2008 STI...

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Umm... Maybe you can explain how that pic is related to the new 2008 STI. If it's a play on words then clearly it's gone over my head.

--Alan
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:Umm... Maybe you can explain how that pic is related to the new 2008 STI. If it's a play on words then clearly it's gone over my head.

--Alan
just gotta get rid of those altezza tails Evil or Very Mad , but that's a minor aesthetic gripe.
That sir, is a Dremel, combined with Duct tape it is a lethal modification tool.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Full test 2008 STI
Video
The STi has grown up, you should too.
NEVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

That pretty much mimics every article I have read on the new STi (and WRX as well), less edgy, but a better car.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Okay, so I was reading the small/brief article in the new R&T on the STi yesterday at is says larger TMIC w/ twinscroll...is this true? TS on the USDM model and the JDM?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

WWPSD
:rolllaugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

What Would Picard Son Do? lol
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

What Would Patrick Swayze Do? HAHAHA...is that guy still around? Seems like after Dingy Dancing he fell off the map.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I have to admit, I wish the car was as agressive looking as this: Link 1, link 2
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:I have to admit, I wish the car was as agressive looking as this: Link 1, link 2
Never too late to get a body kit :wink:

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Kind of hard to mod it to a 2-door though ;) Don't get me wrong though, I love having 4 doors.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:Kind of hard to mod it to a 2-door though ;) Don't get me wrong though, I love having 4 doors.
So all you were saying before by posting those two links is that the two door is more aggressive than the four door? You can still use the body kit, its just that there will be 2 more doors :wink:

chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

street test for the 08 sti w/ perrin exhaust. sounds sexeh.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0libqva404A
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Gotta love that rumble.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Full road test of the STI on Car & Driver online.

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

A couple of things to note:

The STI does roll a bit more through corners and kowtow slightly deeper when beckoned by the earnest Brembos, which halt it from 70 mph in a curt 159 feet. Plus, the STI has quick but rather lifeless steering for managing the early onset understeer that seems inevitable with a 58.3-percent front weight bias and all-wheel drive. Tire scrub speaks more clearly to the ears than the palms...

Project manager Hiroshi Mori says the 2.5-liter cast aluminum flat-four retains its old AJ25 designation despite new cylinder heads and a revised block with extra ribbing to make it stiffer... Note: Ribbing always makes things better!

The nitride-hardened crank is carry-over from the earlier STI, and the deeper-webbed rods and the forged pistons are new part numbers, says Mori. An IHI-sourced single-scroll turbo peaks at 14.7 psi of boost, 2.8 psi higher than in the WRX. Variable timing mechanisms adjust the intake and exhaust cams with a tune aimed at a flatter torque curve. The increase from 293 horsepower in the old STI to 305 is mainly due to the larger intercooler and higher-volume exhaust silencer and lower-restriction catalyst, according to Mori. The torque peak of 290 pound-feet has not changed from last year’s, but it does occur 400 rpm sooner (4000 rpm). A lower redline (6700 rpm instead of 7000) is the only negative...

Governing torque side to side are conventional helical-type limited-slip differentials on both axles. An electronic brake-based traction-control and anti-yaw system also assists when the road turns to butter.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Sabre wrote:
The STI does roll a bit more through corners .
I'm sure having a roof thats 2" higher off the ground doesn't help either.

2007 STI
56.3 "

2008 STI
58.1 "
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

Spotted 08 sti today.

Woodbridge, Potomac mills area.
Parked at fridays, near mcdonalds and best buy.

Silver w/ black windows.

-scheherazade
chicken n waffles

yeah. we saw a gray one at the d&b meet last week. much sexier in person than in pics. i even liked the stock 5-spoke wheels in person (hate the pics). the stock exhaust note is meh at best. the stock stance is much improved over previous years. i didn't get a chance to sit in it but those were my first few initial impressions.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Not all of you youngins will remember, but Bo (Serendipity) picked up a grey/bbs/nav 08 the other day. I can't wait to see it.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile! lol, he probably won't bring it out to a meet in fear of loosing another rim!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
chicken n waffles

Sabre wrote:Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile! lol, he probably won't bring it out to a meet in fear of loosing another rim!
perhaps that was his problem in the first place!!!!

you know... because it's loose. the opposite of tight. aaaaand i'm spent.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Gerrrr. I'm sick you bastard! :lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

The Truth About Cars' review of the 2008 STI. Doesn't sound like he likes it...
Excerpt wrote:When I bought my second Rex, I nearly bit the bullet and went STI. But I like to haul more than ass. So I sacrificed balls-out speed for cargo capacity and bought the five-door WRX (again). The good news: starting now, Subaru's hottest rally-bred machine is available only as a hatch. The bad news: the new STI costs $14k more than the WRX. Is it worth it?

Not from the look of it. I wonder how far the STI's development had progressed when GM sold its shares to Toyota; the front of this sucker resembles a partial-birth Saabortion. Subie designers must have had a running bet to see who can fashion the world's most grotesque cars nose. The STI's rump is also ugly against all odds. Clear Lexus RX style taillights? Yuck. Quad tailpipes? The STI only has four cylinders for Malcolm Bricklin's sake!
--Alan