Upgraded Rotors on STI 05

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Upgraded Rotors on STI 05

Post by Tom Sullivan »

alright, question.

I really like the gran turismo brake kit from brembo.

Now, on the sti, the calipers are already very well made from brembo and race ready, i would really only like to acquire the rotors from the gran turismo kit with the aluminum center hats. Will they fit as a direct replacement for the oem 05 sti rotors?
2005 WR Blue WRX STI, Gold BBS Rims (with Curb rash...arghh!!!)
Ground Wire Mod (custom baby!!!)
K&N typhoon Shorty Intake
Cusco Sway Bars and Front Strut Brace
Pe
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Re: Upgraded Rotors on STI 05

Post by ButtDyno »

Tom Sullivan wrote:alright, question.

I really like the gran turismo brake kit from brembo.

Now, on the sti, the calipers are already very well made from brembo and race ready, i would really only like to acquire the rotors from the gran turismo kit with the aluminum center hats. Will they fit as a direct replacement for the oem 05 sti rotors?
What are you going to use the car for?

It's not your calipers that need to be "race ready" as much as your pads and fluid (maybe to a lesser extent rotors).

If you have no problem with the stock brakes I wouldn't bother touching any of it (unless you are doing track events)

john
Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Post by Tom Sullivan »

well, like i said, the calipers are already good to go on the sti. no need to replace them.

I plan on going to porterfeld or hawk pads and some sort of high per fluid (anyone know where I can get a good deals on these, and recommendations?)

But the GT rotors with center hats weigh in at 5 pounds less then the stock brembo rotors on the sti, thats ALOT of unsprung weight savings.
Pe
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

OG Racing up in Chantilly has ATE Super Blue/Yellow fluid. DOT 5 fluid with a much higher boiling point. I've been using it for a number of years now with no ill effects. Car saw auto-x and track time with nothing bad happening.

Your best bet on finding if the GT kit will fit would be to just compare the measurements of the kit to the stockers. If that info is not available, call the vendor and ask them. If they don't know, see if you can work a deal to purchase a set to find out for the good of all scooby kind.

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Believe it or not, but Valvoline DOT 5 fluid is very good.
martin_thespeedfactor
I'm a n000b

Post by martin_thespeedfactor »

We have had very good success with the Hawk HPS Pads and we love the ATE Super Blue. It's the only fluid we use in the shop.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

ARRISE!!!! I AM THE THREAD THAT WILL NOT DIE.... :rolllaugh: for a minute I thought Tom was back. :wink:

I use SuperBlue myself. good stuff and didn't cost much either.
Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Post by Tom Sullivan »

who said i wasnt back?

hehehe, i still lurk here, just have to catch me.

im going to try and make it out to a club meeting soon.

life hit the shitter for me past few months, and finally im back on my feet and employed.

Working at Loral Skynet at their Noc as a controller. Love the money, good job, and no more life worries.....for now.
Pe
Tom Sullivan
I'm a n000b

Post by Tom Sullivan »

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30353
This link at iwsti.com takes you to a thread where a group buy was initiated to have thebrakeman rotors made and bought on limited run.

They are more expensive but their weight is crazy light and they hold up to anything you throw at them. i did some research on my own and confirmed that thebrakeman is sponsoring some sprint cars in the circuit and that they are very awesome products with certified engineering and documented research put into their products. Once i save up some money, i believe i will upgrade to these rotors and his pads too.
Pe
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

glad you're "back" and that the pendulum of live is starting to swing back in your direction. 8)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hey Tom! Glad to see that you are back in the swing of things! Also, thanks for posting that link. Those are expensive as hell, but if I were building a track bitch, I'd definitely put them on :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.