that noise at high speed

Make your baby look great!

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

that noise at high speed

Post by avriette »

I'd asked a few people what the noise was at > 100mph. It starts around 100-110mph and gets louder all the way up to 160, when it's deafening. Turns out, it's the mirrors. Julian had suggested this ("just fold your mirrors in when you want to go 150"). Does anyone make aftermarket mirrors with smaller profiles? Not that I spend all that much time above 110mph, mind.

We verified this by weaving the car around a bit at Ebisu. Straight line at 100, it was fine. Cant a few degrees to the right or left, and the noise would "move" from one mirror to the other, getting louder with speed.

At least it's not rearend noise. That's what really worried me.

Wondering if it's worth it to try to get that to quiet down (you know, it would be nice to be able to hear the motor, the gearbox, etc, at speed, rather than just the howling mirrors).
rocket scientist
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Re: that noise at high speed

Post by spazegun2213 »

avriette wrote:I'd asked a few people what the noise was at > 100mph. It starts around 100-110mph and gets louder all the way up to 160, when it's deafening. Turns out, it's the mirrors. Julian had suggested this ("just fold your mirrors in when you want to go 150"). Does anyone make aftermarket mirrors with smaller profiles? Not that I spend all that much time above 110mph, mind.

We verified this by weaving the car around a bit at Ebisu. Straight line at 100, it was fine. Cant a few degrees to the right or left, and the noise would "move" from one mirror to the other, getting louder with speed.

At least it's not rearend noise. That's what really worried me.

Wondering if it's worth it to try to get that to quiet down (you know, it would be nice to be able to hear the motor, the gearbox, etc, at speed, rather than just the howling mirrors).
1) I dont even want to know where you were doing 160
2) also if your car is stock i think its limited to 147, so your speedo lies ;)
3) APR make mirrors, and there are other places, but the stockers are still the biggest and best for street cars IMO
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

160mph?!? on a track, or in Montana (on a clear day, with no traffic)?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Told ya it was the mirrors ;)

I haven't seen any replacement mirrors, but I'll keep my eyes peeled!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

There are these (the APRs) which I think are overpriced for what they are and don't look as cool.

Then you have all of these which cost just much but look a little better.

Finally, there are four more choices at the top of this page.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: that noise at high speed

Post by avriette »

spazegun2213 wrote: 1) I dont even want to know where you were doing 160
Uhm, Ebisu.
2) also if your car is stock i think its limited to 147, so your speedo lies ;)
Negative. Top o' sixth is... Julian posted the spreadsheet. It's about 180mph. I assure you, the limiter doesn't exist. At least on the 2006 STI in question. It was black. The only limiter on the car at 155-160mph is nerve as it's dangerously close to redline. I've never edged up to redline at that kind of speed, but I suspect it wouldn't be pretty to have that dramatic a weight transfer. Something like the MSD soft-limiters might be in order. But I (edit: have NOT) pushed the top end like that since I was in California (which has an overabundance of very long, very flat, very straight, abandoned roads).

And, consider that the only way the car knows how fast it is, is derived from the gearing times engine rpm, times tire circumference. So, if your speedo lies, there's no way for your ECU to be "more correct" and cut you off at 145 when your speedo reads 160. That having been said, I think the speedometer is a little optimistic, but 146mph is 9% lower than 160mph. It's hard to believe the speedometer would be off 9% at any speed.
3) APR make mirrors, and there are other places, but the stockers are still the biggest and best for street cars IMO
Yeah, I think it's kind of silly to change the mirrors for that. The noise is irritating, but I would find tiny mirrors (such as there are on the Z) to be much more irritating. I would bet mounting em on the fenders would reduce the noise in the cabin, but it would look silly on a Subaru.
rocket scientist