Subaru developing CVT for all models

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

from Autoblog posting

CVT transmissions definitely aren't new, but high gas prices have thrust the once unreliable continuously variable trannies back into the powertrain equation. Chrysler uses the CVT in a few of its products, Mitsubishi added the tranny to the new Lancer, and Nissan has begun using the CVT in the Altima and Sentra, among others. According to a Japanese business rag, Subaru is planning to add the gearless transmission into every model they make by 2010. The first Subie to mate a boxer engine to the CVT is rumored to be the updated 2009 Legacy, and a 2.0L diesel with a CVT may follow shortly there after. While the CVT will be available with every model, we're assuming (and hoping) that manual transmissions will be offered as well.

CVTs are usually a bit quicker off the line than automatics, but in our experience fuel economy savings are a mix bag. While the Sentra's MPG improved with the CVT, in the 2006 Ford Five Hundred, the FWD CVT version got two less MPG on the highway than the auto-equipped SEL model. As far as the driving experience goes, CVTs take a little getting used to since the transmissions keep the engine in the optimal rev range at all times and the transmission feels like it's slipping, but most drivers may never notice the difference.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I really need to check out a CVT at some point. I understand the concept and how they "work", I've just never been in one before. I wanna see how it feels. :wink:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i've driven a car with cvt.

i'll stick to rowing through gears on my own, thank you.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I drove a Civic with a CVT.... it was definitely a weird experience. I'll be very curious if they put one on the STI.... CVT's are not known to be able to handle gobs of torque well...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

complacent wrote:I really need to check out a CVT at some point. I understand the concept and how they "work", I've just never been in one before. I wanna see how it feels. :wink:
I rode in a Saturn Vue equipped with CVT. It was bizarre. Like they say, it feels like the transmission is slipping, because the needle just stays pegged at a given RPM. From what I understand though, CVTs as a whole have a torque threshold and for that reason, I think they would only work on the NA Subaru models... but I may be wrong.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I like the Freestyle's CVT. FWTW.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

complacent wrote:I really need to check out a CVT at some point. I understand the concept and how they "work", I've just never been in one before. I wanna see how it feels. :wink:
You never got a ride in the Civic Hybrid?

Yea, it is a weird feeling, at about 25mph you lean forward just a hair to compensate for the shift, and then nothing happens... The thing I found was that it isn't as quick as it should be to transition from 'optimized fuel economy rpm range' to 'optimized power rpm range', so when you stomp on it (yea, I know, Civic Hybrid and stomp on it don't go together), the lag is excessive for the 'shift', and then you wait for the squirrels to do their job.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Sabre wrote:CVT's are not known to be able to handle gobs of torque well...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

The problem is that most of the CVT transmissions depend on a belt to transfer power, and all of them have some sort of dependence on friction to transfer power from the engine to the drive shaft... if the engine is too powerful and you ask too much then friction gives up, and worst case the belt breaks.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.