2005 STI front strut brace

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

2005 STI front strut brace

Post by Phibs »

Anyone have a recommendation for a front upper strut brace?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ebay :) IMHO, they don't do too much, but it's enough if you get it cheap enough :P
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:ebay :) IMHO, they don't do too much, but it's enough if you get it cheap enough :P
Julian's right, STBs are usually for looks these days. I'll add a caveat that I've noticed substantial improvement on cars that were not pre-tuned well for the track (the old SS neons had terrible suspension, but once you got Konis or Tokicos in them, some good rubber, and the appropriate struts/sways, things got real interesting). You can of course also fab one. They're pretty simple devices.

Litchfield makes one of the fastest STIs on asphalt (http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk), and they don't seem to offer one. Can you elaborate on what you're looking for? If you are having a lot of roll or (not enough) yaw, it might be due to another suspension piece being iffy (including wheels/tires). While the suspension in the STI isn't perfect, it is pretty durned good. Unless you're tracking the car, it's unlikely that it needs much help.

I doubt there's consensus on which brand is best, but I have never heard anything bad about whiteline, and one of our users is a dealer (hotsam). Even Mike Kojima likes their gear, and he's a picky dude when it comes to these cars.

http://tinyurl.com/2twjpy (link goes to froogle, has what you want)
rocket scientist
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

avriette wrote:
Sabre wrote:ebay :) IMHO, they don't do too much, but it's enough if you get it cheap enough :P
Julian's right, STBs are usually for looks these days.
I was thinking about this some more today and it occurs to me that it's probably not a great idea to add an STB to an STI. It's almost certainly a recipe for wicked understeer, which is not something anybody wants.
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

FYI, I have one... but only b/c I picked it up for $30... I didn't notice a bit of difference... but that I was early on and I might notice more now. What did make a BIG difference is a rear sway.... I'm still adjusting it to get it where I want :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.