/catalog/index.html ?
not sure which I like better: "Extra item: AROMATIC" or "Drive assist package." :P

neither makes we want an '08 WRX :(