I keep killing my brakes

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

I keep killing my brakes

Post by Cereb Daithi »

This isn't so much of a "what do I do" thread so much as just a check to see if you guys think it's the same problem I do.

The other day my front brakes started to make the most horrible sound I have ever heard them make. That all too familiar sound of metal scraping on metal.

At first I thought something was bollocksed up with the rotors since the sound seemed to "pulse". The high pitched scraping noise would go "shriek" "shriek" "shriek" "shriek" with increasing frequency in relation to my speed. It would also occasionally just seem to "stick" with a constant SHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKK. (yes i like onomatopoeia) even when i'm not touching the brakes at all. It seems to appear and disappear at random. Sometimes i can brake without hearing the sound at all and others it happens while i brake, while i pull away, and as i drive at highway speeds. I have noticed I can very temporarily stop the sound by giving the brake a quick jab. However the fix is only for about 10 seconds to one minute as the sound usually reappears quickly.

I've had pads go bad before but they only really make a dull scraping sound... however I'm thinking the pads are fooked and the pulsing I mentioned earlier can be attribuited to warped rotors scraping a higher area and then passing by.

I'm hoping this is nothing too serious.. I checked the rotors and they seem to have some shinier scrape marks in them.

Heres the kicker though. I called the subaru dealership to find out if my brakes were still under warranty. The sound apeared at around 36,050 miles. When I asked, the guy at the desk said. Your brakes are under warranty as long as you are below 36,000. I quite abruptly slapped my forehead. I then told him i was JUST over the mileage and if perhaps he could cut me a break. I know most of the employees at that place however this guy is new and played it professional and told me no. So looks like I pay full price for repairs if it's anything serious.

Anyways does this sound like pads?

EDIT: I should also mention that the night before the sound appeared.. I came over a blind crest to see a deer just standing in the middle of the road. I had to apply full braking pressure kicking in the ABS and all. Could that have been the cause of the sudden overnight brake problems?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Slapping the brakes like that could have re-seated the wear indicators or shuffled them around a bit. The pads could also have cracked and mooved around. I've had both happen.

Easy first try would be to change the pads and see if the noise goes away. If you still feel the throbbing, then you might have to get the rotors re-surfaced and bed in the pads again.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

With the roads you drive, I'll add another possibility: A small bit of rock or something has gotten between the pads and the rotors. The space in there is minimal, but there is a slight chance. Zak's seem more plausible though :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Dude, don't use my IRL name, people will stop listening to what I have to say! :lol:
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock: Oh dude, I'm SO sorry!....... hahaha
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Luckily uh... *cough* akzay was right. pads were funky. pads are now replaced and the rotors have been machined.
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

The Cobra (covert-ops name) is always right!
RJ
'13 Mazda3