Exhaust upgrade

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Exhaust upgrade

Post by Phibs »

Anyone in the Sterling area want to help install a Cobb TBE that has done a TBE install before on an STI? :) Also got a Cobb short ram as well.

ANy help appreciated!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

There might be a small install day going on in Springfield on Saturday... Not sure yet though ;) TBE's are actually pretty easy. Unbolt the downpipe from the back of the turbo and the rest is cake :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Sabre wrote:TBE's are actually pretty easy. Unbolt the downpipe from the back of the turbo and the rest is cake
*cough* bullshit *cough* (obscure scene reference?)

The 4 sore backs that followed my install might disagree with you. :) Of course, nothing had been unbolted on my car in about 5 years. Shaping up to be a good car day in springfield though if you decide to come out.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ok, I should say under "normal" circumstances.... add 15 minutes for every 15k over 20k :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Just make sure you have some PB Blaster. Preferable to spray some on the bolts the night before. That should make your life much easier the next day.

--Alan
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

A cheap Chinese electric impact gun comes in handy, too.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Word

Post by Phibs »

I am definitely down if there is an 'install day' this Saturday!

Lemme know Sabre.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:Harbor Freight FTW!!

18V for $50
14.4V for $40
14.4V for $40 (price reduced)
18V for $30

--Alan
Nah...get a corded one for real power:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=31877

Corded is just fine for occasional use.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Osiros wrote:
Sabre wrote:TBE's are actually pretty easy. Unbolt the downpipe from the back of the turbo and the rest is cake
*cough* bullshit *cough* (obscure scene reference?)

The 4 sore backs that followed my install might disagree with you. :) Of course, nothing had been unbolted on my car in about 5 years. Shaping up to be a good car day in springfield though if you decide to come out.
yeah, what he should've said was that tbe's are pretty easy if you aren't unbolting a rusty piece of shit stock exhaust first and don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get the stock O2 sensor out :wiggle: :rolllaugh: :poke: :nana: :ohsnap: :eek:
-Ben
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Yeah

Post by Phibs »

That's why I asked for help from someone who has done it ;0
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

My biggest issue with the down-pipe install is the damn stock heat sheild. Who puts 7 bolts on a friggin heat sheild? And if it has any miles on it they will be rusty and hard to remove. Soak those bastards down good before your install.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:My biggest issue with the down-pipe install is the damn stock heat sheild. Who puts 7 bolts on a friggin heat sheild? And if it has any miles on it they will be rusty and hard to remove. Soak those bastards down good before your install.
<splitting_hairs>Isn't it 10 bolts?</splitting_hairs>

*ducks*
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

complacent wrote:<splitting_hairs>Isn't it 10 bolts?</splitting_hairs>
Right after I wrote that, I was thinking that it was actually 9.

I'll check my shop manual and get back to you.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

A plan of attack

Post by zaxrex »

Take the heat shield off before you come over on Sat. It is a pain on the hands trying to do it while hot.

Spray them down while thet are warm on Thurs pm, and take them off on Fri pm. When the shield is off, spray the bolts that hold the DP on, then drive over the next morning.

I'll leave the mechanical CEL fix for the cat innef. code. If you want to use it, you will have to drill out one of the halves to fit the probe. (and leave $6 for me)
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

chicken n waffles wrote:yeah, what he should've said was that tbe's are pretty easy if you aren't unbolting a rusty piece of shit stock exhaust first and don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get the stock O2 sensor out :wiggle: :rolllaugh: :poke: :nana: :ohsnap: :eek:
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

chicken n waffles wrote: yeah, what he should've said was that tbe's are pretty easy if you aren't unbolting a rusty piece of shit stock exhaust first and don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get the stock O2 sensor out
When we replaced the O2S on the Z, we had to use a breaker bar that was 6' long. We just grabbed a piece of steel pipe we had in the garage. I'd have just used a plasma cutter (if I had had one) in hindsight. Mmmmmm, torque...
rocket scientist
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Yeah

Post by avriette »

Phibs wrote:That's why I asked for help from someone who has done it ;0
How many miles on the car, and how many winters has it had? If you've been out in the snow and salt, it could be a real bitch (and more people doesn't make bolts easier to move).

On the other hand, if it's relatively new Julian's right, it's cake.

I'm assuming you have a full set of sockets, drivers, etc...? Or was that part of the needing help?
rocket scientist
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

avriette wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote: yeah, what he should've said was that tbe's are pretty easy if you aren't unbolting a rusty piece of shit stock exhaust first and don't have to spend 3 hours trying to get the stock O2 sensor out
When we replaced the O2S on the Z, we had to use a breaker bar that was 6' long. We just grabbed a piece of steel pipe we had in the garage. I'd have just used a plasma cutter (if I had had one) in hindsight. Mmmmmm, torque...
well colin torched it for a minute but that sucker was seriously "in there." we wanted to reuse it in the new exhaust so we weren't trying to destroy it ;).
-Ben
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Ok did the COBB short ram intake, COBB TBE, and put my dang summer tires back on last night. It took awhile. I have pictures and will post later.

Notes:

Heat shield: Subaru, I hate you, too many friggin bolts.
O2 Sensor: Screwed in there DAMN tight, hard to get out even w/ pb.
Exhaust donut: Hate you.... hate you hate you.
Removal of Intercooler: WTF?
Lack of decent jack points: Again, Subaru, I hate you.

New sound: love it

Questions:
* Is it normal to hear wooshing sounds around 2500-3000 RPM when I hit the gas now?

* I put 2 new tires on the right side of the car ( damn curb ) and the left side tires are slightly more worn. When I floor it the car pulls to the right a bit, is this normal in that situation and will it go away?

* ANy cobb AP experts? I can't get mine to unflash so I can firmware upgrade it. Does the test wire have to be connected to reflash?
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Ok answering my own post, ya'll are slow!!!
After connecting the test wire the AP uninstalled fine.

As promised, pictures:

http://www.bsd-unix.net/gallery/v/dcawd/MySTI/Install/
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Phibs wrote: * I put 2 new tires on the right side of the car ( damn curb ) and the left side tires are slightly more worn. When I floor it the car pulls to the right a bit, is this normal in that situation and will it go away?
you really need to try to keep your tires symmetrical at all four corners otherwise you put undue stress on the diffs. in fact, one of the things that don beyer sees most with STIs is diffs that are hosed after the owner didn't rotate their tires.
rocket scientist
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

No choice really, after the SSRs trashed my tires on the right side I ordered new SSRs and tires to be safe. Already had to spend more than I wanted to.

Don Beyer wtf?
Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Phibs wrote:Ok did the COBB short ram intake, COBB TBE, and put my dang summer tires back on last night. It took awhile. I have pictures and will post later.

Notes:

Heat shield: Subaru, I hate you, too many friggin bolts.
O2 Sensor: Screwed in there DAMN tight, hard to get out even w/ pb.
Exhaust donut: Hate you.... hate you hate you.
Removal of Intercooler: WTF?
Lack of decent jack points: Again, Subaru, I hate you.

New sound: love it

Questions:
* Is it normal to hear wooshing sounds around 2500-3000 RPM when I hit the gas now?

* I put 2 new tires on the right side of the car ( damn curb ) and the left side tires are slightly more worn. When I floor it the car pulls to the right a bit, is this normal in that situation and will it go away?

* ANy cobb AP experts? I can't get mine to unflash so I can firmware upgrade it. Does the test wire have to be connected to reflash?
Answers to questions:

Wooshing sound: Yup. Tasty, isn't it? Want more? Pull your intake silencer.

Tires: See Avriette's post. Symetrical tires is important with AWD.

AP: Any time you're flashing the actual ECU (base map, not real time) that test connector has to be hooked up. It's a pain, but once you go to the newest firmware you won't have to uninstall the AP when you want to upgrade the firmware.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yes the wooshing sound rules and there is no silencer anymore ;0

As for the tires, I really dunno what I can do :(

Do I have any options besides replacing all 4 ?
Last edited by Phibs on Sat May 05, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.