New Hydra coming out soon...

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

New Hydra coming out soon...

Post by Sabre »

Snippets:
This Hydra has vast hardware changes over the current 2.5 but it will still be release as a 2.5 Hydra. This is the one to have as it will have all the latest hardware for the upcoming Nemesis 2.6 but without the extra cost. The official Nemesis 2.6 will have a new case, new software features but this next version will be able to run that software since the hardware will be the same. I personally could care less about the case as it's hidden under the carpet anyway

For all practical purposes however the system will start, run, and tune the same as the current 2.5 but it has been designed to handle future applications, wider DBW parameters, and future engine features.

Thanks,
Phil

The Nemesis 2.5 has been on the market since April 2006 and remained relatively unchanged until now. From a user standpoint there will be very little difference. The hardware change was mostly to accommodate wider ranges in DBW throttles for various models and to deal with CAN.

To clear a few things up:

Element 2.5 STI Hydras had 3 processors, not 2 like the WRX/RS units due to drive by wire.

Element 2.6 STI Hydras have 4 processors with a new processor dedicated to CAN.

Think of this as having one large turbocharger or two smaller turbochargers. They will likely make the same power but two small turbochargers will get you there quicker

Thanks,
Phil
www.elementtuning.com
The data provided is sometimes vague or dated. Even the Nemesis 2.0 for the STI had 3 processors, 2 for most ecu control, and 1 dedicated for drive by wire throttle.

CAN stands for Controller Area Network.

"The automotive industry uses CAN as the in-vehicle network (IVN) for the engine management, the body electronics like door and roof control, air conditioning, and lightning, as well as for the entertainment control. The majority of the European carmakers use CAN-based IVNs. The American and the Far East passenger car manufacturers have also started implementing CAN-based IVNs.

CAN networks used in engine management connect several electronic control units (ECUs). Most of the European automobile manufacturers have also installed CAN high-speed networks (e.g. 500 kbit/s) in their power-engine systems.
In addition, most of the European passenger cars are equipped with CAN-based multiplex systems connecting body electronic ECUs. These multiplex networks link door and roof control units as well as lighting control units and seat control units. They run at lower data-rates, e.g. 125 kbit/s. Many of them use fault-tolerant transceivers compliant with ISO 11898-3. In North America, single-wire CAN networks are also used in body electronics.

In some passenger cars implement a CAN-based diagnostic interface. This interface may be based on the ISO 15765 standard (Diagnostics on CAN) describing physical-layer, transport-layer, application-layer, and how to use the Keyword 2000 diagnostic services.

Another application of CAN-based networks in passenger cars is to connect infotainment devices. There are some proprietary solutions, but also the IDB-C network. The SAE defined the IDB-C application profile in the ITS Data Bus series of specifications (SAE J2366). IDB-C is based on high-speed CAN (29-bit identifiers) with a baud-rate of 250 kbit/s.
The different CAN-based IVNs are connected via gateways. In many system designs, the gateway functionality is implemented in the dashboard. The dashboard itself may equipped with a local CAN network connecting the different displays and instruments." CAN-CIA.org

Many Subarus already have CAN systems in place.

Thanks,
Phil
www.elementtuning.com
The latest Hydras will support USB...sort of At this point the reliability and performance of the USB setup is not up to par and that's why it will not be released at this time. The serial port is still the industry standard for EMS applications but trust me as soon as the USB is up to par we'll switch.

:bling:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That's pretty cool. I reeeeely wish they were able to build-in some sort of OBDII compliance. Then everyone would have no reason to run anything else.

I gotta be honest, the Hydra is clearly a bad mofo when it comes to tuning, but the lack of OBDII support is what made me go with a UTEC instead.

That being said, I'm glad to see Phil & Co. are continually improving upon an already fantastic product.

:nana:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz