Been driving a 2007 Legacy 2.5 NA

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Been driving a 2007 Legacy 2.5 NA

Post by avriette »

For reasons I'll explain in a later post, I've been in a Legacy sedan since Friday. I've put about 200 miles on it. It's got 2,200 miles on it, so it's still pretty new. It's got the 2.5 NA motor, and a slushbox with a manu-shift (which is crap) and a sport mode (which is better), in which it picks its own gears and holds them longer (e.g., it will hold 4,500 rpm for a few seconds longer, and it will run up to 6,750 rpm).

My initial impression is actually pretty good. When I first sat in one of these cars, a year or two ago, I didn't think I'd fit (I'm 6'5"). The problem was primarily headroom. The reason I fit into the STI better is there's actually less seat between the top of my head and the bottom of my, uh, bottom. The Recaros are just thinner in the pan. So when you switch to the Legacy's heated, power seats, there's just less room. However, some careful adjustment gets me into the car with not much more difficulty than I have getting into the STI.

I have a sunroof! And heated seats! And two-zone climate controls! And the cabin is 3-4" wider, so Sandy and I can both have our arms on the arm rest. This is just sooo nice after being in the STI for a year.

The stereo is also nicer. It always pissed me off that I couldn't get a nicer stereo in the STI (and that is one of the reasons I look at the BMWs – I can get a really fast car that has a nice stereo). The STI is flat and tinny. The Legacy is a lot richer. It helps, of course, that the Legacy has the stock exhaust. However, I think it also has more sound deadening.

Handling wise, it's kind of weird. It handles a little bit like a drive-by-wire Mercedes. I feel like there's a little delay between my steering input and the car actually moving. It's of course very swoopy, and rolls and sways in turns about like you'd expect a family car to. However, it still holds the road pretty well, and with a proper set of tires, and maybe a new set of sways, it would be in much better shape. I've been cautiously pushing it, to see what it will do. It's just really hard to test the suspension with the crap tires that are on the car. It feels like it will do quite a bit better on the suspension alone, as I can't even power into turns without losing the front wheels (so, it's understeer, not neutral-tending-to-understeer, and of course there's no DCCD). Overall, I'm actually pleased with it. I think it has a lot of potential as far as the chassis goes. It's got alloy wheels and reasonable brakes (although they fade very quickly. One or two stops, and it's done).

As far as power goes, this has been interesting. The transmission kind of gets in the way of objectively measuring it because you can't really decide what gear you want to be in, and just hold it. On Akina, the STI is generally doing 110-115mph on the uphill and 85-90mph on the downhill. The Legacy can't get above 85-90mph on the uphill, and on the downhill it's about 65-70mph primarily limited by the tires letting go (lots more weight on the front end, it starts to plow, badly), and subsequently by the fact the brakes can't hold the car very well in the chute. It's certainly more than adequate for simple driving around, and has enough power to pass when required. However, I can't help but think it would be a lot more manageable in the Spec B trim, which is, what a 30% increase in power, roughly? I'd be a lot more comfortable pulling onto the freeway, handling tricky merges, etc. if it were just that little bit more powerful.

I find myself wondering whether that 3.0R model would be more fun than the Spec B. I also recalled hearing about a "Legacy STI" in Japan (which was actually mentioned today). Unfortunately, it's not quite what I expected (either a 3.0 turbo or an STI mill). We'd been thinking a Legacy would be a good car for Taipei (it's about the biggest thing you want to drive there), but it turns out in Taipei, they sell a 2.0 R. I assume this is the EJ20 tuned to 240 or so hp, but I don't read enough Chinese to get detailed specs.

Lastly, I am very pleased with the e-brake in the Legacy. It's in just the right place, it's easy to engage and release, and with the chassis being so swoopy, it's hardly necessary to even use the steering wheel to go around turns. It is just so pitchable. :D

Subaru, bring on the 350-400hp 3L turbo motors. I wants me a Legacy 3.0 STI-R Wagon. Or whatever they want to call it. Unf.

And so comfy!! And sunroof! On gorgeous days!! Sunroooooof!!
rocket scientist
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Been driving a 2007 Legacy 2.5 NA

Post by sirwilliam »

avriette wrote:The stereo is also nicer. It always pissed me off that I couldn't get a nicer stereo in the STI (and that is one of the reasons I look at the BMWs – I can get a really fast car that has a nice stereo). The STI is flat and tinny. The Legacy is a lot richer. It helps, of course, that the Legacy has the stock exhaust. However, I think it also has more sound deadening.
Aftermarket is your friend!!!
avriette wrote:Subaru, bring on the 350-400hp 3L turbo motors. I wants me a Legacy 3.0 STI-R Wagon. Or whatever they want to call it. Unf.
You mean bring on the 450hp 3.6L Turbo!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

avriette wrote: Subaru, bring on the 350-400hp 3L turbo motors. I wants me a Legacy 3.0 STI-R Wagon. Or whatever they want to call it. Unf.

VERY nice write up Alex!

I agree with Will on this one, turbo that new 3.6 in the Tribeca :) AVCS on intake and exhaust will work wonders. That could easily push a GT40/42 with the right internals :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:
avriette wrote: Subaru, bring on the 350-400hp 3L turbo motors. I wants me a Legacy 3.0 STI-R Wagon. Or whatever they want to call it. Unf.

VERY nice write up Alex!

I agree with Will on this one, turbo that new 3.6 in the Tribeca :) AVCS on intake and exhaust will work wonders. That could easily push a GT40/42 with the right internals :)
I wish subaru would just start putting out twinscrolls here in the states. That would be the best choice. Good power-band all the way up w/ almost no lag FTW!!!!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

avriette wrote: Handling wise, it's kind of weird. It handles a little bit like a drive-by-wire Mercedes. I feel like there's a little delay between my steering input and the car actually moving.
Duhr, I bet I know what this is. I've been pushing the poor thing about as hard as I can without hurting it, and today I realized I had to turn the wheel further to get the car to move as I expect the STI to. I bet it's a different steering ratio.
rocket scientist