Maybe I'm a little ambitious...

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Maybe I'm a little ambitious...

Post by NeoZERO »

So I went Saturday to PTuning to get a map for my 04 STi's UTEC . I'm stage II catless, and I was expecting a bit more HP than the 253 (239 tq) I was laying down on 16psi at the end of my 3.5 hour tune. Not to say I'm not happy with my map, it's a great map IMHO, but I just expected a little more... :(
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

That seems quite low actually considering:

http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?t=4558
NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Post by NeoZERO »

@ what psi though.

I really haven't had a chance to turn the boost up yet.

Funny thing happened on the way to lorton yesterday...long story short, changing back to the BPV while on the HOV after finding your RFL on the block sucks.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Maybe I'm a little ambitious...

Post by drwrx »

NeoZERO wrote:So I went Saturday to PTuning to get a map for my 04 STi's UTEC . I'm stage II catless, and I was expecting a bit more HP than the 253 (239 tq) I was laying down on 16psi at the end of my 3.5 hour tune. Not to say I'm not happy with my map, it's a great map IMHO, but I just expected a little more... :(
You need to be careful and make sure your comparing apples to apples here. These are the points I'd like to make:
1. If you were tuned on PTuning's "dyno", that will NOT correlate to the dyno chart referenced in the previous post.
2. Do you know what a stock STi puts down on PTuning's dyno? I know it's a Dyno Dynamics which reads lower than a Dynojet. Dynojets tend to read stock STI's at around 240-245whp/whp most Dyno Dynamics read about 215-220 whp/ftlbs but they are all different and no two read exactly the same.
3. What did you lay down when you came in? Did you get a baseline run and then watch to see where you came out? If you only gained a few whp/ftlbs than I can understand your frustration, however, if you gained 20-30 whp and torque you have no room to complain, those are good gains. How did your AFR's look? Do you have a chart you could post?
4. Your boost does seem a bit low. Most people with stage 2 are running around 19 psi peak and then trailing down to 14 psi at redline. If your holding 16 psi all the way that would explain why your peak whp is higher than your torque. On STI's it's usually the other way, with torque higher than hp. My FXT would only hold 17 psi with a clipped and ported vf22. The wastegate duty cycle was at 90%. I know it's not the turbo, as I've had it up to 22psi on my WRX.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Good point on the road dyno vs real dyno. What does it cost to do a run on
PTuning's dyno? Also I am hitting about 19 PSI.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

NeoZERO wrote:Funny thing happened on the way to lorton yesterday...long story short, changing back to the BPV while on the HOV after finding your RFL on the block sucks.
Adrian Cronauer wrote:Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

NeoZERO wrote:So I went Saturday to PTuning to get a map for my 04 STi's UTEC . I'm stage II catless, and I was expecting a bit more HP than the 253 (239 tq) I was laying down on 16psi at the end of my 3.5 hour tune. Not to say I'm not happy with my map, it's a great map IMHO, but I just expected a little more... :(
hmm. were you that guy who showed up around 11am w/ his girlfriend? i was there with my sti getting an alignment.
-Ben
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Mr Kleen wrote:
Adrian Cronauer wrote:Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.
what's 3 up and 3 down mean to you?

end of an inning?
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Just keep in mind there are a LOT of things that go into how far you can take a tune. How knock resistant your motor is (every motor is different), your IDC (how much head room you have in your fuel system), the temperature etc. etc.

Was there a reason they didn't up the boost any more? Maybe your IDC's were too high? Running around 19PSI would definitely give you more power, but there was probably a reason they didn't do it.

Do you have any logs for us to look at? A 4th gear run would be awesome :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Post by NeoZERO »

drwrx3. wrote: What did you lay down when you came in? Did you get a baseline run and then watch to see where you came out? If you only gained a few whp/ftlbs than I can understand your frustration, however, if you gained 20-30 whp and torque you have no room to complain, those are good gains. How did your AFR's look? Do you have a chart you could post?
4. Your boost does seem a bit low. Most people with stage 2 are running around 19 psi peak and then trailing down to 14 psi at redline. If your holding 16 psi all the way that would explain why your peak whp is higher than your torque. On STI's it's usually the other way, with torque higher than hp. My FXT would only hold 17 psi with a clipped and ported vf22. The wastegate duty cycle was at 90%. I know it's not the turbo, as I've had it up to 22psi on my WRX.

I realized their dyno will read lower than say Promotion's, something I told me before I even went in.
1) To answer your questions I was running at 218 when they first started, then they got another base. I believe they said it was at 14 psi. Don't quote me...
2) holding at 16 from almost everywhere. as aposed to holding at 7psi before 3800 then hitting over 14 psi before the tune.

I'm walking accross the street to scan my chart... give me 10 minutes.

and yea, looked at the acros after that and realized how stupid that was.
Last edited by NeoZERO on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Post by NeoZERO »

chicken n waffles wrote:
hmm. were you that guy who showed up around 11am w/ his girlfriend? i was there with my sti getting an alignment.
yep, that was me and the wifey. I thought you looked familar...
NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Post by NeoZERO »

I guess some scaling would have been nice...I love government crap. I'll upload another later. I have to get caught up on my weather stuff (job)...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Although I can't figure out what the RPM range is, those are huge gains on a tune from a base map! It looks like you gained nearly 40 whp until the very end and about 50 ftlbs of torque.

Your peak torque comes on sooner and much stronger and your maintaining a lot of it across most of your power band. You've also got some great gains in whp almost all the way to the end. With it leveling out like that and then diping off, I'd say the vf39 is just running out of breath up top.

Unless your AFRs are out of whack I would say there is nothing wrong with your tune.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Yes, 16psi of boost seems pretty conservative and your VF39 can do more reliably. The gains definitely show a huge improvement from your chart. Was the first run on the stock ECU map?
drwrx wrote:My FXT would only hold 17 psi with a clipped and ported vf22. The wastegate duty cycle was at 90%. I know it's not the turbo, as I've had it up to 22psi on my WRX.
Sorry to go OT a little.

Darrin,

Did you swap out your restrictor pill for a larger one or drill it out? I swapped my pill for an STi one and I was good running 19-20PSI w/ my VF39 on my FXT. I would try doing that...I know that was a limiting factor for most FXT when upgrading to a larger turbo. Here is a link to take a look at as well:

SCOOBYMODS RESTRICTOR PILL THREAD LINKY

Did you check for leaks as well?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Will, appreciate the link. I had thought about it but didn't get a chance before my tune was done. I could always go back and do it now, however, I'm already hitting nearly 90% IDC at 17 psi so I'm a bit worried if I go much higher than that.
NeoZERO
I'm a n000b

Post by NeoZERO »

Ok, so I was driving in to work this morning and realized the comments on the MAP PTuning created, and the Stage II from TurboXS, and they are the smae...which is 16 psi 11:1 afr...so I guess that's why they tuned it at 16psi. Wish I would have thought about that while I was there... I feel a little dumb.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

If you have a boost controller and a boost gauge you could easily turn the boost up a lb or two and still be safe as far as your AFR goes.

If your not running a boost controller you could always ask PTuning to do it for you and do a couple of pulls on the street and check your logs and see if you get any knock events. Or ask someone who has a laptop with the UTEC software to ride with you and do it.