New turbo tune results - hrmph

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

serendipity
I'm a n000b

New turbo tune results - hrmph

Post by serendipity »

Well, I'm a little disappointed in my "experiment" with the APS SR50 turbo. Despite the claims, I didn't make the power I wanted to. Maybe my car is a dog.

We had a lot of problems getting the car to make more power. We installed the ABC (just a bleed valve), but it wasn't clear we were gonna be able to get the boost up with that, so we slapped an MBC on there. That let us get the boost necessary, but it's manual :(

After we got the boost straightened out, the car just would not make more power. Nathan suspected it might be the stock BOV leaking, so Jermaine crushed it. May have helped a bit, but still seemed a little off, so an RFL went on. That I guess made it predictable, but still just hit a wall at about 325whp.

So the final results on pump gas were 325whp. I suspect it had more in it - I think TurboXS tends to tune nice and safe - Nathan said he could get a few more horses, but it would take a while. I said let's call it a day for pump gas. Boost ended up at about 22psi. I need to look at a log and see what the MAF value is to see how much air is actually flowing.

Next went the C16. Boost was cranked up to about 26psi, and it put down 375whp. Nathan and Jermaine both seemed to think it had more if I wanted to crank the boost up higher, but I didn't want to push it.

So we stopped at roughly 325/330 on pump, and 375/380 (hp/tq) on C16. Not tooooo bad, but I was really hoping to make 350 on pump and over 400 on race gas.

The car seems to feel pretty quick, but it's tough to tell. The BOV makes things really weird when shifting or just letting off the gas - seems like there's much more of a jerk than their used to be, so I think that's throwing off the butt dyno.

My car may actually just be a dog, though - on the txs stage 2 base map, where otherwise stock STis (Turbo back + utec), people tend to make around 280-290. I made about 275 on that map WITH the SR50. So either the dyno was cranky, or I have a dog, or the new turbo just threw off the basemap. I didn't have a chance to actually drive it hard with the new turbo to see how it felt before the tune.

But I picked up more products from the turboXS line - I now have their intake, exhaust, utec, boost controller, blow off, and the new Tuner (as opposed to the old, then new, Tuner Pro). I'll stick that in and maybe futz around with the maps a little bit. Next comes a front mount. After that, GT-35R :)
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

What?!!! Something must be wrong. You were at 19 lbs and 316 when I left. I know that other STi's with stock turbo and turbo back are making 318ish. What is up with that? I am surprised that Jermaine/Nathan could not figure out why? Big turbo, Big Injectors, Big Fuel pump, Big piping, Big Money spent on Tuning= BIG HORSE POWER!!!!!!

So, you have more parts I see. You mentioned their exhaust, did you get the rfl muffler as well or do you still have the same? If you find that the rfl bov is too loud for you I will trade you at type H if you like and maybe a little cash. Just let me know.
Sorry to hear about the power issues. I am really surprised!

I will take the stock intercooler off your hands when you are ready. It will work fine on my system. Basically, I am building Patricks car in wagon fashion! Just keep on shoving me the parts!
I will always be the DRNWAGN!
serendipity
I'm a n000b

Post by serendipity »

DRNWAGN wrote:What?!!! Something must be wrong. You were at 19 lbs and 316 when I left. I know that other STi's with stock turbo and turbo back are making 318ish. What is up with that? I am surprised that Jermaine/Nathan could not figure out why? Big turbo, Big Injectors, Big Fuel pump, Big piping, Big Money spent on Tuning= BIG HORSE POWER!!!!!!

So, you have more parts I see. You mentioned their exhaust, did you get the rfl muffler as well or do you still have the same? If you find that the rfl bov is too loud for you I will trade you at type H if you like and maybe a little cash. Just let me know.
Sorry to hear about the power issues. I am really surprised!

I will take the stock intercooler off your hands when you are ready. It will work fine on my system. Basically, I am building Patricks car in wagon fashion! Just keep on shoving me the parts!
Yeah, I'm confused as well. I definitely made more power after the tune than before, with just their basemap (325 vs 270), which is why I think maybe my car is just a dog. I dunno.

I still have the magnaflow muffler - it's loud as piss when it's wound out! I doubt I'll swap to the RFL unless I find someone who wants to swap for my magnaflow to quiet it down or something.

I've seen other cars make MUCH more power with the SR50 - it really should, it's a 50lb/minute compressor. The turbine is relatively small, but I don't know if that can really explain the weak power.

Since I picked up a tuna, I might try to tweak some things - Nathan showed me a bit about how to squeeze more power out if I want to spend the time. One problem is that when I refilled the coolant, I didn't obey the proper 50/50 mix of coolant + water - I added coolant until I thought I had filled half of what we dumped, then started adding water, but it didn't take much more water at all to fill it up, so the car was having a tough time cooling down fast enough. A couple degrees might get me another whp or two.

I'll try to drive it this morning and see if it really feels better. Last night on the last gallon or so of race gas was pretty quick. Spool is a bit slower than stock, but much smoother. I think even despite the slower spool, it's still moving more air than the stock turbo would across the board, so I don't think it hurt my area under the curve at all down low.
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I really have to think that something is going on. For the amount of money spent and the size of the turbo I would just think that there would be more hp to be had.

I sent the video on the dcwad list this morning. If you did not get it let me know. I think it would be neat to see a link to it here on the thread but that is totally up to you.

Hey it only took me an hour to figure out how to get it from the computer to email. What a wacked out program for the camera stuff! In any case, I think I have watched it about 3 times this morning.

I just found this. Here is a link to the sound clip from my old exhuast.

http://www.staticx313.com/exclip3.wav

Oh how I miss that sound!
I will always be the DRNWAGN!
serendipity
I'm a n000b

Post by serendipity »

I did get the movie - thanks. Unfortunately I'm having trouble sticking it on my server. In the meantime, here's a less-friendly link:

http://serendipity.sakoku.net/sti-dyno.mpg

I'm gonna get the tuna hooked up today and see if I can get some more out of it. Maybe I just had a bad tank of gas or something.