The Mod List

Looking for something? Throw it in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

The Mod List

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Alright. Time has come to finally get the RS geared up to the optimal specs. I've been slowly acquiring pieces but now it's time to act. I want to get the RS looking and sounding the way I want it to.

Heres the deal. I did the math and everything for the whole "big makeover" will be a little under $1300.... this is not bad at all in my mind. Here is the list

Stromung Dual Tip Axle Back $439
Stromung 2.5" Center Pipe $199
CAI (dont know what brand yet) (no price yet)
Cleared Headlights (the cost of a few bulbs...)
ATI center gague pod $120
3 Prosport gauges (red) $115 (Probaly voltage, oil pressure, and oil temp. I know many of you don't like excessive gauges however I dont trust idiot lights and my old LTD had a bunch of gagues running the whole way into the passenger seat.... i actually really enjoyed knowing what was up with the car instead of looking at a dash with no lights on and going "well i guess everything is ok")
Dash/HVAC/Radio/Keyring color change (red) (cost of bulbs)
Scoop mesh/cover $10 at home depot ftw
STi Corner Splitters (already own just need to mount) $100 (totally guessing)
Install MadDad springs (already own just need to mount) $150 (totally guessing)
RS foglight decals (custom made... no idea)
LED Interior Lights $50

I also hope to eventually add a HFC, Borla headers, and PIAA lights into the mix, but for now I'm just going to stick with that list.

Basically I'll be selling all my posessions from when i was younger that I dont use anymore to fund this.

Does anyone know where I could cut save money via any special deals/sales from certain vendors? I already spoke to HotSam and got some prices for the Stromung goods
Last edited by Cereb Daithi on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

List out the prices of the stuff if you can and we'll see if we can find better deals :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

edited with prices... kinda vague. most i just gave it a healthy possibly overpriced guess....
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

looks like a pretty good list. will a cai on the n/a 2.5 really net you any hp, though? given, i haven't researched the n/a engine much, but also look into a short ram intake. might be a bit less $ with similar performance (and sound), plus... no risk of hydrolocking! :eek:

also, i know how you can save $50... don't buy LED interior lights! :poke: :eek: :puke: :leaving:
-Ben
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

yeah the CAI is still very much up in the air. It's alot of money for something that noone ever really sees and that might not give me any sort of power gain.

and yeah the interior lights are only if i have spare cas....wait....gears of war is out... nevermind those lights

(and actually thank you for talking some sense into me... i just realized my dome light is in the permanant "off" position.... i only turn it on if i absolutely positively have to... no need for a brighter whiter light)
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

change of plans (partially) i keep reading nightmare stores about chaning the gague cluster color... i think ill just track down an 05 STi gague cluster and use that.

I have the 4EAT GD6 however.... how much of a problem will this be?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Since the spedo sensor goes off your transmission and not a wheel, the higher final drive of your EAT might skew the readings as the display is probably calibrated for the 6SPD.

Also the STi has a few more indicators in the instrument cluster. I don't know if not having those hooked up will keep the display from doing the happy dance when you start the car.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
cheshirecat
Unicycle

Post by cheshirecat »

I know the guage cluster swaps in a 5mt just fine....I'm sure you can find out on nasioc...

course I hate the 5 million different opinions you tend to get on there....
Brandon

05 WRX STI
03 WRX Wagon

Racing, because all other sports require only 1 ball.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

yeah i can garuntee at least 4 types of posts

lets see if i can nail them
I havent done this myself but i had a buddy that did it and it went totally fine! should be no problem! good luck!
It will never work! it'll be alot of work and it will never work well.
haha idiot. why would you want to put an STi cluster in a friggn RS. LOLz just buy an STi if you want that cluster! newb
get rid of the automatic.

so yeah i dont really need to post on nasioc.... i already know the answers i will get haha...

oh well i shall do it anyways. we will find out
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:lol2: It's funny because it's true!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

no responses at ALL yet. could i have stumped teh nabisco??
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: The Mod List

Post by Sabre »

Cereb Daithi wrote: Stromung Dual Tip Axle Back $439
Stromung 2.5" Center Pipe $199
Replace the above two items for either the $579 deal or pay $10 more for a 3" pipe :) These are made for the WRX, but I think this section of your exhaust is the same:
http://www.boxer4racing.com/exhaustw.htm
:)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

3" pipe on a NA 4EAT engine? are you TRYING to kill sir-boxer? haha dont forget back pressure is important to me...

that $579 deal looks good! however i have to think about shipping. i could drive down and meet you guys and pick up this exhaust from hotsam.. or i could ship it form this site.. (or i could ship it from DC)... wonder what would be cheapest...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sorry, I haven't thought NA in a long time... ;) Good point about the back pressure!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

spend your money on driver education (NASA HPDE or any local autocross sponsored training events) and maybe a set of high quality brake pads.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

cheshirecat wrote:I know the guage cluster swaps in a 5mt just fine....
This baby's got the Auto 4-speed. Tad bit O' difference.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Cereb Daithi wrote:3" pipe on a NA 4EAT engine? are you TRYING to kill sir-boxer? haha dont forget back pressure is important to me...

that $579 deal looks good! however i have to think about shipping. i could drive down and meet you guys and pick up this exhaust from hotsam.. or i could ship it form this site.. (or i could ship it from DC)... wonder what would be cheapest...
make a 2-day trip out of it. drive down, meet dcawd, drink... alot, idp w/ unsuspecting female victim at the bar, pick up parts and drive back home.
-Ben
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

well the interior is probably the first mod.

did a bit of photoshopping... here is how it would look if all goes according to plan

HVAC changed color as well... trouble is i cant see any way to change the actual radio display from green... is there any easy(ish) way to do this?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Cereb Daithi wrote:... trouble is i cant see any way to change the actual radio display from green... is there any easy(ish) way to do this?
not sure how eazy it is, but there is a way. read it on you know where a long time ago.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

another thought as i look for ways to make the final cost tally less painful... i have heard of people putting STi axlebacks on their RS's with various midpipes.... and they actually sound pretty good. noone would be getting rid of any STi exhausts now would they?
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

haha sorry if this thread is getting annoyingly long with questions...but im making a change on the list and will be buying borla un-equal length headers.... new/used doesnt matter to me nor does original/replica.. as long as they work, are sturdy, and wont kill anything on my car... i dont care. i couldnt find anything on eBay so are there any vendors i should look into that sell what i'm looking for

EDIT:

found this on eBay..

This

and

This

are the "highflow" headers really any different or is that just marketing from the guys selling trying to make it osund more "sporty". i'd rather buy from somewhere else so if anyone could point me int he right direction it'd be appreciated.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Naa, just one poster is posting it different than the other... they are both the same part number ;) Pretty much any aftermarket headers that you buy are going to be higher flow.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

are headers worth the money and major PITA for an NA Impreza? only you, your knuckles and your creditors can answer that...

I promise this is the last time I'll bring it up (in this thread :wink: ): spend your money upgrading yourself. attend a NASA HPDE1 and/or an SCCA autoX clinic.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

pretty much any RS out there that has any sort of modification has headers. the sound you can get out an NA engine is truly worthy of the boxer rumble gods.

haha i'll take that under advisement about upgrading myself. i've just been wanting to get this setup since i got my impreza. since i cant really afford an STi (the payments i could probably make... but the insurance at my age and the gas is a different story) this is kind of the best i have and i want to make it into something i can be proud of. part of me is hoping common sense slaps me in the face and i can put all the money into something more worthwhile. only time will tell i suppose. damn this "itch"
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Cereb Daithi wrote:pretty much any RS out there that has any sort of modification has headers. the sound you can get out an NA engine is truly worthy of the boxer rumble gods.
you don't need headers to get the boxer rumble, an axle-back will suffice. I know from experience. :wink:
Cereb Daithi wrote:this is kind of the best i have and i want to make it into something i can be proud of.
as a former owner of a 1985 Dodge Charger w/automatic, I can safely say you already have something to be proud of. :wink: :wink: