GC8 exhaust question

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

GC8 exhaust question

Post by Cereb Daithi »

My buddy with the GC8 RS offered to sell me his exhaust. What I wana know is... will that fit on a 2005 RS? I hope to take a look at it this friday to see if the bend and hangers at least match up. But does anyone know offhand if they use the same setup?
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

guess noone knows.

it might be a moot point anyways. he wants my exhaust PLUS $150 cash... am i crazy or is that just plain silly

his is an 01 gc8.the exhaust cost him like $500 and its not exactly in mint condition.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Let me get this straight - does your buddy have a stock GC8 exhaust? If so, he wants to go from the stock '01 exhaust to a stock '05 exhaust? That seems odd to me.

For the record, a GC exhaust should match up to an RS (GD). The Impreza exhaust system has been pretty much unchanged for a couple generations.

Just in case, you could do a quick check - when you swap exhausts with your buddy, pull into a parking lot or someone's driveway / neighborhood and swap them at the same time. That way, if they don't match up, just refuse to go through with the swap. But I suspect they're interchangable.

--Alan
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

nah he has a Tanabe Racing Medallion catback.... however its been parked outside for the last 5 years... so it's not exactly in great condition.

I'm gona have one of my buddies at subaru check for sure if this will fit or not just to save myself the hassle... those damn spring-bolts ont the main cat are a serious pita.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Since Colin has intimate knowledge of the exhaust system from 02-05 Imprezas, and also has a GC-8, I think he would be the best one to ask directly.

Mebbeh he could peer under the new car and give you his impressions of the fittment.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

From what I remember, the GC8's are off by one exhaust hangar - as in one fewer hangar. It should bolt up to your system just fine, it'll only have one fewer hangar to attach.

But it might be worth calling any shop like eatcoast swappers or garage tuning or and ask them.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

alright well. the car should be coming back from the shop shortly. When it does I plan to start modding it like ive been talking about for the past half year. Here is what I'm thinking. (it definetly isnt cheap but the car will sound like a monster)

as far as intake/exhaust is concerned

Weapon-R intake (thanks julian for the suggestion)
Borla Headers
Stromung 2.5" Headerback system dual tipped exhaust (with HFC)

the result will be something like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzxPnQpDY4

Barring the fact that its an expensive setup is there any reason i should avoid doing this? Keep in mind i'm N/A so 2.5 is the biggest i can go really without having to be worried about pressure issues

The springs, HID projectors, STi interior, foglights, corner splitters, and other small mods (like the pink star logo) are going on as well around the same time... all together im thinking this might be one of the nicest GD6s out there (not saying a whole lot haha but still)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

well, with that exhaust setup, we will be able to hear you comming down from PA for a meet.

You are being to gonna be LOUD.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

How much P0wa is that going to give you to the wheels? Just curious :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

i duno ive heard guesses of as much as 10-30whp increase and like 10% better fueal economy... im guessing those are very "optimistic" guesses. im not really doing it for power... if i wanted power i would have gotten a turbo
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

You'll have to move a hanger and rotate a flange.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

thanks sam. actually i have another question.. it looks like the HFC is actually a 2.25" pipe while the rest of the system is 2.5" (it doesnt look like stromung sells a 2.5" HFC)... will more flange-work need to be done to join these two up or do they just fit together as part of the stromung system? And apart from the Flange/hangar work i should have no other problems with the header/headerback? Haha I'm just trying to avoid any surprises since i seem to have SH*T luck with exhausts